Laos trip

AllanB

I did think of continuing my thread about the Baja 250, but thought I would be a little more specific, as the enquiry is about my planned 5 day...-ish trip to Laos and I would like to hear from anyone who has been SVP.

Found a couple of interesting but contrasting Youtubes......think the first one is more up my street.

My feeling is that the best bike would be around 250cc with off-road, or perhaps all-terrain tyres and still considering (wait for it) a Lifan 200, as I would plan on going slower than these guys.

Or hire something from somewhere, are there any organisations/hire companies in or around Nong Khai?

Edited by AllanB

I have heard:

1. Cannot take bike into Laos without green book in hand of owner.

2. Can do with some official form / permission slip from owner.

You may want to look into which is true if you go the rental bike route.

I'm skeptical of the practicality of taking a hire across, but....

• Like 1

Checked quite a few bike rental shops in VTE - would not take one of their bikes across town let alone out of it.

Must leave passport - and pay full replacement price if it gets ripped off. No matter how old it is.

This ended it for me.

Checked quite a few bike rental shops in VTE - would not take one of their bikes across town let alone out of it.

Must leave passport - and pay full replacement price if it gets ripped off. No matter how old it is.

This ended it for me.

Fairly standard procedure in my experience. I've rented bikes like this numerous times in India, Myanmar and Cambodia. If you don't leave your passport what other collateral will they have? And sure having to pay full price may seem unfair but they're running businesses here - as if they want to go sourcing a good used replacement when you let the bike get stolen from outside your hotel...

Taking bikes across borders is often prohibited. There are various rental companies in Vientiane and some of them have 5-day minimum rental periods for bigger bikes. I'd say a 250cc would be great for that kind of trip - a Baja would be good, or a KLX or CRF. No experience of the Lifans myself.

There are some bigbike rental companies in bangkok. They dont take your passport but will be taking a slip from your credit card.

But, i dont know if you can leave thailand for Laos with a rental bike not on your name.

Edited by ll2

Now the rental bikes don't fill me with confidence, I hired a bike, a nearly new KLX on Kho Sumed and it was "slack", hearing from people here it seems in Laos they are going to even worse, perhaps much worse.

If I buy a Lifan, I will get it registered in my own name, so that solves one problem, but now there is perhaps another issue, I have a provisional licence, 1 year. I have heard that may be a problem.

In Europe border crossing is a doodle and totally free, apart from Serbia and I used to travel a lot, just grab a bag and go, in south east Asia it is so complicated.

There must be people out there who have been biking in Laos, jeeze the border is only 100 miles from my house, so near and yet so far.

Maybe that is why most talk about polishing their bikes, buying accessories and getting their "knee down"....instead of doing stuff. Like me, my NV400 is old and ain't no beauty, but I didn't buy it for admiration, I bought it to ride and "boldly go".

• Like 1

Let me try to get this right, you are currently on a 1 year temporary licence in Thailand? So you have been riding for less than a year in Thailand then?

Another thing - "Maybe that is why most talk about polishing their bikes, buying accessories and getting their "knee down"....instead of doing stuff. Like me, my NV400 is old and ain't no beauty, but I didn't buy it for admiration, I bought it to ride and "boldly go".. Instead of doing stuff. Don't know if you have ever lived in Bkk but for those of us that live here, just getting out of the city can be a hassle. You live 100 kms from the Laos border - you could be there from your doorstep in an hour. In Bkk, in 1 hour, you could still only be just 30 kms from your doorstep and still be in traffic jams.

If I lived only 100 kms from the Laos border, I would be making monthly incursions.

• Like 1

This ended it for me.

Fairly standard procedure in my experience.

I would be happy to agree on a value for the bike and leave cash deposit. But I ain't buying him a new bike to replace a tired worn out one.

• Like 1

Let me try to get this right, you are currently on a 1 year temporary licence in Thailand? So you have been riding for less than a year in Thailand then?

Another thing - "Maybe that is why most talk about polishing their bikes, buying accessories and getting their "knee down"....instead of doing stuff. Like me, my NV400 is old and ain't no beauty, but I didn't buy it for admiration, I bought it to ride and "boldly go".. Instead of doing stuff. Don't know if you have ever lived in Bkk but for those of us that live here, just getting out of the city can be a hassle. You live 100 kms from the Laos border - you could be there from your doorstep in an hour. In Bkk, in 1 hour, you could still only be just 30 kms from your doorstep and still be in traffic jams.

If I lived only 100 kms from the Laos border, I would be making monthly incursions.

I have been riding in Thailand for 6 1/2 years, just did my Thai test 6 months ago, here in Isaan 75% of riders don't have a licence, any time I got stopped I showed my UK car licence and they seemed happy with that. I had a couple of field bikes in the UK and never took my bike test.

I live 100 miles from Non Khai, so not an hour, more like 2 1/2, or 3-4 hours on a bike and have never taken a vehicle, I didn't say I had been around, just plan on doing so. I have been up to the mountains around Loie a couple of times and up the road, but spent a lot of time fixing my NV400 and work...and of course sitting on my backside at home, or propping up a bar.

I don't envy anyone living in Bangkok, especially if you are a keen biker, it must be a nightmare, I hope you are making a lot of money mate.

Great story, looks pretty easy and your Lifan seemed up to it, I think the key to reliability and safety for that matter, is a slow and steady speed.

Having done a few expeditions myself, this works every time, another key is to not have too many vehicles, 2, or 3 is the best number, less chance of a accident, fewer distractions and on dry dirt roads you can ride side by side and out of the dust trail.

You made it look very easy and enjoyable...so what's next for you guys?

Great story, looks pretty easy and your Lifan seemed up to it, I think the key to reliability and safety for that matter, is a slow and steady speed.

Having done a few expeditions myself, this works every time, another key is to not have too many vehicles, 2, or 3 is the best number, less chance of a accident, fewer distractions and on dry dirt roads you can ride side by side and out of the dust trail.

You made it look very easy and enjoyable...so what's next for you guys?

Actually, that wasn't me. That was Dutchbike and another guy with a Lifan. I'm working a lot these days, so only short weekend trips for me until I take a proper holiday.

• 3 weeks later...

This ended it for me.

Sorry this took me a while, but I've been busy. Did you contact RemoteAsia? James Barbush took 4 of my mates around Laos two years back and they had a super time. Bikes in good condition, and great guiding.

This ended it for me.

Sorry this took me a while, but I've been busy. Did you contact RemoteAsia? James Barbush took 4 of my mates around Laos two years back and they had a super time. Bikes in good condition, and great guiding.

That sounds like great idea, especially if the bikes are in good condition, but this is to be a two man trip, a dress rehearsal for the Indian Himalayas. But thanks for the idea anyway.