Back to back visas, Vientiane, return tickets and the crackdown

That time has come again, when my tourist visa is about to expire.

I'm living with my girlfriend here. Not working in Thailand. Not married. Under 50. Tourist visa is the only choice for me to stay here in my situation. I don't want to be breaking any laws.

So naturally, I've got a few tourist visas in my passport. Two doubles, a couple of visa-exemptions, and a single Tourist Visa (my current visa).

My most recent visa I got in my home country (Single entry), and I want to stay further in the Kingdom. I have two choices.

I can go back to my home, or go to Laos (as I have done for the other two double-visas).

I would be applying for a new double-visa in both cases, however, this would be my first back-to-back tourist visa without returning back to my home country if I go to Laos.

The last two double-visas, I've gone back home, got an exception stamp (30 days by air), travel to Laos within 30 days to get a new double-visa, and when the visa is expired go back home and repeat.

Most recently, I got a tourist visa at home, as I didn't want to have to travel to Laos within 30 days. Staying for 2 months with a 1 month extension was easier.

This time, I'm trying to cut down on costly travel. Laos is looking like a good option over having to buy a new air ticket to Thailand again after returning home.

However, I have some concerns, especially with the recent 'visa crackdown' I've read about a couple of months ago.

1. Has anyone had any troubles getting a back-to-back tourist visa in Vientiane recently? The last report I found on this site was about 3 months ago. Has anything changed?
  2. Would getting a back-to-back Visa from my home country (Australia) affect my chances of being accepted for a new visa or not?
  3. How has the 'visa crackdown' affected people going to get back-to-back tourist visas like myself? I understand that border-bouncers with exception stamps and no real visas are high-risk, but what about one with a legit tourist visa?
  4. Upon getting a visa in Laos and/or returning to Thailand (at the immigration border check), do I need to show proof (or is there a chance that I will need to show proof) of a ticket back to my home country, or show proof of leaving Thailand? I don't really want to buy a new air ticket right now, as I'm not sure when, during my 6 month stay on the double visa I will want to go back to my home country (or if I will want to apply for a new visa) and it can be a costly hassle to have to change my flight. Would I need to show any other proof, such as proof of funds?

What would you guys (and gals) recommend? Do you have any additional points or advice over anything I've overlooked?

Thanks all, you're great!

There is no problem with repeated tourist visa from either Vientane or Savannakhet. If they have an issue they will ask you for some proof of funds, and issue a single entry one. Savannakhet has the advantage of issuing the visa on the same day, and there is much less people, The corresponding border posts also do not raise issues at re-entry. You don't need a ticket or anything else to cross at these posts.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

I am not advertis for this company but it very good and the guide can talk to worker if any rejection, it sure help you a lot then you go alone in Embassy yourself I just came back and it's good and cheap only 3,000 Baht exluded visa fees, Mail me as I may not mention company name in forum

Edited by Bkungbank

for what is worth, as far as costs are concerned probably cheaper to find a girlfriend in Australia! However some people do not have that option, hence, Thailand. At the moment there are no problems in obtaining tourist visas in Vientiane. Entering Thailand at the Nong Khai border is also pretty relaxed. They have periodically asked for some documents such as hotel reservations, proof of funds or travel documents (which is wthin their optiins) but is not common.

It appears this would be your first visa from Vientiane so you would not be getting any back to back visa from them. That is the only visas they count. You will have no problem getting a 2 entry tourist visa from them.

There is no rule against back to back visas other than from the same location and not all of them even count those.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Actually, my double visas (2 of them) I got in Vientiane, and one single (my latest), I got in Perth.

Hopefully they don't have an issue issuing me a 3rd should I go again, but they were quite relaxed about it when I went several months ago.

for what is worth, as far as costs are concerned probably cheaper to find a girlfriend in Australia! However some people do not have that option, hence, Thailand.

There is certainly that option, or perhaps I just found a very special someone, and I would prefer her over any other girl I've met.

Now, let's get back on-topic.

• Like 1

Actually, my double visas (2 of them) I got in Vientiane, and one single (my latest), I got in Perth.

Hopefully they don't have an issue issuing me a 3rd should I go again, but they were quite relaxed about it when I went several months ago.

For a change you can go to Savannakhet and have it issued the same day.

Why didn't you get a 3 entry in Perth.

You no longer will be getting a back to back visa from Vientiane since your most recent visa was not from them.

You will have no problem getting another one from them or Savannakhet.

• Like 1

Things seem to have settled down to almost what it was before the crackdown except with the back to back visa exempt entries. Just like with every crackdown before this one. Two months of hassle and then business as usual.laugh.png

Edited by Timwin

Can anyone please tell me how to add new topic regarding passports ( new and old ) overstay and getting new non b to get work permit?

Just go to the main forum page and click the start new topic button in the upper right corner of the the page.

this is just to tell you always be politely to the embassy staff and don't be drunk. If you drink then drink later. If you go to Laos beer lao is a very good beer...

Haha. That sounds like you had some personal experience? tongue.png

You no longer will be getting a back to back visa from Vientiane since your most recent visa was not from them.

Ahh. They have 3 entry from Perth?

I will definitely be checking that out next time, however, I don't recall seeing that option when I applied for my visa.

Thanks, all! Always a great help.

Edited by xebozone

this is just to tell you always be politely to the embassy staff and don't be drunk. If you drink then drink later. If you go to Laos beer lao is a very good beer...

Haha. That sounds like you had some personal experience? tongue.png

I will definitely be checking that out next time, however, I don't recall seeing that option when I applied for my visa.

i think you would only have 12 months to use the 3 entries?

that would mean it more suited to someone doing a few short trips in and out, not staying the whole time in Thailand?

Hope someone can correct

i think you would only have 12 months to use the 3 entries?

that would mean it more suited to someone doing a few short trips in and out, not staying the whole time in Thailand?

Hope someone can correct

A 3 entry tourist visa would be valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

You can get almost 270 days of total stay from a 3 entry visa by doing a 30 day extension of each entry. Every day you get your visa before entering is lost from the total amount of stay possible.