So.. the cool & dry season is upon us

WinnieTheKhwai

For the most part it's clearly here/ the change is taking place. I do believe you called the end of the rainy season sometime last week and then a day or two of rains hit, so I'd hesitate to say it's the end of the rain too. Last year was weird also - rather than a clear end to the rain it went on n off all the way into Dec rather than just the rare 1-2 showers in Oct, Nov, Dec. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm all for the weather as it is. A little dark this afternoon, but overall beautiful and temperate.

And yeah, the immediate bump in haze is weird too. But it also would reinforce that a major component of what people complain about is natural atmospheric things and simply visible air. There's no way that pollution built up in 1-2 days, nor did smoke from fires blow in from surrounding regions. It's just thick n balmy air. (Why do I feel like someone's not going to just let these last remarks sit as they are??)

• Like 2

I'm sure you will have to regret your early call!

It seems to me that every single year at the start of october there is no rain, it cools down a bit, and everyone says the rainy season is over. Others have, as usual, been saying this to me.

Then, in the second half of october we get a last blast of rain, as if the rainy season is saying 'fooled ya', and squeezing one last bit of action out of itself.

We have had a rather dry wet season this year, but even so i fully expect this rain to come along, and perhaps it will even stray into november. The key to a drier rainy season is an unusually wet june, which we had this year. But the ending often seems to be a dry first half of october and a wet second half. We shall see!

So, keep those brollies to hand...

• Like 1

Yes, I noticed a distinct drop in temperature at night. But what seems to be new this year (and I've been here 25 years) is a marked increase in aircraft noise over Mae Hia. Is that just the change in the monsoonal winds direction from southwest to northeast?

If so, why does the aircraft noise seem substantially louder than in previous years? Climate change, or my increasing years?

Edited by dru2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A good observation Winnie and a post that will no doubt bring out the "I'm more acclimatized to Thailand than you are" brigade.

Tales of long johns. duck filled down coats, electric heaters and 20 tog duvets to follow. alt=biggrin.png>

Sorry, for those who are unfamiliar with a 'Tog'

http://southdownduvets.com/what-is-tog

The tog is a measure of thermal resistance, commonly used in the textile industry, and often seen quoted on, for example, duvets and carpet underlay.

^ Windows open instead of shut with the aircon on? wink.png

As there's more flight traffic I notice a lot more flights departing towards the North. So that would mean a significant increase over the Nimmanhaemin area, Jed Yod, etc. But not so much Mae Hea really..

Windows more or less permanently partly open - never use air con except March-April at the office. I agree about northern flights... less noticeable last night. Usually it doesn't bother me at all.

This is my favourite time of the year, I much prefer the cool to the hot, and it's a time where I can really change the composition of meals, so we're not eating light things all year around, but can get some almost comfort food on the table. And it's not exactly chilly during the day - in the shade sometimes it is, but you only have to move out to the sun.

Our windows and doors will remain open, I like the air-flow/movement, and apart from dressing gown or sarong around my shoulders early morning, maybe a hoodie if really necessary later in the day, and a good old snuggle into the quilt and each other at bed time. I miss that during the hot months - no, I'm not talking about the obvious. Skin touching skin = sweaty and horrible. I miss having a cuddle when I'm asleep.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted 9/10/2014 8:57:48 p.m.
I'm sure you'll regret your call early!
It seems that every year at the beginning of October it does not rain, it cools a bit, and everyone says the rainy season is over. Others, as usual, was not saying it to me.
Then, in the second half of October we have a last breath of rain, as if the rainy season says' there is no dupe "and squeezing the last bit of action on itself.
We had a rather dry rainy season this year, but even if I intend to rain to come along, and maybe it will even be lost in November. The key to a dry-rainy season is unusually wet June 1, we've had this year. But the end often seems to be a dry first half of October and a second half wet. We'll see!
So, keep those umbrellas handy ...
A prescient post. The capricious nature and the current weather in your favor. clap2.gif
And for the medium-term evolution of the Dow Jones what is your opinion? biggrin.png
Edited by Hisseho

Obviously Chiang Mai is suffering from a drought of worthwhile news! There was no evidence of the cool dry season on the Sukhumvit Road in Bang Saray (20km south of Pattaya) this afternoon because of the flooding. There is a downpour every day at the moment.

• Like 1

A good observation Winnie and a post that will no doubt bring out the "I'm more acclimatized to Thailand than you are" brigade.

Tales of long johns. duck filled down coats, electric heaters and 20 tog duvets to follow. biggrin.png

Sorry, for those who are unfamiliar with a 'Tog'

http://southdownduvets.com/what-is-tog

As in ... "raining Kats and Togs" ? rolleyes.gif

I used to have dyslexia, but now I can't even spell itt, let alone read it ! facepalm.gif

Sorry, it's a slow afternoon in MaeJo, waiting for the tourist-hordes to release their Kom-Lois & bugger-off again ! Wonder what the odds are, on another fierce storm, this year ?

• Like 1

Sorry, not according to 10-day forecast...30-80% chance of rain everyday.

personally I don't feel the change of season yet, still too much humidity in the air.

But you are right Winnie, the change is quick and concise.