Can I Connect My Dell Notebook to An Old TV, Via VGA, or USB Cable?

lostinisaan

Hello and Swasdee khrap,

I'm financially not in the mood to buy the right flat screen TV with a USB to watch my downloaded movies with my family.

I do not have HDMI, as my notebook is a couple of years old. The TV should be in a museum, but works fine. All I've got is the yellow, red and white connectors.

What would be the best solution, including having a good picture on my TV that's coming from my notebook?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance to all experts and expats and those wannabees.

Regards from Sisaket,

You old TV will struggle with the high resolution films that you download. The only solution that I can think of are those DVD players that also allow you to plug a USB drive in. Then you connect the DVD player to the TV via RCA/Phono leads or via SCART..

In addition, it will be limited in the kinds of files it will play. Usually MPEG-4, Xvid, DivX. Don't just buy the cheapest that you can find.

Example here also plays .wmv

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

You old TV will struggle with the high resolution films that you download. The only solution that I can think of are those DVD players that also allow you to plug a USB drive in. Then you connect the DVD player to the TV via RCA/Phono leads or via SCART..

In addition, it will be limited in the kinds of files it will play. Usually MPEG-4, Xvid, DivX. Don't just buy the cheapest that you can find.

Example here also plays .wmv

How will it struggle?

The computer does all the down converting..

You mean his old TV with poor resolution wont have a nice display even when using HDTV copies

Your TV must be CRT as even my oldest flat screen tv had hdmi even if they were 4:3 or you have a really old plasma tv.

The best option is to buy an android tv box that has the connection features for your TV.

You will want this connection for your box and your all set to go. Later when you decide to upgrade you can swap over to the HDMI port thumbsup.gif

I think AJ has a dual core model for B1,900 at lotus, i would look online. I recommend nothing less the Quad Core mtk6582

good-av-cable-for-measy-u2c-neo-x5-trons

You might be able to watch your movies on your TV however the picture quality will be less than your TV so you're not getting any benefit, just a bigger shittier picture. Your laptop has better resolution than your TV. If you still want to proceed you will need an SVGA to RCA adapter setup. That is if your laptop has the video output. Bottom line is you need to upgrade both.

OK is not the point or answering the question, but shopping at Big C yesterday noticed they had the New LED Digital HD - LG TV with USB and HDMi for 4,990 baht, other makes even cheaper...

Just noticed because a 55" TOSHIBA [same model as this] court my eye @ 27,xxx baht..

Guess is how big is your old thing ?

Edited by ignis