Motorbike Riding In Sea -- Pros And Cons?

I appeciate all the thoughtful replies. Well, the fact is, that after five years in Chiang Mai, I left and am now in Vietnam, where the motorbike situation is even worse and much more chaotic than Thailand.

You've convinced me not to do it. I will find some other way. A small car or something. Also, although in HCM now, with mad, chaotic traffic, I eventually will be in a more peaceful small town hopefully.

They don't make it any easier with the lack of transport options here--there are lots of buses, but they don't run at night. And there are no songtaews, just taxis and cyclos (and motos, but obviously I'm not going to use them)

But I'd love to have more discussion of the motortrike option. Three wheeled bikes strike me as the solution to make motorbike riding a lot safer, and make it safer for pedestrians too. Why don't people do this? Is it because it just hasn't occurred to people that this would make their transportation a lot safer? Or is it because, with the ridiculous macho attitudes that prevail among men, anyone who rides a trike is considered a "sissy"?

I think the idea that driving a trike is safer than a bike is silly. The number of accidents due to some inherent stability or handling problems is probably pretty negligible. If you are really worried about safety yet still want to ride the best thing to do is to make sure you know how to ride and you know how to anticipate and avoid dangerous situations. That and also equipping yourself with a decent helmet and protective gear.

I had a Harley trike back in England and found out I was much safer on 2 wheels.

A trike in Thailand? No way. 3 times the amount of bumps to take as well as making it harder to avoid road crap.

The thought of moving at the same pace as cars in traffic jams sounds nightmarish. A hot sun beating down on you as well as the heat from a hot engine wafting up at you, all the while 2-wheelers are weaving passed you through the jam to get to the front at the lights.

Buy a motorcycle and ride within your limits and the limits of your bike. Once you start overstepping the limits you start opening yourself up for more accidents.

By the way, when you fellows talk about the instability of scooters and the centrifugal/centripetal forces acting on the wheels, are you taking into consideration the fact that the scooter wheels are twice as wide as the motorbike wheels? Does that tend to counteract the instability caused by the tire diameters being smaller?

By the way, when you fellows talk about the instability of scooters and the centrifugal/centripetal forces acting on the wheels, are you taking into consideration the fact that the scooter wheels are twice as wide as the motorbike wheels? Does that tend to counteract the instability caused by the tire diameters being smaller?

Just an observation driving here for the last year

If the police would start to prosecute people for these motoring offences we might see a reduction in the accident rate.

1. Running red lights - happens in pattaya every time I stop at a traggic light, two bikes very close to being hit by cars tonight - within inches trying to run across a busy junction

2. No lights on

3. driving the wrong direction

4. U turns at unofficial spots

5. Speeding in the city/built up areas

I don't care if someone chooses not to wear a helmet, it doesn't endanger other road users.

Pattaya traffic seems to be unpoliced after about 7pm at night........this needs to change, the police also need to start giving tickets for the above mentioned offences, They need a traffic branch 24hrs a day, touring around with a ticket book, only then will things start to improve.

If the police would start to prosecute people for these motoring offences we might see a reduction in the accident rate.

1. Running red lights - happens in pattaya every time I stop at a traggic light, two bikes very close to being hit by cars tonight - within inches trying to run across a busy junction

2. No lights on

I don't care if someone chooses not to wear a helmet, it doesn't endanger other road users.

Pattaya traffic seems to be unpoliced after about 7pm at night........this needs to change, the police also need to start giving tickets for the above mentioned offences, They need a traffic branch 24hrs a day, touring around with a ticket book, only then will things start to improve.

Yes, running red lights is happening far too often - should never happen at all! It's not only bikes that do it though although they are the worst offenders.

Turning left on a red light, which is legal ( in LoS) I believe, at most junctions, is also much abused. This is supposedly only permitted when the road is clear - ha! ha! Have had many near misses when crossing a junction on a green light and nearly being taken out by someone determined to turn left on red, no matter what!

DM

2. No lights on

Yes, running red lights is happening far too often - should never happen at all! It's not only bikes that do it though although they are the worst offenders.

Turning left on a red light, which is legal ( in LoS) I believe, at most junctions, is also much abused. This is supposedly only permitted when the road is clear - ha! ha! Have had many near misses when crossing a junction on a green light and nearly being taken out by someone determined to turn left on red, no matter what!

DM

Same same in Vietnam, except here half the motorists run the red lights, and they make right turns on red. Difference as I recall in the west is that you're supposed to STOP before making a right (or left) turn on red, look to see if it's safe to proceed, and only then, make the turn. Here they just tear around the corner without looking or stopping. It's outrageous.