My Encounter with the Parking Police Today (by Tuk.com)

oneday

I now have a new black honda pcx and it has many scratches on it even on visor. I was told by a thai that people will delibitary scratch it with their bike when pushing back from being parked next to mine because... It has red number plate and some folk get jelouse. Be happy when white plate arrives

oneday

Something similar happened to my wife a couple of years ago. I rarely go down there but, when I do, whether it's on bike or car I go to the waste ground car park just up soi bukhow (?) and turn right.

20 baht, but peace of mind. All this stuff about better relations with tourists etc. given out from the high alter in Bangkok, is just a load of nonsense.

It's just such a hassle trying to find parking for a motorbike next to the sides of the Tuk.Com building I've taken to just parking across the street, but I completely forgot about these alternate day parking rules. I won't forget to look at the signs again...that's for sure.

"If this had just been a pay ticket, get bike unlocked, go home story I wouldn't have even posted it."

As usual, if the police enforce the law the self-righteous farang gets in a tizzy and if they fail to enforce the law the self-righteous farang get in a major tizzy about them not helping to keep traffic moving on Pattaya Tai.

If they collected the fine on the spot, all the non-original thinkers would be blathering on and on about tea money.

Every day, especially on market days, they have to ticket and lock loads of bikes and cars. Do you really expect them to run a boutique notification & home delivery service for everyone they ticket?

In the US where I come from if you park in a clearly marked tow-away zone, a 300 pound gorilla in a tow truck, packing a gun and a baseball bat will remove your car. He won't be a policeman, but someone contracted by the city and if you want to get too heated about it you'll understand what the baseball bat is for, They don't leave a note telling you your car was towed, although in a few weeks if it hasn't dawned on you, you'll probably get something in the mail telling you to come get it.

Ah, congratulate yourself on being the FIRST self-righteous person to show up on this thread.

oneday

Something similar happened to my wife a couple of years ago. I rarely go down there but, when I do, whether it's on bike or car I go to the waste ground car park just up soi bukhow (?) and turn right.

20 baht, but peace of mind. All this stuff about better relations with tourists etc. given out from the high alter in Bangkok, is just a load of nonsense.

Me too, or on market day Tuesdays and Fridays park next to the market, again only 20 baht and a short walk to Tuk Com. By the way what a complete nightmare of a place to park sometimes you have to ride around and around the place until someone pulls out of their space, hopefuly the new Pat Klang, Tuk Com should be much easier to park outside.

Well, stupid me. The Soi Buakhao market days are firmly embedded in my mind so there should be no excuse for me not knowing these days in the future. But don't they also have no parking on the south side on selected days?

You are so right about finding normal parking by the building...a nightmare. Many people park at Friendship Market and that makes a mess there. I'm surprised Friendship Market doesn't introduce some system to prevent people from parking there on bikes unless they are shopping there.

You're just going to have to give the police a break because there's nothing else you can do. What they did to you is nothing compared to other things they get up to - unfortunately it's something you're just going to have to get used to. What happened to you is no surprise at all to anyone who has had dealings with the police here.

I always pay meticulous attention to where I park my bike as I know it's easy to lose it if you park it in the wrong place.

Nope, sorry, no break from me. They were mean and nasty about the whole thing. I don't mind paying the fine...it was my bad, but the way they handled the whole thing really rattled me when I came back and my bike was gone.

Can worse things happen...absolutely...like an asteroid or my favorite, a super nova...yeah that will do, then all our problems will be solved.

I think Rule #1 is that if you find any street in Pattaya where parking is plentiful, look around and you will easily find the reason why. If I am not forced to crowd my bike into a small spot, I know something is up. And yes, they are busy towing bikes and cars every day on Pattaya Tai. This has been going on for 6 months, but if you don't go there often, you may have missed it. Number two, I have seen hundreds of people receive tickets, and I have never seen them take the plate. They always keep the bike until you come back from paying your fine at the police station with a receipt. Do you remember where you saw them take the plates instead? It would be interesting to know.

On another note, I wish they would just close Second Road for two days, tow any vehicles that are still there, and get that road paved quickly and correctly. Sorry I changed the subject.

Nope, didn't take the plate, just took the whole bike. Usually when you are stopped on the street for a moving violation they take your driver's license. You then pay the fine and come back for your license. I was hoping they would take my driver's license, unlock the bike and let me use my own bike to drive to the police station to pay the fine. I'm assuming now that they do not do that because they can leave at any time and do not want to be stuck at their location waiting for a person to return to get his/her license.

Edited by oneday

"If this had just been a pay ticket, get bike unlocked, go home story I wouldn't have even posted it."

As usual, if the police enforce the law the self-righteous farang gets in a tizzy and if they fail to enforce the law the self-righteous farang get in a major tizzy about them not helping to keep traffic moving on Pattaya Tai.

If they collected the fine on the spot, all the non-original thinkers would be blathering on and on about tea money.

Every day, especially on market days, they have to ticket and lock loads of bikes and cars. Do you really expect them to run a boutique notification & home delivery service for everyone they ticket?

In the US where I come from if you park in a clearly marked tow-away zone, a 300 pound gorilla in a tow truck, packing a gun and a baseball bat will remove your car. He won't be a policeman, but someone contracted by the city and if you want to get too heated about it you'll understand what the baseball bat is for, They don't leave a note telling you your car was towed, although in a few weeks if it hasn't dawned on you, you'll probably get something in the mail telling you to come get it.

Ah, congratulate yourself on being the FIRST self-righteous person to show up on this thread.

In the USA the police would probably just shoot you dead.....

I guess the point of the story is to hear how others would feel about that happening to them and it's a warning to others living in Pattaya who might have other things on their mind when heading down to that area and thinking about parking on Pattaya Tai. If this had just been a pay ticket, get bike unlocked, go home story I wouldn't have even posted it.

I'm not willing to give these police a break. They must have some better method of notifying people that their bike was taken by the police to an impound lot and not stolen. You don't think that at least briefly I thought my bike had been stolen. They had every opportunity to mention it to the two Thai people who were talking to them for me. They certainly knew they were going to be putting the bikes on a truck VERY soon.

Nope, sorry, no break from me. They were mean and nasty about the whole thing. I don't mind paying the fine...it was my bad, but the way they handled the whole thing really rattled me when I came back and my bike was gone.

Can worse things happen...absolutely...like an asteroid or my favorite, a super nova...yeah that will do, then all our problems will be solved.

You lost out.

Get over it.

OK, so what are you going to do about it?.. other than complaining about it here, that is?

I guess the point of the story is to hear how others would feel about that happening to them and it's a warning to others living in Pattaya who might have other things on their mind when heading down to that area and thinking about parking on Pattaya Tai. If this had just been a pay ticket, get bike unlocked, go home story I wouldn't have even posted it.

I'm not willing to give these police a break. They must have some better method of notifying people that their bike was taken by the police to an impound lot and not stolen. You don't think that at least briefly I thought my bike had been stolen. They had every opportunity to mention it to the two Thai people who were talking to them for me. They certainly knew they were going to be putting the bikes on a truck VERY soon.

Yeah - well in Palau where I come from if you park more than 2 centimeters over the line a small band of whirling dervishes armed with nunchaku and 5 point poison tipped shuriken will not only tow your vehicle, but place a hex on your family for 3 generations.
They do however leave a very polite and cordial note, along with crumpets to give you energy for your walk to find alternate transportation.
I think the US parking ticket forum is somewhere else on the interwebs where there is much bravado and little useful information.
========
oneday: Thanks for the heads up. I've been bailed out by motorcycle taxi drivers a few times in Bangkok (guided me to a great deal on an apartment, an excellent, quick and cheap place for laundry, etc. etc. - can't praise some of these fellas enough).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I didn't hear that the place where they put all removed bikes and cars has changed/move ?

Here is the place off Soi Kho Phai on Google Map

You can see cars & bikes on the map wink.png

PS: I am very happy with the job the Police makes on South Road.

They are very persistent about it.

Not just another rule/action who is forgotten after a few weeks wink.png

Good work! A picture is worth a 1000 words.

That's a convenient location for any vehicles impounded from Tuk Com.

Here's some street views:

attachicon.gifImpound.jpg

attachicon.gifimpound2.jpg

Wrong information....This location is no longer a vehicle impound. Please strike all reference to it.

I'm not sure where the OP actually parked his bike, but the lock may have nothing to do with the odd-or-even parking days.

I think it's more a matter of side-walk marking.........yellow-white or red-white.

Sometimes you have to look twice to find out which color it is....if any.

The trick with the impounded bike is just a way of creating an income for the impound-people as well as the motorbike taxi people.

BTW.......parking a motorbike at or near TukCom is a real disaster...........around 10 a.m. (TukCom's opening-time) almost all parking-spots are occupied by TukCom-employees or at least who are working in TukCom. Let's hope that TukCom II has more parking-possibilities.

Last (and only) time I got a ticket, I just handed it to one of the scooter guys that hangs out in front of my apartment.

He knew exactly where to go, and what to do. Half an hour later, he showed up poolside where I was waiting for him, with my DL and a receipt.

Cost me a few baht, but beat the heck out of doing it myself. And hanging out at the pool was much nicer than traipsing all over town and waiting in lines.

Your mileage may vary...

I have not seen the Farang wannabee traffic police recently around Tukcom, have the army put them out to pasture?

. Not seen any farang police wannabe lackey near tukom theres 1 outside soi 9 police station about 6"2 maybe more dressed in the brown uniform even got the shades on sad man. Stopped me asked for license just another unpaid tax collector lackey dog for the infamous pattaya boys in brown Edited by Soiyamoto

I have not seen the Farang wannabee traffic police recently around Tukcom, have the army put them out to pasture?

. Not seen any farang police wannabe lackey near tukom theres 1 outside soi 9 police station about 6"2 maybe more dressed in the brown uniform even got the shades on sad man. Stopped me asked for license just another unpaid tax collector lackey dog for the infamous pattaya boys in brown

There used to be 3 of them on market days regularly, there are some pictures kicking around

Whenever I travel down Pattaya Tai and see motorcycles chained and/or cars clamped I always give the cops a thumbs up and a "well done chaps". 30 years and I've never been done for illegal parking but am always having my journey interfered with by someone who has. Double parking being the worst offenders.

IMPOUND YARD SOI No Pai from 7/11 intersection go 400m on left to SOI 10, turn left up an unmarked small soi. A second one near SOI 50 Suk-cum-vick was told ??

Sent from my LG-P880 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks. Now I need directions to Soi No Pai and Soi 50. Map?

• 1 year later...

Hi.

I didn't hear that the place where they put all removed bikes and cars has changed/move ?

Here is the place off Soi Kho Phai on Google Map

You can see cars & bikes on the map wink.png

PS: I am very happy with the job the Police makes on South Road.

They are very persistent about it.

Not just another rule/action who is forgotten after a few weeks wink.png

Good work! A picture is worth a 1000 words.

That's a convenient location for any vehicles impounded from Tuk Com.

Here's some street views:

attachicon.gifImpound.jpg

attachicon.gifimpound2.jpg

Attached photo from 22/12/2015, I can confirm this place is abandoned, however the compound mentioned in post below is fully working and charging 100bt per day parking fee.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788547-where-is-police-compound-for-seized-motorbikes/page-2#entry10222118

post-192991-0-86783700-1450786819_thumb.

Edited by JonCalvi