Electrics for the new house, Lighting etc

Litlos

I am having a new house built in the Na Jomtien area and currently living in lower Sukhumvit and have a few general questions on the electrics someone may be able to throw some light on.

I am trying to find out some good websites/suppliers for LED lighting so I can do some research and planning. I was looking at the Eco-ledthai.com website and finding some good info, unfortunately their links to the catalogues are no longer working. I have sent them an email, but based on previous emails to Thai companies are not hopeful for a rapid response. Anyone know of any other local companies preferably with a usable website or in either BKK or Pattaya areas? I am particularly looking for LED downlights (possibly dimmable) and LED outside floodlights equivalent to say 250/500w halogen. The floodlights are externally mounted under the eaves, so weatherproof required.

The other item is the builder is offering a Bticino switchboard (3 phase standard) . This is not a brand I am familiar with and cannot seem to find much information, anyone with any experience with this brand? I wish to install some individual RCBO's and Bticino only seem to offer these as a double width assembly. The other option is I change the specification to Square D/Schneider, I am familiar with this brand and they offer the RCBO's as single width with a flying lead for the neutral. I am leaning a bit to the Square D as not a great fan of Italian electrics as they used to fail regularly in Western Australia, but the 220v design and the 250v supply maybe had something to do with that?

Anyway if you have any ideas to assist with these items would be appreciated.

Cheers

Both BTicino and Square-D (Schneider) boards only accept their own brand devices.

I would go with ABB for your distribution board, DIN mount so you can configure as you wish, parts from different manufacturers fit.

If you are having 3-phase it may be an option to use three single-phase boards to make the installation more manageable (have a single 3-phase incoming breaker as a single point of isolation).

EDIT Roughly how many breakers in total do you expect to have?

Both BTicino and Square-D (Schneider) boards only accept their own brand devices.

I would go with ABB for your distribution board, DIN mount so you can configure as you wish, parts from different manufacturers fit.

If you are having 3-phase it may be an option to use three single-phase boards to make the installation more manageable (have a single 3-phase incoming breaker as a single point of isolation).

EDIT Roughly how many breakers in total do you expect to have?

Thanks for the info Crossy. I am expecting to use a 24 slot board, and probably use about 16 slots maximum initially. You mentioned DIN and that got me looking that maybe the board offered is DIN as Bticino is tied up with Legrand, still waiting on that one though for confirmation. If it is DIN compatible I can use the ABB single slot type breakers in the supplied board and all is easy, otherwise will definitely look into the possibility of an ABB board.

The slot calculation is based on 3 x HWS, 1 x bore pump, 1 x gate, 6 x power circuits, 3 x lighting circuits interior and 2 x lighting circuits exterior.

I was trying to explain to someone about the LED downlights so looked up on Google Australia for some I have used recently for my daughters house. Well the usual Google trick of here are a few ads you may be interested in. One is a site in Thailand for LEDs that is pretty good though no English. Not sure why it was not coming up in my many and varied searches for LEDs in Thailand. but if anyone is interested here is the website

www.ledonhome.com

Cheers

The slot calculation is based on 3 x HWS, 1 x bore pump, 1 x gate, 6 x power circuits, 3 x lighting circuits interior and 2 x lighting circuits exterior.

Have you considered needing aircon? Even if you're not going to install it now it's easier to run the cabling during construction. We cabled for six aircons, so far three are installed, the others probably won't be now apart from maybe my workshop which can get me sweating when wood or metal bashing.

2.5mm2 on 20A breakers will be OK for all but the largest units, one breaker per aircon set.

Have you considered needing aircon? Even if you're not going to install it now it's easier to run the cabling during construction. We cabled for six aircons, so far three are installed, the others probably won't be now apart from maybe my workshop which can get me sweating when wood or metal bashing.

2.5mm2 on 20A breakers will be OK for all but the largest units, one breaker per aircon set.

Well picked sir. I have mixed up my drawings and looked at the earlier details, as opposed to the latest set. There are 5 air conditioners in the design so it will need to be more like a 30 slot board to give me a reasonable amount of spares whistling.gif

Glad I am only getting it built not doing the design.

Cheers