Nurse infected with Ebola in Spain

webfact

Ebola outbreak: Nurse infected in Spain

MADRID: -- Spanish Health Minister Ana Mato has confirmed that a nurse who treated two victims of Ebola in Madrid has tested positive for the disease.

The nurse is said to be the first person in the current outbreak known to have contracted Ebola outside Africa.

The woman was part of the team that treated Spanish priests Manuel Garcia Viejo and Miguel Pajares, who both died of the virus, officials say.

Some 3,400 people have died in the outbreak - mostly in West Africa.

Meanwhile US President Barack Obama has said the White House is considering extra screening at US airports for people arriving from the worst-affected countries in West Africa.

He said the chances for an Ebola outbreak in the US were extremely low, but vowed to step up the pressure on larger countries to help with efforts to contain the disease.

It comes as the US tries to limit the spread from its first confirmed case, a Liberian in Dallas.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29514920

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-07

If the so called experts stopped assisting the virus spread when they transfer infected patients to their home countries it may just slow the spread down.

Keep the virus and infected patients confined the the countries it originated in.

Edited by Farma

...never heard it mentioned that there were infected patients in Spain...or any other parts of Europe...

BBC has just said

75% chance it will be in France by Oct 24th and 50% chance in the UK by the same date.

The CDC and WHO insist it is very difficult to catch Ebola but some how reasonably intelligent (trained health care workers) with all the equipment necessary for protection continue to become infected. Is the WHO and CDC trying to minimize panic in the public, at the experience of the truth about how contagious Ebola is. Not really sure. blink.png

I was reading in the Daily Mail that:--

"there is a 50% chance a traveler carrying the disease could touch down in the UK by October 24th a team of US researchers have predicted"

"and Belgium has a 40% chance of seeing the disease arrive on its territory while SPAIN & Switzerland have lower risks of 14%"

Well the latest news of the Spanish nurse kicks the researchers predictions right out the window.

Lock down Africa that's the only way to stop it.

Looks like the UK may be sooner than 24th to see its first case!

Obama said the WH is considering...

what is that supposed to mean?

Perhaps it means some investigation, thought is being applied. Who administers the tests? Who trains them in applying the tests? What are the airline, departing airports implications as how to accomplish this? I am sorry to say too many in the U.S., perhaps elsewhere, think that one can waive a magic wand and everything is immediately done without any mental effort, which seems to be severely lacking in our populace.

The CDC and WHO insist it is very difficult to catch Ebola but some how reasonably intelligent (trained health care workers) with all the equipment necessary for protection continue to become infected.

It's an occupational hazard. Electricians are more likely to receive dangerous electrical shocks because of their job, even though they are highly trained and should know better (I speak from experience here). And construction workers are more prone to falling off roofs, and seamstresses are more likely to get their fingers jammed under a sewing machine needle, and... well you get the idea.

Besides, people are fallible. Protocols get skipped. Needle pricks happen. It gets damn hot under those bio-hazard suits. All it takes is a moment's forgetfulness and an absent-minded hand reaches under a face shield to wipe a sweaty brow and now you're infected.

More people quarantined after Ebola fears in Spain, officials say

Four more people have been placed under quarantine at a Madrid hospital as officials there try to stop the spread of Ebola beyond one confirmed case.

That case, a nursing assistant who was infected after helping care for 69-year-old Manuel Garcia Viejo, was the first known transmission of the disease outside of West Africa in the current outbreak.

The nursing assistant, identified in news reports as Teresa Romero Ramos, was diagnosed Monday and is being treated at the Carlos III Hospital in Madrid. Her husband has also been quarantined there.

In addition to Romero and her husband, one man and one woman, both nurses, were hospitalized Wednesday and are exhibiting “mild symptoms,” officials say. The nurses were part of the team that helped treat Viejo.

Two other doctors who have been helping treat Romero have also agreed to voluntary quarantine at the same hospital, bringing the total number of people under quarantine to six.

More here - Latimes

Ebola: 'British man dies of deadly virus in Macedonia and one other taken ill'

Officials were urgently investigating reports that a British citizen has died of Ebola in Macedonia and another has contracted the disease. The Macedonian Health Ministry said the Britons had travelled to the country from the UK, raising fears that they might already have passed it on to friends or family.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ebola-british-national-dies-of-deadly-virus-in-macedonia-9785759.html

This shit is starting to get scary

Scary and apparently no QUICK fix either:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/stop-ebola-from-becoming-worlds-next-aids-implores-cdc-chief/

The deadly spread of Ebola in West Africa is something unseen since the outbreak of AIDS, Thomas Frieden, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Thursday.
“I would say that in the 30 years I’ve been working in public health, the only thing like this has been AIDS,” he told a top-level Ebola forum in Washington.
“It’s going to be a long fight,” he told the heads of the United Nations, World Bank and International Monetary Fund gathered in Washington.
“We have to work now so that it is not the world’s next AIDS.”

Officials were urgently investigating reports that a British citizen has died of Ebola in Macedonia and another has contracted the disease. The Macedonian Health Ministry said the Britons had travelled to the country from the UK, raising fears that they might already have passed it on to friends or family.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ebola-british-national-dies-of-deadly-virus-in-macedonia-9785759.html

MJP, when this disease hits Thailand, its going to spread lime wildfire. I am heading back Stateside until we see how it plays out.

Don't worry fellow TV members, I will still have internet and remain a positive minded contributor to the forum.

This is now being reported as possibly not Ebola.

Uh oh.

The numbers are not looking good:

“The virus is moving on virus time; we’re moving on bureaucracy or program time,” said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. “The virus is actually picking up the pace. Even as we add resources, we get farther behind.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/the-ominous-math-of-the-ebola-epidemic/2014/10/09/3cad9e76-4fb2-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html

when this disease hits Thailand, its going to spread lime wildfire.

Why do you think that?

The frightening thing is the mortality rate may have been massively downplayed or underestimated.

I'm almost loathe to say it but a decent pandemic will solve a lot of the worlds problems. perhaps this is natures answer to man made problems.

• Like 1

The frightening thing is the mortality rate may have been massively downplayed or underestimated.

I'm almost loathe to say it but a decent pandemic will solve a lot of the worlds problems. perhaps this is natures answer to man made problems.

You might not be so glib about it, if you end up being counted among the number of people who go towards "solving" the problem.

You might not be so glib about it, if you end up being counted among the number of people who go towards "solving" the problem.

Not glib at all, the exact opposite in fact, I'm merely being factual.

Why do you think that?

CM,

My thought is that this is a tropical destination where people are often bare-skinned and sweaty with open pores. I would say the prevalence of the sex trade would also increase the risk of transmission through partner contact as well as from sweaty infected bedsheets. Then there is the legitimate massage industry where exists frequent exposure risk through touching and again the contaminated bedding or mats. I then considered that it is common for entire Thai families to live and sleep (habitate) in very close quarters.

This is all based on my understanding that transmission of the virus is from a vector of body fluids and skin-to-skin contact.

Your opinion?

• Like 1

Why do you think that?

CM,

My thought is that this is a tropical destination where people are often bare-skinned and sweaty with open pores. I would say the prevalence of the sex trade would also increase the risk of transmission through partner contact as well as from sweaty infected bedsheets. Then there is the legitimate massage industry where exists frequent exposure risk through touching and again the contaminated bedding or mats. I then considered that it is common for entire Thai families to live and sleep (habitate) in very close quarters.

This is all based on my understanding that transmission of the virus is from a vector of body fluids and skin-to-skin contact.

Your opinion?

Yes, all good points.

But I think Thai's are less tactile than Westerners, there's less hugging and kissing and no shaking hands. I also think that most of the villages are fairly isolated and Thailand is mostly a mass of small villages. I think if I wanted to escape somewhere in Thailand I might go to Mrs CM's village although that might actually be worse than catching Ebola, it'd be a close call at least.

• Like 1