Similan Islands reopens to the public

webfact

Similan Islands reopens to the public

PHANG NGA, 15 October 2014 (NNT) – The Similan Islands National Park is now open to the public after being closed off for six months.

National park officials said that during recent months, the islands have been battered by strong waves and heavy rains, which render the area unsafe for visitors.

The islands usually remain closed to all tourist activities from May to November for rehabilitation. The islands will now be open from October 15, 2014 to May 15, 2015.

During the high season in the Similans, when the monsoon stays away, visitors can scuba dive or snorkel to view coral reefs under the clear water.

The national park has also carried out repairs on restaurants, accommodation, and other facilities during their hiatus from the crowds.

Similan Islands has been listed as the one of the top 10 diving spots in the world and is easily distinguished by a rock that is shaped like a sailing boat.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-15 footer_n.gif

Yeah! Great!!! After 6 months of leaving the islands basically unattended for the fishery industry to roam about and poach, divers and snorkellers finally are allowed to be awed by fishless, rocky reefs in crystal clear waters. Isn't that something? coffee1.gif

Amost forgot - does anyone have an idea where the millions of past years' park entry fees went? Latest gossip was that they can't find them... Sure there will be a logical explanation for this.

Yeah! Great!!! After 6 months of leaving the islands basically unattended for the fishery industry to roam about and poach, divers and snorkellers finally are allowed to be awed by fishless, rocky reefs in crystal clear waters. Isn't that something? coffee1.gif

Amost forgot - does anyone have an idea where the millions of past years' park entry fees went? Latest gossip was that they can't find them... Sure there will be a logical explanation for this.

Have you ever been there? There is plenty of fish. When I was there last April, I was happy to see that the coral is regenerating after having lost colors for a very long time, there are a lot of patches of young colorful coral now.

Have you ever been there? There is plenty of fish. When I was there last April, I was happy to see that the coral is regenerating after having lost colors for a very long time, there are a lot of patches of young colorful coral now.

Keestha - I have done about 1.000 dives at Similan alone! I know how it looked over 20 years ago and what species of fish (and mammal) I saw there back then and how little now! I know the sizes of schools and the average leghth of fish back then and the average size of schools and fish now and I can tell you the truth is shocking. I know of divemasters and instructors who have been forced to hand over or delete their memory sticks after having photographed poaching fishermen. I have seen countless fishing boats dragging their nets around the islands even in high season, dropping anchors on reefs, and using the moorings paid by and reserved for divers... I have seen fish traps on reefs that were closed to divers to enable them to recover, I have seen sharks without fins dead on the sea floor with tears in my eyes... I have seen divemasters and instructors losing their jobs for speaking up. You are not deep enough into this subject to have enough knowledge to question my findings!

It always goes like this:

1) The divers, who actually try their utmost to protect the reefs and report poaching, are punished by rangers, immigration and police.

2) The rangers put the park fees in their own pockets - you oppose or question the whereabouts of the fees, and your shop, boat, business will face punishment in form of perhaps a ban, visits from officials who put your operation on hold, your dive guides being arrested, etc.

3) The fishing industry is basically allowed to do whatever they want to. Any official trying to rat out the bad guys or help the illegal burmese boat slaves, and the whole fishing fleet will block the harbour and NO boat is going out, making the diving and tour boat industry lose millions.

4) Corruption and superficiality wherever you look.

5) Speak up in public and lose your job, perhaps even more...

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 2