Bangkok Sports Bars - Best For Food & Fun.

JeffreyO

Hello all,

I'm taking a friend out for dinner tonight as part of her birthday and she wants to go to a western style sports bar. Particularly American, British or Irish. I'm hoping to hear what places you like that have good eats and preferably a few pool tables, those are really the two key factors but also to relax at as well.

I'd prefer something along the Sukhumvit BTS line. Thanks all for your advice!

I should get a commission for mentioning/recommending often ... but Sportsman on Suk soi 13 has good food (western and Thai), a bunch of pool tables and a lot of sports on a lot of TVs. You are not going to get ... 1) music and 2) eye candies (not bunch of "working" or other ladies in this place).

If you want music and/or eye candies with food and pool, you're probably better off at Gulliver's on Suk soi 5.

I should get a commission for mentioning/recommending often ... but Sportsman on Suk soi 13 has good food (western and Thai), a bunch of pool tables and a lot of sports on a lot of TVs. You are not going to get ... 1) music and 2) eye candies (not bunch of "working" or other ladies in this place).

Spot on.

Just an update. I went by The Sportsman last night and it was as described. A good variety of sports on numerous screens, a large number of pool tables and a few dart boards, a few more assorted games. The menu was fairly vast and was a bit more geared towards the British side of things but had a few American options, American style pizza and burgers mostly. Everything was good except one small problem, it was event night for pool, a tournament or something along those lines so the tables were otherwise taken but we had a good time regardless.

I've passed by Robin Hood several times. I'll definitely check it out. Thank you again all.

Just an update. I went by The Sportsman last night and it was as described. A good variety of sports on numerous screens, a large number of pool tables and a few dart boards, a few more assorted games. The menu was fairly vast and was a bit more geared towards the British side of things but had a few American options, American style pizza and burgers mostly. Everything was good except one small problem, it was event night for pool, a tournament or something along those lines so the tables were otherwise taken but we had a good time regardless.

I've passed by Robin Hood several times. I'll definitely check it out. Thank you again all.

Mondays and Wednesdays are pool league nights in many Western pubs along Sukhumvit.

The Robin Hood does not have a pool night, tho It does have a table. But on a Monday they have a quiz. The pub gets banged out and the pool table isn't in play as far as I know.

Edited by bertty

Robin Hood isn't ideal for pool anyway tbh. That upstairs area is a bit cramped.

The Dubliner also has pool tables upstairs. Only eaten some fried chicken there which was standard so can't say whether the menu is decent.

The Game at Nana BTS also has pool tables and does a good pint of Guinness.

I thought they were expanding and putting more pool tables in by now.

I will find out when I land tonight! Don't know if you tried their Thai food but it's pretty good and yes, western food is geared toward the other side of the pond (although their "meat pies" are pretty good).

I think good weekday night for pool is during their quiz night on Monday :)

Don't know if you tried their Thai food but it's pretty good

Just doesn't make any sense to go to a Western style pub and order Thai food. No doubt be about 3-5 times the price. Some of these places can barely get their pub grub right and that's what they specialize in.

" a few American options"? Burgers and Pizza's are the full range of American cuisine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for your positive comments. The Sportsman will be opening above the existing pub in next couple of weeks, most probably Saturday 8th November. The new area is almost twice the size of the existing area. The upstairs lounge area will cater more towards rugby, American football and Ice hockey. The bar area will have 8 Brunswick pro competition pool tables, 3 dartboards, Foosball, Balut and Shuffleboard. Slightly different draft beers too including Guinness, Brain's bitter and Stowford press cider. Same great choice of craft beers and food :-)

Hi All,

Thanks for your positive comments. The Sportsman will be opening above the existing pub in next couple of weeks, most probably Saturday 8th November. The new area is almost twice the size of the existing area. The upstairs lounge area will cater more towards rugby, American football and Ice hockey. The bar area will have 8 Brunswick pro competition pool tables, 3 dartboards, Foosball, Balut and Shuffleboard. Slightly different draft beers too including Guinness, Brain's bitter and Stowford press cider. Same great choice of craft beers and food :-)

Wow, nice. Looking forward to visiting the new digs!