US claims 'hundreds' of Islamic State militants killed in Kobane strikes

webfact

US claims 'hundreds' of Islamic State militants killed in Kobane strikes
Phil Stewart

WASHINGTON: -- US-led air strikes have killed several hundred Islamic State fighters around the Syrian town of Kobane, the Pentagon said on Wednesday, but it cautioned that the town near Turkey's border could still fall to the Sunni militant group.

The US-led coalition has launched about 40 air strikes on the mainly Kurdish town in the past 48 hours, the largest number since strikes inside Syria began on September 22.

Rear-Admiral John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman, said bad weather in Iraq had freed up coalition firepower to attack Kobane targets. But he added the situation was fluid, with Kurdish militia still controlling the town, although with pockets held by Islamic State.

"The more they want it, the more resources they apply to it, the more targets we have to hit," Admiral Kirby said, adding: "We know we've killed several hundred of them."

Admiral Kirby said only hundreds of civilians remained in the town, which is also known as Ayn al-Arab.

US President Barack Obama on Tuesday told military leaders from more than 20 countries working with Washington to defeat Islamic State that he was deeply concerned about the extremist group's advances in Kobane and western Iraq. Still, he did not hint at any change in strategy.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-claims-hundreds-of-islamic-state-militants-killed-in-kobane-strikes-20141016-116qqx.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-10-16

The airstrikes are doing nothing but slow down these people. So what if 'hundreds' have been killed when they number by the tens or even hundreds of thousands? Continuous bombings with no clear strategy isn't going to stop them.

• Like 2

The airstrikes are doing nothing but slow down these people. So what if 'hundreds' have been killed when they number by the tens or even hundreds of thousands? Continuous bombings with no clear strategy isn't going to stop them.

This will sound a little extraordinary but I almost had hope the other day.

I was reading google news and there was an article which headlined...."Dutch motorcycle gang take up guns against ISIS."

I thought great this could be just the spur in the side that the rest of the world needs. Could you imagine Hells Angels from every nation gathering around their sergeant at arms and setting off for Syria. Great!!

Trouble is it was just 3 guys. Bummer!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The ordinance manufacturers are loving this conflict I wonder who holds shares in these companies.

Thats why war is profitable to that country, it creates jobs.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The ordinance manufacturers are loving this conflict I wonder who holds shares in these companies.

Thats why war is profitable to that country, it creates jobs.

America needs to rotate the stock of top line ordnance (remember you TVF guru's that their is no I in ordnance). Great of ISIS to present a moving target! Do you really think this cost that much? Its top quality target "practice".

even the man in the street know you will never defeat the opposing forces, without bodies on the ground, you just have to look at the carpet bombing in vietnam, it didnt make one scrap of difference, lessons still not learned.

I believe this story was just a positive blip put out there by the Obama administration reeling from negative ratings going into the coming elections. Yes, I believe they likely whacked a bunch of them but no, I do not believe it is significant. I think, in this particular instance, another dynamic is playing out and is suggested by the picture (in the link) of Turkish kurds just kilometers away watching the unfolding disaster.

I suspect the US would prefer a more robust attack on IS around Kobani but are being teased slowly by Turkey; I suspect Turkey will grant more support to the US but first wants to see Syrian kurds watered down by IS attacks. Turkey does not want turkish kurds rekindling uncontrolled separatist dissent- in turkey! Turkey wants this syrian cousin of PKK destroyed. It does not mind IS on its borders for two reasons:

1) IS slowly legitimizes the concept of a modern caliphate, which turkey keenly wants to lead and

2) Turkey knows IS will be more or less destroyed, in its current configuration.

What will rise from this conflict will surely be caliphate-like, but IS al baghdaddi will not likely be leading the first accepted caliphate.

Note: The whole thing sucks. I have known and worked with the Kurds and for the most part they are light years more disciplined, reliable, and honest then those they oppose. In my case, I never met a Kurd I did not like. Few realize many of them are descendants of Alexander's army when they ploughed through this area long ago.

• Like 1

Kobane has become an airstrike kill zone with which to attack ISIS massed heavy weapons and support elements. The city itself has no strategic value other than giving ISIS a psychological feel-good win.

It would favor Iraq to have ISIS bunched up in the city and seek cover than having it charge eastward towards Baghdad. Mobility in the style of German blitzkreg has been ISIS' strength to throw Iraqi opposition off guard. But by taking a static position in Kobane, ISIS loses momentum and its supply lines also become static and exposed. It also allows oposition to advance and flank its position, thus causing it to invest in more strength to hold the city. ISIS essentially is trading military position with the Iraqi forces.

Ah Ha ... Got some old Vietnam army generals doing a body count. Amazing how they can claim hundreds killed in occupied territory where there is no US military on the ground. Am I cynical? You bet.

Yes, I do bet you're cynical. I guess you yourself are Viet Nam era as well as those generals. The difference between you and the generals being that they are familiar with drones and satellites that will tell them much about all sorts of terrain, without actually needing boots on the ground.

Things have changed.

What this conflict needs is boots on the ground, 1,000 Americans, British, Australian or other crack troops. Or better yet a combination, ...with a few hundred planes in the pattern. ISIS is a bunch of undisciplined thugs that would collapse under the assault. Against a real battalion or brigade it would be a massacre of ISIS.

What this conflict needs is boots on the ground, 1,000 Americans, British, Australian or other crack troops. Or better yet a combination, ...with a few hundred planes in the pattern. ISIS is a bunch of undisciplined thugs that would collapse under the assault. Against a real battalion or brigade it would be a massacre of ISIS.

Right now not going to happen in Syria as none of the Western governments you mention will commit ground forces.

Oz government has yet to conclude a Status of Forces agreement with the Iraqi government, so the 200 SF are still in UAE awaiting go ahead, for the moment will not use airpower in Syria.

A number of Western military commanders have said IS tactics are fluid and change to meet the challenges they face. It is commented IS are capable & committed fighters & will require sustained effort in the coming months / years to defeat them militarily if adhering to the doctrine to minimise 'collateral damage'.

Edited by simple1

Estimates are 20,000 to 31,000. Not hundreds for sure. And they are not just killing ISIS troops, but taking out tanks and other equipment not so easy to replace IMO.

This war isn't going to end over night, or this decade. And unfortunately, it's an election cycle so getting any politicians to talk about ground troops won't happen for now.

They have a strategy I'm sure, we have people that do that for a living, but don't think that they will share it with anyone, especially the media, not needing to know, that would just be stupid.

For instance, they stated they were not going to mess with this unimportant town, then BOOM, dropped a load of kick ass on those freaks.

Ah Ha ... Got some old Vietnam army generals doing a body count. Amazing how they can claim hundreds killed in occupied territory where there is no US military on the ground. Am I cynical? You bet.

Yes, I do bet you're cynical. I guess you yourself are Viet Nam era as well as those generals. The difference between you and the generals being that they are familiar with drones and satellites that will tell them much about all sorts of terrain, without actually needing boots on the ground.

Things have changed.

Right, the terrain itself makes for easier attack options. Much harder to hide and maneuver in the desert. BIG advantage when you have the high tech weapons we do today.

I am sure we have eyes on the ground marking target. Strat Recon is made for this. But of course they won't tell anyone this as it would be just stupid to show what we are doing.

Those 300 SF guys the US sent are more then just advisors you can bet. In fact, one was just killed, and not from food poisoning. Lead poisoning was more like it.