Cannot Get Wireless Internet on Imac

anon467848

I recently got TOT Wirenet installed at my house. I can get a wifi connection on every desktop, laptop, Ipad, mobile in the house, but for some reason my daughter cannot connect with her Apple Imac.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.....

If your TOT Internet service is not provided over a fixed wire (DSL, cable or Fiber Optic) then you're probably describing the wireless service called TOT WiNet, Internet delivered by point-to-point radios, with an Ethernet cable then connected to a separate WiFi Access Point to provide wireless Ethernet connectivity to your devices.

If this describes your Internet setup, then the connection issue with the Apple iMac will be between it, the WiFi Access Point, or possibly the router responsible for issuing DHCP IP leases.

Does the iMac see the WiFi SSID (WiFi wireless name)?

Does it indicate it's receiving a strong signal from the WiFi AP?

What exactly happens when the iMac tries to connect?

Try this.

1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Click on Network.
  3. Select the required connection in your list and click Advanced.
  4. Select the DNS tab and add 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 to the list of DNS servers.
  5. Click OK
Edited by rhythmworx

If your TOT Internet service is not provided over a fixed wire (DSL, cable or Fiber Optic) then you're probably describing the wireless service called TOT WiNet, Internet delivered by point-to-point radios, with an Ethernet cable then connected to a separate WiFi Access Point to provide wireless Ethernet connectivity to your devices.

If this describes your Internet setup, then the connection issue with the Apple iMac will be between it, the WiFi Access Point, or possibly the router responsible for issuing DHCP IP leases.

Does the iMac see the WiFi SSID (WiFi wireless name)?

Does it indicate it's receiving a strong signal from the WiFi AP?

What exactly happens when the iMac tries to connect?

The set up I have is as you have described above.

The Imac can see the network name but the signal is very weak and sometimes it looses the connection after a minute or so.

[...]

The Imac can see the network name but the signal is very weak and sometimes it looses the connection after a minute or so.

First, you'll need to verify if the WiFi signal is actually weak in that room or the iMac's lack of external antenna is the cause.

Take another working WiFi device and place it next to the iMac. Does the other device still have working WiFi Internet?

If so, then the issue is with the iMac and can be remedied by purchasing an USB WiFi stick that has an External Antenna (preferably also comes with an USB-extension cradle so the WiFi stick can be placed up and away from the computer). TP-Link TL-722nc

mimg902-1281592456.jpg

If the other WiFi device placed next to the iMac suffers the same weak signal then you'll need to look at what may be impeding the WiFi signal from fully propagating into that room.

What is the distance between the WiFi Access Point and the iMac? Same floor? How many walls?

You might try moving the WiFi Access Point to a higher location, away from walls, away from metal, and pointing its antenna(s) straight up.

If possible, a WiFi Access Point should be place at midpoint to All Devices (or where you want to use all the devices).

If you CAN'T move the WiFi Access Point, then the above external USB WiFi device may still improve the signal enough to allow the iMac online.

Another alternative is to purchase and install one of the following:

a stronger WiFi Access Point

a second WiFi Access Point, cabled to the first and places somewhere midway

a wireless WiFi Repeater that can be placed somewhere midway that receives and retransmits the data packets.

a set of AC powerline adapters that use your home electrical as an Ethernet cable

Edited by RichCor

Thanks for all your help guys.

I got an IT guy round to my house and he changed some of the settings in the router and finally got the Imac to work. It took him 2 hours to fix the problem and he claims to have been in IT for 20 years.....

Hopefully the 'fix' lasts.

Sometimes, when you know something should work but isn't, it takes a while to find the setting responsible for it not working.

Though I am wondering what setting would be responsible for a weak WiFi signal to an iMac. Must be a special setting.