Assistant teachers, trainers, lecturers

peterkeip

I think you're just irritated through so many threads you'd started and you might consider following:

Many foreigners who didn't get another provisional teacher's license found a way ( with the help of the school) to bypass the Teacher's Council of Thailand. Their contracts are changed in a way that they're still doing what they always did, which is teaching full time at a government school.

With bypassing the TCT I mean that they do not need a teacher's license which isn't really legal, but pretty much common these days.

There is a shortage of qualified and experienced teachers, so some schools " help" out in form of changing the contract in a way that your responsibilities in the contract are different to those when being a full time teacher. But finally you're teaching full time and not somebody's assistant.

So the title teacher's assistant, trainer, or curriculum consultant, whatever fancy name you can think of, is just made up for people who don't have the right credentials to apply for a teacher's license.license. Employees of labor departments, who issue work permits are aware of this.

Rules in this country differ from province to province. What's pretty easy in Sisaket to "become" a trainer at a school, could be impossible in other provinces.And i'm pretty sure that some schools even pay some money "under the table" to the DOL, to get foreigners on their boat.

A Lecturer is usually somebody working at a university and ( usually,not always) a Master's, or PhD is needed to get such a position. Let's put is this way. they wouldn't hire you as a lecturer, teaching English to university students, as a non native English speaker.

I could have started as a lecturer at a well -known university in Bangkok, working for the language department, "lecturing" the German language, but finally decided that big city life isn't really what I want.

To get to the point. As far as I remember are you married to a woman from Sisaket area and you wanted to work in this province, right?

By now, you must have figured that out, that there's no such thing like a secure job, where you can teach until you get your pension from Germany, which would be more than 15 years.

If i were you, I'd spend less time in front of a monitor to write posts which you did with this one. Create a very good resume, take a sleeper train to Sisaket, where your family lives. ( That's what you'd written before)

Print out a few sets of your resume, look for some character references, dress well and visit some schools. One problem might be the midterm break, as many people are on a vacation, not too many people are at school now.

I know of at least three people here who have the title "trainer', as they neither have a degree, nor real teaching experience. But they're hired at a good school and they also have a pretty good salary.

Nothing will change if you're always creating new threads, the question is always the same. You're looking for a full time teaching position, right?

If you'd follow my advice and you wouldn't be successful, you could drive to Ubon Ratchathani, which is the neighboring province with even more schools than Sisaket has and try your luck there.

As other members have already suggested, there're so called lifetime experience degrees for about 15 K. I do not want to give advice to do something illegal, but such a degree is not like a Khao San road degree.

Then the university from the Philippines with an office in Bangkok, where you could make a BA in education for a reasonable amount of money.

If you continue to ask questions on a forum like this one, without actually doing something, you'll never find a job. Sending resumes to schools that are seeking a native English speaking teacher will not be successful and most, if not all, won't even reply when you send them your resume.

I think you know where I'm coming from, as you couldn't become a teacher back in your country of origin, when you'd just finished high school.

You wrote that you're teaching on Phuket, so there must be a way that you can make it to Sisaket to show your face in person. Many schools are seeking teachers, so your chances aren't too bad.Once in Sisaket, you could visit Frank's "Living in the Past."

He's the longest reigning foreigner, running a restaurant in Sisaket and must be living there for about 99 years already.

He's also German, knows many people, a lot of the teaching folks come to his place to get something to eat and you'd have a place to go to, instead of asking Thais at the train station where all the schools are.

I wish you best of luck finding a teaching position until you're 65.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

I think you're just irritated through so many threads you'd started and you might consider following:

Many foreigners who didn't get another provisional teacher's license found a way ( with the help of the school) to bypass the Teacher's Council of Thailand. Their contracts are changed in a way that they're still doing what they always did, which is teaching full time at a government school.

With bypassing the TCT I mean that they do not need a teacher's license which isn't really legal, but pretty much common these days.

There is a shortage of qualified and experienced teachers, so some schools " help" out in form of changing the contract in a way that your responsibilities in the contract are different to those when being a full time teacher. But finally you're teaching full time and not somebody's assistant.

So the title teacher's assistant, trainer, or curriculum consultant, whatever fancy name you can think of, is just made up for people who don't have the right credentials to apply for a teacher's license.license. Employees of labor departments, who issue work permits are aware of this.

Rules in this country differ from province to province. What's pretty easy in Sisaket to "become" a trainer at a school, could be impossible in other provinces.And i'm pretty sure that some schools even pay some money "under the table" to the DOL, to get foreigners on their boat.

A Lecturer is usually somebody working at a university and ( usually,not always) a Master's, or PhD is needed to get such a position. Let's put is this way. they wouldn't hire you as a lecturer, teaching English to university students, as a non native English speaker.

I could have started as a lecturer at a well -known university in Bangkok, working for the language department, "lecturing" the German language, but finally decided that big city life isn't really what I want.

To get to the point. As far as I remember are you married to a woman from Sisaket area and you wanted to work in this province, right?

By now, you must have figured that out, that there's no such thing like a secure job, where you can teach until you get your pension from Germany, which would be more than 15 years.

If i were you, I'd spend less time in front of a monitor to write posts which you did with this one. Create a very good resume, take a sleeper train to Sisaket, where your family lives. ( That's what you'd written before)

Print out a few sets of your resume, look for some character references, dress well and visit some schools. One problem might be the midterm break, as many people are on a vacation, not too many people are at school now.

I know of at least three people here who have the title "trainer', as they neither have a degree, nor real teaching experience. But they're hired at a good school and they also have a pretty good salary.

Nothing will change if you're always creating new threads, the question is always the same. You're looking for a full time teaching position, right?

If you'd follow my advice and you wouldn't be successful, you could drive to Ubon Ratchathani, which is the neighboring province with even more schools than Sisaket has and try your luck there.

As other members have already suggested, there're so called lifetime experience degrees for about 15 K. I do not want to give advice to do something illegal, but such a degree is not like a Khao San road degree.

Then the university from the Philippines with an office in Bangkok, where you could make a BA in education for a reasonable amount of money.

If you continue to ask questions on a forum like this one, without actually doing something, you'll never find a job. Sending resumes to schools that are seeking a native English speaking teacher will not be successful and most, if not all, won't even reply when you send them your resume.

I think you know where I'm coming from, as you couldn't become a teacher back in your country of origin, when you'd just finished high school.

You wrote that you're teaching on Phuket, so there must be a way that you can make it to Sisaket to show your face in person. Many schools are seeking teachers, so your chances aren't too bad.Once in Sisaket, you could visit Frank's "Living in the Past."

He's the longest reigning foreigner, running a restaurant in Sisaket and must be living there for about 99 years already.

He's also German, knows many people, a lot of the teaching folks come to his place to get something to eat and you'd have a place to go to, instead of asking Thais at the train station where all the schools are.

Thank you for your reply.

You might be astonished, but there are still some unanswered questions: in case of a 1-year-contract is not extended, do I have to leave the country for a renewal of my visa ?

How about this lifetime experience degree ? Could you please explain ?

In my situation studying for a degree seems impossible (3 years, approx. 4000/5000 Euros, working full-time at the same time),so, do you think TEFL+TOEIC will be accepted in the longterm ?

By the way: I told the truth: actually an ATM scam happened to me (there must have been a camera at the ATM machine) and a part of my money was stolen, but my bank refused to refund anything...No need to lie... Any information is very much appreciated ...

You might be astonished, but there are still some unanswered questions: in case of a 1-year-contract is not extended, do I have to leave the country for a renewal of my visa ?

In my situation studying for a degree seems impossible (3 years, approx. 4000/5000 Euros, working full-time at the same time),so, do you think TEFL+TOEIC will be accepted in the longterm ?

By the way: I told the truth: actually an ATM scam happened to me (there must have been a camera at the ATM machine) and a part of my money was stolen, but my bank refused to refund anything...No need to lie... Any information is very much appreciated ...

As soon as your employment ends, so does your visa and work permit, which is always only issued for the particular school you’re working at.

If you’re married, you can get a Non-O visa issued in Sawannakhet/Laos, without the 400K proof in a Thai bank.

That’s only possible in Sawannakhet, all you need is your original marriage certificate, your wife’s ID copied and signed.

Should you not be married and apply for a Non-B in Laos with the right paperwork from your school, you'll get 90 days time to solve any issues regarding the "provisional teacher's license, also called "waiver letter."

Within the 90 days you have to do all to get your provisional TL, then apply for your work permit.

The work permit only takes three days, then you can extend your visa for another nine month at the local Immigration, in the province where you're working.

You’re also allowed to teach on a Non-O visa, which might be more convenient, as it’s independent from your contract, or time of employment.

Again, a TEFL doesn't allow you to teach here. I've got one, also a TSOL, but nobody at a school was even interested in looking at it.

The TOEIC would only make sense, once you've got a degree.It's a requirement from the TCT, but it seems that they're restructuring a lot.It could be that another test will replace the TOEIC soon.

Please remember, Google is your best friend.

Please Google “lifetime experience degree” and find out what’s suitable for you.

I hope I could help you with this information. Best of luck.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

Losinisaan- I like the advice you have given the OP many times on many threads to contact a very knowledgeable German guy in the area he wants to teach.

Has he followed your advice or prefers posting similar messages on this forum?

If his questions aren't being answered then need to make clear what he wants.

If posting many times because he doesn't like the answer then maybe accept the facts and pursue alternatives.

If a business offers a M.Ed. Based on experience and TCT accepts it then it seems legal. Up to TCT to decide.

Working as a teacher but being called trainer I think is illegal but maybe becoming common practice and understood by labor board.

Some teachers are now using Ed. Visa to stay in the country legally but working illegally.

I thought marriage visa allows you to legally stay in the country but need work permit to work legally.

But many places may not care as long as you can come to work every day. Saves them paperwork.

But illegal.

Schools submitting false attendance reports to extend Ed. visa is illegal but common practice.

It sounds like the OP is working but not able to get work permit.

What method is he currently using to stay in the country?

• Like 2

Are these positions accessible for language teachers that hold a TEFL-certificate, 3-months-teacher-training at a private language school), which means no BA/Ma degree ? If yes. is this possible in the longterm ?

You have been given advice many times on many threads.

Can you please update what you have done with all the advice.

Have you tried any of the suggestions?

What were the results?

Let people know if the advice was useful or ignored.

The answers you get on all threads is always the same.

Make your question more specific if you feel you are not getting in information you need.

• Like 1

A Life Experience degree will be form a diploma mill and the TCT, MOE and other Ministries are well aware of these scams and some of the schools granting them.

Bypassing the TCT is not as easy as it was. We have attempted to get a teacher through with as a Teacher's Assistant. We have been told the person MUST have a Bachelor's Degree.

So. If you have a Bachelor's then you may be able to get around the regulations. You may be able to get around the regulations regardless of your situation, it just gets harder.

• Like 2

Peter, the impermanence of things over here is something you will know by now?

Everything is in flux: panta rhei... Everything is changing. As you are changing yourself, too.

Thanks to LostinIsaan for his helpful and practical tips. Just do it and don't worry about irrelevant stuff like being able to do this for more than the next semester.

Right now, schools are screaming out for teachers!

Give it your best shot and live in the moment. It might end in a few months or in a few years. Chances are that you won't be staying at any school fo longer than a couple of years coffee1.gif

• Like 1

As soon as your employment ends, so does your visa and work permit, which is always only issued for the particular school you’re working at.

If you’re married, you can get a Non-O visa issued in Sawannakhet/Laos, without the 400K proof in a Thai bank.

That’s only possible in Sawannakhet, all you need is your original marriage certificate, your wife’s ID copied and signed.

Should you not be married and apply for a Non-B in Laos with the right paperwork from your school, you'll get 90 days time to solve any issues regarding the "provisional teacher's license, also called "waiver letter."

Within the 90 days you have to do all to get your provisional TL, then apply for your work permit.

The work permit only takes three days, then you can extend your visa for another nine month at the local Immigration, in the province where you're working.

You’re also allowed to teach on a Non-O visa, which might be more convenient, as it’s independent from your contract, or time of employment.

Again, a TEFL doesn't allow you to teach here. I've got one, also a TSOL, but nobody at a school was even interested in looking at it.

The TOEIC would only make sense, once you've got a degree.It's a requirement from the TCT, but it seems that they're restructuring a lot.It could be that another test will replace the TOEIC soon.

Please remember, Google is your best friend.

Please Google “lifetime experience degree” and find out what’s suitable for you.

I hope I could help you with this information. Best of luck.

Just to be sure: in case of one´s contract ends (and also work permit and non-B-visa) the teacher has to apply for a new one and has to leave the country (visa run to Savannakhet) or can it be done at the Immigration Office in Sisaket in case of having a new job (contract) ? Thank you ...

You don't have to apply for a new visa abroad, if you have a contract that starts when your old contract ends. You can then cancel everything and apply for a new WP and extension of stay.

Not sure if a few day between will be problematic, but longer than a week will certainly be.

New immigration rules for teaching support staff do not necessarily require a bachelor degree. immigration will also accept relevant working experience.

But immigration is no fool and does realize that it is a way to circumvent the rules for teachers. So they can be very strict.

• Like 1

New immigration rules for teaching support staff do not necessarily require a bachelor degree. immigration will also accept relevant working experience.

But immigration is no fool and does realize that it is a way to circumvent the rules for teachers. So they can be very strict.

Which could cause huge problems,as happened not so long ago. Even if the DOL has issued a work permit, the Immigration can deny a visa.

Not just the TCT seem to get their senses together, also most immigration offices have to follow THE rules coming from the capital.

I've heard ( hope it's just hearsay) that some Imm offices took some cash from school superiors to receive the needed stamp.

Please be aware that I would never accuse Immigration that they're doing something illegal.

• Like 1

Peter, in general the visa/WP situation can be a bit rough if you don't have a wife or a bachelor degree.

For the teachers I know who don't have degrees, and some of the ones with degrees, there is no end to the problems they are constantly facing. It seems like a constant battle just to legally live in Thailand. As my friends without bachelor degrees are having to do visa runs, knowing that next time they leave Thailand, they might not be able to return. Others, with bachelor degrees, have used up their 2x krusapa waivers already, and so are in a similar situation to the non degree holders (Although don't have as many used tourist visas in their passports, so have a bit more time up their sleeves).

In general, if you don't have a bachelor degree, then you can't get a B visa. Instead of trying to look for loopholes which allow you to avoid getting a B (extension based on employment), try to look at it from another angle. Instead, aim to get a legitimate visa, which is possible via various different ways, but in general, the common denominator which makes it difficult for people, is money. The best place to earn/save money, is in your home country, so just bide your time there, save up a bit more money, and then move to Thailand.

If you already have money from your home country (e.g. you have money in savings or maybe a house/car which you can sell), then you're probably eligible for another type of visa, and should instead aim for that path, rather than worrying about how to extend your visa without having a degree.

Extensions based on:

Marriage - Proof you have 400,000 THB + Thai wife (or 40,000 THB per month passive income)

Retirement - Proof you have 800,000 THB + 50+ years old (or 65,000 THB per month passive income)

Investment - 10,000,000 THB investment

Elite - 500,000 THB to buy a 5 year visa.

Marriage or retirement are the cheapest options, but obviously require that you are 50+ or have a Thai wife, which isn't necessarily difficult.

• Like 2

Peter, in general the visa/WP situation can be a bit rough if you don't have a wife or a bachelor degree.

For the teachers I know who don't have degrees, and some of the ones with degrees, there is no end to the problems they are constantly facing. It seems like a constant battle just to legally live in Thailand. As my friends without bachelor degrees are having to do visa runs, knowing that next time they leave Thailand, they might not be able to return. Others, with bachelor degrees, have used up their 2x krusapa waivers already, and so are in a similar situation to the non degree holders (Although don't have as many used tourist visas in their passports, so have a bit more time up their sleeves).

In general, if you don't have a bachelor degree, then you can't get a B visa. Instead of trying to look for loopholes which allow you to avoid getting a B (extension based on employment), try to look at it from another angle. Instead, aim to get a legitimate visa, which is possible via various different ways, but in general, the common denominator which makes it difficult for people, is money. The best place to earn/save money, is in your home country, so just bide your time there, save up a bit more money, and then move to Thailand.

If you already have money from your home country (e.g. you have money in savings or maybe a house/car which you can sell), then you're probably eligible for another type of visa, and should instead aim for that path, rather than worrying about how to extend your visa without having a degree.

Extensions based on:

Marriage - Proof you have 400,000 THB + Thai wife (or 40,000 THB per month passive income)

Retirement - Proof you have 800,000 THB + 50+ years old (or 65,000 THB per month passive income)

Investment - 10,000,000 THB investment

Elite - 500,000 THB to buy a 5 year visa.

Marriage or retirement are the cheapest options, but obviously require that you are 50+ or have a Thai wife, which isn't necessarily difficult.

Peter, in general the visa/WP situation can be a bit rough if you don't have a wife or a bachelor degree. ( Gotta love your post)-biggrin.png

Not really sure about the last sentence, Mr. Sly. It can even be much more rough, when you have both.

She's always trying to have the last word, and I would give my degree away, if she'd just stop doing that..

And i would have a very good reason to go to Frank's every day to enjoy a cold beer without fear and not getting hit by my wife, doing so.coffee1.gif

Then I could make threads how to get a job without a degree and write down all my experiences. -facepalm.gif

Haha I didn't mean that married life is easy, only that it's easy to get married :-p

I wouldn't smile, if I were you.biggrin.png . You'll find out early enough what "old marriage syndrome" really means.....giggle.gif

Sorry, for going off topic. just read the same interesting questions coming from the OP on two other websites, where the OP had posted.

Makes perfect sense that he can't land a job, as he seems to be too busy typing.

But it's a good excuse for not traveling to Sisaket, because the electricity bill was too high, or the thread inventor.

Or blaming the internet shops on Phuket for charging too much money from innocent foreigners.

Dear OP,

Why did you not answer any of the questions, people were asking you to be able to continue giving you the best possible advice? facepalm.gif

post-158336-0-13361900-1413634167_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Peter, the impermanence of things over here is something you will know by now?

Everything is in flux: panta rhei... Everything is changing. As you are changing yourself, too.

Thanks to LostinIsaan for his helpful and practical tips. Just do it and don't worry about irrelevant stuff like being able to do this for more than the next semester.

Right now, schools are screaming out for teachers!

Give it your best shot and live in the moment. It might end in a few months or in a few years. OH NO THIS WOULD BE WORSE Chances are that you won't be staying at any school fo longer than a couple of years coffee1.gif

Hi WonnabeBiker, thanks for your comment, but I really have to consider about the future, that means for the next 15 years. Now I am 49 and I have to find continously a Job (interruptions would be worse, because I really need a regular and permanent income (and social security, provided from school as well) for these next 15 years, until the age of 65, then I am expecting an old-age-pension from my home country. Teaching just for a couple of years would be financially disastrous. That why I am striving for teaching as long as possible: Do you know about contacts of employment ? Many times they end up after a year and the teacher has to search for a new job at another School. Does it mean that I have to do a visa run as well ? Thank you ...

I am not sure about credential teachers in international schools but as far as I know foreign teachers are usually on year long contracts - even teachers with degrees and license.

We are guest in their country. We need to respect that we don't have rights.

You are expecting Thailand to treat you better than your own country.

I think you said you aren't living with your wife. Right? How long?

Have you followed any of the suggestions you have received?

• Like 1

If a school can find a 25 year old with same or better qualifications, who do you think they will hire.

You need to be better qualified than a younger person to get the job.

Di you feel you are better qualified than most people applying for the jobs you want?

If you were running the business, would you hire someone with your qualifications for the types of jobs you are applying? (I assume you have been applying for new jobs - correct? )

• Like 1

Yes. Still waiting to get response If he has acted on any of the advice posted in many threads.

Which advice was followed?

What was the result?

Is the advice in all the threads the same?

Hi,

Just saw a post on another forum where OP's seeking advice how to get to Sawannakhet from Sisaket, to get his tourist visa converted into a Non-B visa, which was already posted on the 12th October 2014, 00:18

It seems that our advice was successful, but the guy doesn't seem to have balls.Thank you very much for letting us help you, Peter.

Edited by lostinisaan

If a school can find a 25 year old with same or better qualifications, who do you think they will hire.

Di you feel you are better qualified than most people applying for the jobs you want?

If you were running the business, would you hire someone with your qualifications for the types of jobs you are applying? (I assume you have been applying for new jobs - correct? )

Of course I already contacted several schools and I am sure I can find a job somewhere in Isan, because of teacher´s shortage, but the school´s principal should tell me whether he can arrange a proper/legal contract, visa and work permit etc. for a non-native speaker without a degree or not. That -in my opinion- would be fair.

Am I right ?

You cannot get a legal contract at a regular elementary or secondary school as for that you need a waiver of the teaching license, which you only get with a degree.

You can get a job at a language school or university for example, as they fall under different rules.

Of course I already contacted several schools and I am sure I can find a job somewhere in Isan, because of teacher´s shortage, but the school´s principal should tell me whether he can arrange a proper/legal contract, visa and work permit etc. for a non-native speaker without a degree or not. That -in my opinion- would be fair.

Am I right ?

It's really get boring. Q > A > Q > A > Q > A .................................. As if Thaivisa's search button is defunct or............... peterkeip is an attention wh****

• Like 1

Am I right ?

It is fair that the school should tell you if they can get you a work permit.

Have you asked any schools on Issan?

What did they tell you?

The rules are clear for work permits teaching students primary and high school.

No degree - no work permit.

Only by talking with local school and contacts given to you by lostinisaan can you find if the will break the rule.

People here can only tell you policy. policy is you can't get a work permit at regular schools - but possible at language schools.

You need to directly contact schools in the area of interest and ask if the rules are followed in Issan.

You are older and without a degree. Do you expect life to be easy?

Please keep it civil. If you do not wish to respond, you do not have to. If you wish to respond with an off-topic or inflammatory post, you will get a warning.

Apologise. Won't happen again.

I'm with you. i apologize as well that I tried to help you, OP. facepalm.gif