Spent over $2,000 USD to get another tourist visa - horror story!

sounds like there was a lack of planning on your part.

Also , you have been in touch with the ministry of education & your meeting with an attorney .....

Do you think the attorney's costs will be free of charge ?

Why waste more time and money .... didn't you do enough of that already !!

Why not move on .... better planning next time . wai2.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many, there appears tohave been a sense of security that you could stay in thailand indefinitely, as mexicans do in the usa. After settling down and buying all your household goods, establishing a home life, and possibly falling for a local girl, you now fly out and do the visa dance.

I read a post from a Japanese tourist who paid a hefty bribe to come in. Perhaps this is now spreading, and you are wearing that tourist hat with deer antlers and a t shirt with a big bull's eye on the back. I bet if you paid a bribe, you would get what you want. This is all very sad, but the crackdown has led to even more corruption.

If we do not understand the system, how do you figure that the schools you attend have teachers that even care, or understand it themselves. They should register with immigration and get the knowlege. Perhaps they have your money already, and are not inclined.

Edited by slipperylobster

"And, she starts getting angry with me - why don't you speak to them in Thai she says!"

Funny to hear this, you can tell your teacher that she's very stupid then but most thai people have never been in an embassy so they dont even know that most employees are local residents and not thai people to deal with locals in their own language...

If people have warned you about this school, you should have asked around for more information or look on the web.

And when going to an embassy, always check in advance for local holidays.

In the end, most teachers in schools have no knowledge whatsoever and they would be the last persons i would listen to from all the schools i have been to here...

Even one time, papers from a school were not ok but they still did not want to admit it and were saying it was the embassy making problems...

Nowadays, its harder to get a visa, just go with visa run companies who know their job and where to get what you need.

At least you had a learning experience and some travel. ^^

"And, she starts getting angry with me - why don't you speak to them in Thai she says!"

Funny to hear this, you can tell your teacher that she's very stupid then but most thai people have never been in an embassy so they dont even know that most employees are local residents and not thai people to deal with locals in their own language...

If people have warned you about this school, you should have asked around for more information or look on the web.

And when going to an embassy, always check in advance for local holidays.

In the end, most teachers in schools have no knowledge whatsoever and they would be the last persons i would listen to from all the schools i have been to here...

Even one time, papers from a school were not ok but they still did not want to admit it and were saying it was the embassy making problems...

Nowadays, its harder to get a visa, just go with visa run companies who know their job and where to get what you need.

At least you had a learning experience and some travel. ^^

School of hard knocks.

• Like 1

If the O.P.can speak Thai well enough to converse at Thai Consulates whats he going to a Language School for if not just to by pass the regs.coffee1.gif

Another joker with his guilty until proven innocent bullshit. You do realize there are intermediate and advanced courses too?

Ive been here long enough to know very few use it for Education.It gets abused by some Schools, Wallen doesn't condone that sort of thing.

I don't know your specific case but it's possible that we make a mistake from time to time. Sometimes students also don't follow instructions, sometimes a new document is required by authorities that was not required before etc. Helping students with obtaining ED visas is not easy as things change from time to time, recently there have been a lot of changes and the MOE is working slowly and immigration is scrutinizing students more. We've just had a two day audit from the immigration and they were satisfied with how we run the school. In any case genuine effort is made to provide quality service to Walen students but mistakes occasionally happen.

I'm going to file a complaint with the Ministry of Education. I'm going to show them my paperwork and they will see the problem right away. I don't want other innocent people to go through the same problems I went through. I also have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow.

Walen is too far away for me. I would pay $2,000 not to make the drive to Walen from Patong everyday.

Thank you for your posting. I hope it will help others to avoid problems in the future.

As for your situations. Well I am sure your attorney will be happy to take your money. You are in Thailand and honestly I don't think any Thai could really care at all about your problem. I've been in Asia for 8+ years and heard the "I will contact my attorney" thing from people so many times. Never in those years did I ever hear of anyone who had any success with attorneys and complaints.

Sounds like your school is at fault but you are a foreigner in Thailand and why should anyone listen or care about what you say?

Lack of preparation on the part of the OP. Sympathise about the cost but not the bad decisions you made by not listening or doing your homework.

Also the comment about "Walen is too far away for me. I would pay $2000 not to make the drive to Walen from Patong every day" - well it looks like you got your wish on that one.

Oh, the tangled web we weave...

'nuff said

~

".......or there's one born every minute??" I had no problem in HCMC - dress nice, be polite, make sure the paperwork is legible and 'Voila" a Visa magically appears in your Passport.coffee1.gif

I can't help but feel like you brought lots of this on yourself. The visa services advised you that you would be rejected but you ignored their advice and went ahead anyway. Then you flew to another country and used incomplete and unsigned documents again, even though you were advised that you'd be rejected.What's th point of asking a visa service for advice and then ignoring it? Yes, your school was also at fault, but it should have been obvious early on that what you were doing was wrong. You were told it was wrong but persisted in doing the wrong thing hoping for a different result. Hopefully you've learnt a valuable lesson.

I would have just gone back to Thailand and signed up with a different school. Not sure why you kept listening to someone that was so obviously giving you incorrect advice. If someone told me to talk Thai to someone who obviously could not speak it, I'd give up with them because it's obvious they don't know what they are talking about.

• Like 2

Did you look at the examples pinned on the board in Vientiane Consulate?

All documents must be signed in original pen.

Letters need to be original for obvious reasons..

Plenty of people doing NON 0 ED Visa at Laos.

If you had of walked to the van with a guy wearing a white limo shirt, he would of taken you to the airport for 150b and visa versa from thai laos embassy about 200b

Edited by Sayonarax

I'm going to file a complaint with the Ministry of Education. I'm going to show them my paperwork and they will see the problem right away. I don't want other innocent people to go through the same problems I went through. I also have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow.

Walen is too far away for me. I would pay $2,000 not to make the drive to Walen from Patong everyday.

Would you be interested in an on-line school?

It wasn't Walen! Whatever we do is most reliable. Not the cheapest though so those who are overly price sensitive go to competitors and often end up with many expensive problems. But hey! saving 2,000 was such a great deal, wasn't it?

What a smug answer which offers no help to the OP. If I was him I certainly wouldn't be beating your door down given your arrogance.

• Like 2

It wasn't Walen! Whatever we do is most reliable. Not the cheapest though so those who are overly price sensitive go to competitors and often end up with many expensive problems. But hey! saving 2,000 was such a great deal, wasn't it?

What a smug answer which offers no help to the OP. If I was him I certainly wouldn't be beating your door down given your arrogance.

I am accustomed to that, there are people who like Walen School very much and those who do not like us so much, however those you decided to use our service are usually satisfied with our teaching and ED visa assistance. We have branches in many places and all are busy so we must be doing a lot of things right. The question is what are the other choices? There are some but there is just one definitely good choice and that would be Walen.

I am accustomed to that, there are people who like Walen School very much and those who do not like us so much, however those you decided to use our service are usually satisfied with our teaching and ED visa assistance. We have branches in many places and all are busy so we must be doing a lot of things right. The question is what are the other choices? There are some but there is just one definitely good choice and that would be Walen.

You are a sponcer of this forem, so I can not say anything.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dutchissan that is very true, and the forum really needs sponsors. I think other schools could also benefit by sponsoring TV but are not doing it. They would like to get business but are not willing to spend any money on promotion. That is interesting, isn't it? They have to rely on free advertising given by well wishing members who just don't want Walen to get more customers. . When bashing Walen this fact is usually omitted. I don't even see any owners of other schools participating too, that would be hard if they are not willing to spend any money for supporting this forum. This is just a side note in reference to your post.

Edited by MacWalen

Sorry this happened - a terrible ordeal!

FYI, I've had my very worst experience in HCMC. Dealing with a nasty woman who clearly hated life in general or just foreigners.

I had a free flight with Emirates but she wanted a printed and confirmed reservation, showing that I had a flight booked leaving the kingdom after 60 days.

AFAIK, don't bother with the embassy in HCMC, unless this individual (she was alone and I was the only customer at the time) was removed. Some people just enjoy denying others what they need.

I also had had my ED visa rejected in HCMC. They did not want to give me a reason. I had perfect documentation and paperwork.

The brainless moron working there told me I could get a tourist visa instead.

I answered her that I will still go to school with tourist visa, so why not give me a 3 month ED visa?

Her little cognitive abilities were not enough to manage an answer.

I then told them this documentation will get me an ED visa in Vientiane or Penang without any problem, so why not give me one already from your embassy? It will pocket the visa application fee, I WILL get my ED visa anyway.

A bovine look was the only answer I could get.

Actually, if you call them by phone and ask if it is possible to get an ED visa there, they tell you sure no problem.

IT'S A TRAP! DON'T GO THERE!

My guess is that they enjoy luring tourist in the city and then get delighted as they see a mix of anger, incomprehension and disbelief when they reject their visa application for no reason whatsoever. Borderline sadistic if you ask me.

That's a shame because the flights to the city are cheap and it's a great place to spend a few days in the region.

• Like 1