2015 Mazda 2 Sedan

sjonburi

Nice looking car with proper specs:

1.5 Skyactiv G 115 HP / 148 NM @ 4000 Rpm.

6 sp automatic (6 sp manual not yet confirmed )

1026 kg kerb weight. smile.png

410 liter boot space.

4320 x 1695 x 1495 mm

wheelbase 2570 mm.

ABS + EBD + brake assist.

Dual airbags.

Stability / traction control (probably only high end spec)

idling stop system

DRL

Reverse camera

7" LCD touchscreen (no navifation)

mazda-2-sedan-theo-1-850x386.jpg

mazda-2-sedan-theo-3-850x456.jpg

Edited by sjonburi

113hp? Oh dear. Seen them on the road and they look nice in the 5 door version. this Mazda shares the same chassis and underpinnings as the volvo v40 and the Ford Focus.

Ford's part bin car with a weak engine. It's just too underpowered.

Sent from my LG-D858

113hp? Oh dear. Seen them on the road and they look nice in the 5 door version. this Mazda shares the same chassis and underpinnings as the volvo v40 and the Ford Focus.

Sent from my LG-D858

Sorry think your a long way behind...... 'cutting ties with Ford in 2008. As such, it is the first in what the company is calling a "new generation" Mazda, developed from the ground up with no platform sharing with the Ford'

Likewise with Volvo........ dated September 2009......... 'By 2014 Ford Motor Company will have all of its vehicles on its new global platforms. Doing this will cut costs by 20%. Only Ford and Lincoln will use these platforms. No other brands that Ford previously owned, such as Mazda or Volvo'

You're half correct.

Volvo v40 uses a modified focus chassis and the newest skyactiv is new and finally ford free.

I stand corrected but 113hp makes it so unattractive. 148nm of torque is even worse.

Yes, all Volvo's will so say have a new chassis within 2 years, the V40 by May 2015

The Volvo XC90 is the first car to be built on the Volvo’s new Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) modular chassis technology developed in-house

Why?

power-to-weight ratio is pretty good.

I stand corrected but 113hp makes it so unattractive. 148nm of torque is even worse.

I agree power to weight is not that bad.

8.9kg per HP for the Maz 2.

Not sure why the Focus is mentioned in a thread about a Maz 2 as they are different class vehicles but anyways, the focus (2.0) is 8.6kg per HP.

Sent from my LG-D858

That's fast. Launch date for Thailand is January 2015?

Sent from my LG-D858

That's fast. Launch date for Thailand is January 2015?
I fail at reading. I thought Mazda 3.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^Yeah, I read the BKK Post article about that yesterday. That will make it an interesting B segment possible leader. However, they said they also wanted to put it in the new CX-3 Mini SUV to compete with Ecosport and Juke, but that if they did that, it would exceed CO2 benchmarks and therefore the diesel CX-3 might not make it to Thailand.

Seems the new Mazda 2 will also available with the 1.5 skyactiv diesel engine. 105 HP / 250 NM / 26.4 km/l.

Unlikely we'll see it in TH though - the 1.5L skyactiv gasoline engine is cheaper to manufacture, and gets taxed at 22% vs. diesel at 30%.

Diesel really only makes sense, taxation-wise, in pickups and PPV's which are taxed at 3% to 20% - or if packaged with an electric motor (i.e. hybrid), which would then result in 10% excise tax.

Seems the new Mazda 2 will also available with the 1.5 skyactiv diesel engine. 105 HP / 250 NM / 26.4 km/l.

Unlikely we'll see it in TH though - the 1.5L skyactiv gasoline engine is cheaper to manufacture, and gets taxed at 22% vs. diesel at 30%.

Diesel really only makes sense, taxation-wise, in pickups and PPV's which are taxed at 3% to 20% - or if packaged with an electric motor (i.e. hybrid), which would then result in 10% excise tax.

I stand corrected!

Mazda has negotiated raising the maximum capacity for diesel engined eco-cars from 1400 to 1500cc, which drops the tax on the diesel Mazda2 from 30% to just 17%.

It will almost certainly be the biggest stand out in the eco car segment, when it launches later this year - who would want an anaemic 1.3L gasoline engine, when you can spend a little more and get turbo diesel torque?

The diesel torque that this engines produces combined with a ± 1000 kg kerb weight should definitely bring some interesting acceleration numbers.. the low compression ratio of 14.8 : 1 enables linear torque from 1500 rpm all the way to redline (5200 rpm) The B segment in Thailand just got a lot more interesting :)

• Like 1

Let's see what features they cut out in the thai version. You mentioned a rear camera. The Mazda 3 also has that in other countries but not here along with like 15 other features (not kidding). Neither does it have parking sensors which is really ridicolous as the current (old) Mazda 2 has them. If this new Mazda 2 gets the rear cam then I'd feel doubly stupid to buy the 3. I really want this car but alas, I don't like to bend over.

The diesel torque that this engines produces combined with a ± 1000 kg kerb weight should definitely bring some interesting acceleration numbers.. the low compression ratio of 14.8 : 1 enables linear torque from 1500 rpm all the way to redline (5200 rpm) The B segment in Thailand just got a lot more interesting smile.png

I read the 6 speed auto is very sweet too...better than the manual version. If the price is below 700K it should sell well, but not sure if Thais will now accept a diesel sedan.

The diesel torque that this engines produces combined with a ± 1000 kg kerb weight should definitely bring some interesting acceleration numbers.. the low compression ratio of 14.8 : 1 enables linear torque from 1500 rpm all the way to redline (5200 rpm) The B segment in Thailand just got a lot more interesting smile.png

The implications for B-segment SUV's is also interesting - if they mate the 1.5L diesel skyactiv drivetrain to the new CX-3, and Honda get a move-on with their 1.0L turbo for the HR-V, all I can say is Ford had better mate an AT to the 1.0L ecoboost in the Ecosport really soon, or lose the segment.

We asked about the M2 at Promenada today. Ehile there, we looked at the cars on display. Quite surprised that the missus noticed that a Proton Somethingorother had a better quality interior than the M3. I'd still prefer a Mazda to a Proton though.