Help finding good kindergarten in Chiang Mai (Help finding parent reviews and forums)?

bcarrawa

Hello,

I have been asked by a family friend who is moving their family to Chiang Mai about finding a good kindergarten for their child. They are desperately looking for a good kindergarten and overwhelmed with the options and endless info online. There doesn't seem to be a place where the info is consolidated in a digestible and useful way anywhere - at least we haven't found one yet.

Is there a good forum here for this resource someone could direct me to, or another site with reviews that could help provide some insight? Where do schools advertise? Where are parents talking about this kind of stuff? We would love to find a community of ex-pats that have been down this stressful path and share their insights.

Is there an ex-pat forum specifically regarding Chiang Mai school (Kindergarten) here?

Any info would be helpful. We are all new to the search, but figured we aren't alone and that others have found success somewhere.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Brian

I'd like to qualify this response up front because we are temporary here in Chiang Mai and only expecting to be here another month or so, when we will re-locate to the UK.

We lost our home tutor last week when she went to Europe so we asked friends for kindergarten referrals and were directed to Little Stars Ambassador Bi-Lingual School in Hang Dong by a reliable friend with personal experience. I thought it was a bit far to go and only agreed to go take a look to pacify my wife to be honest. However, when we got there, it was a brand new building, all decked out with proper equipment and there were plenty of staff on hand, certificates to verify competence and a bunch of hiso Thai families as well as Americans with their children who all seemed very happy. I didn't relish the 20 minute 'rat-run' each way to take our daughter in the morning and again at night to pick her up 5 days every week so I asked about a school transport. Lo & behold they had one already in service and we signed up for that too. We only signed up for the mid term break, holiday classes at a weekly charge of 2,500 Baht. I'm sure you can find out the pricing details easily enough from them. You can see them either on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/littlestarsbilingualpreschool or on their own website at: http://www.absbilingualschool.com/ or call them on: 081-9506659

Hope it's of some use to you. PM me if you wish.

All the kindergartens that charge 20k Baht a term and upward seem to be very highly regarded.

What your friends need to consider is, where are they located, what transportation do they have, do their kids need to learn Thai, will they be staying here forever or going back 'home'???

once you have these answers then a more informed answer can be provided, but I don't know of any other forum for school specific info.

After recenty visiting a number of schools for my youngest to attend K1 next year (May 2015) and my older two for grade school next term (Oct. 2014) I chose ABS (Ambassador Bilingual School). If the parent of the prospective student would like to PM me with any inquirers tell them to feel free.

Our son (age 4) studies at Sunshine Kindergarten near Nic's restaurant. He seems to like the school and its environment very much. His language skills, particularly English, are improving steadily. I know that Sunshine Kindergarten has a focus on teaching English (70% emphasis), and I think my son benefits from the fact that there is a native English speaker on the teaching team in every class. It's Phonics based for language with a high level of play-based and activity-based learning.

The school was not originally our first choice. But since Sunshine Kindergarten moved to new ownership earlier this year, we have been very happy with everything from the curriculum to the uptick in small but important details like cleanliness and nutrition. Small class sizes and one Teacher and two TA's per class is also a plus.

We don't need visas, but for those who do, the school also assists with student visas.

Here is their website www.sunshinekindergarten.com

Edited by Andrewcnx

After recenty visiting a number of schools for my youngest to attend K1 next year (May 2015) and my older two for grade school next term (Oct. 2014) I chose ABS (Ambassador Bilingual School). If the parent of the prospective student would like to PM me with any inquirers tell them to feel free.

Near Promenada, very popular with Koreans.

Hello, everyone and thank you for all the quick relies!

Andyfarquar: I have heard of Little Stars in Hang Dong since my friend will likely be living nearby. I'm intrigued with the fact they provide transportation, will they pick up all over town (just curious)? I saw their new location is replacing the old Leo Club, are they merging the Leo school? I wasn't fond of Leo Club and the ownership there previously, so hesitant if the same management would still exist. But I have heard good things about the Little Stars in their previous location. Thank you for the reply and insight!

Super Member: They are looking all over, just focused on the best quality for the dollar. I don't know all the specific criteria they are using, but sounds like their price is flexible depending on quality and reputation. They plan to stay a few years, if not longer depending on the husbands job situation. They are just concerned with the quality here, and are very intimidated with all the options! They will likely drive their children to school, but is it common a kindergarten would pick up and drop off students? I hear about Thai driving habits, and fear that would be a huge liability issue. Thoughts?

Andrewcnx: That's funny you mention Sunshine, as I poked over there for some quick info the other day. The place was in Hang Dong, down the road from Little Star actually, a school previously mentioned here, and seemed pretty legit! The school seemed highly diverse (seemed international) and was told they teach 70% English, with a heavy focus on a Phonics curriculum with native speakers in each class, which is high demand for my friend's family. They said classes were small from Preschool up through K3, and stress nutrition (another concern here in Thailand -sugar intake here for kids is atrocious) so that was appealing as well. All in all, I got a good impression, and the non-sales-y approach I received was nice. It seems great. Anyone else know abut Sunshine or could chime in with some personal experiences of input. So far so good for the price!

Are there many options for Kindergarten in Hang Dong, south of the airport? I want to keep poking around in this area since there seems to be a good ex-pat community down there as well. Anyone live around the area who can share some insight into Hang Dong? Local hangouts where farrang parents gather and chat?

Its too bad (potential business opportunity maybe) there isn't a web-site consolidating school reviews and info for parents intimidated with the enumerable amount of options out there.

Im excited to hear back from everyone, and again, thank you for all the info provided, this is incredible help!

B

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HI,

I am also looking for a preschool. I live in the Doi Saket area...I am looking for a Thai preschool that has an "english program". I am wanting the preschool for my kids to learn Thai as the predominant reason for sending them. I would like the school to have a much higher ratio of Thai students then foreign students. I am not really for the "Thai learning style and system of teaching" so I say with an "english program" because I am learning that if a "Thai run school" has some sort of english program it will have some foreign learning methods/styles that will be included too...A few schools I have found but have not seen any reviews are for TonKla, Suan Noi...Also I know of a school that was started by a Thai couple that speak english, they started their preschool FOR Thai children to have a new method of learning...The curriculum they use comes from Singapore but they have modified some of it for Thai children since the method of learning is foreign for the students and families. Seems like something I would be interested in for my kids BUT This school is very far from us! lol Would anyone know if there was something like this close to me?