Thailand agrees to British police help over murders

Lite Beer

Lets try and keep the comments positive here no need for slander - this is a good result for all concerned

I agree,

Just like if this all goes like we know it should, and the proper people are found to be guilty,,,,,,,, let's not rip the faces off the Thai people and the Police in general. Lets all have a respectable manor about this and give credit where credit is do. Focus on good. One lesson at a time.

One of the biggest things we'd like to see out of all this is that Thai authorities learn the lesson of,,,,,,,

"DO UN TO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UN TO YOU"

So very terrible that the two young and vibrant British people fell to this garbage.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no. To be fair it also shows a tremendous ammount of courage/confidence to open up the investigation to international scrutiny.

If the Brits come along and condemn the investigation and it's finding it could be his opportunity to overhaul the entire police force

If the Brits come along and support the findings of the RTP then it shows how he was right and the police did a good job.

There are of course many other correlations, but whatever happens I do hope that the Brits are given the access they are promised, and the outcome is a full and fair trial with correct evidence and a little bit of closure for the families.

My rating for both David Cameron and General Prayuth Chan-o-cha has just stepped up a notch, very sensible approach by both men - they have done the right thing and IMO Thailand has restored "face"

Lets see how this pans out

The general was backed in to a corner and this is huge loss of face on his part.

Probably one of the worst things that can happen to Thai elite and on the world stage!

• Like 1

Absorbing all the news on this crime that occurred, it is unconscionable to most that anyone could send two innocent boys to the death penalty to cover up for someone else's heinous and monstrous behavior, but it is looking like that is exactly what is happening. Two things can be said about the crime, one, that it was one of the most gruesome on record, and two, that it is getting significant coverage from Thai and international news media.

So if it is indeed a cover up, and the majority of Thai nationals and foreigners believe that to be the case, what are the relationships that are in play? How can influential people garner power that can so effectively influence many organizations and get support from top government officials? Is it:

-Syndicated crime?

-Thug mafias?

-Political relationships?

-Simple corruption with financial pay-offs?

-Just a symptom of a hierarchical social structure?

-Family relationships?

I'm hopeful that ultimately, truth will emerge and we will know what actually happened, but am curious what others currently think of how things operate here. What are the reasons the Koh Tao case would might be pinned on innocents?

• Like 1

To validate DNA tests, they can obviously get a sample from the two boys. I wonder if the police still have the semen from the victims body to get a new sample from? Or just the DNA test results, which could be from somewhere else i.e. taken from the boys later on, not from the semen.

Seems like no semen no verification.

Run Nomsod run....

Thus far still just words.. Keep at them people.... You local islanders out there who truly know what happened keep e-mailing and spreading the word. Here's your chance.

There's plenty more that needs looking into. We should start a list.

Firstly all the missing CCTV footage.

Everybody's phone records that day. No doubt Nomsod used his FROM THE ISLAND.

Keep them coming people that's just a start..

I think this is a good idea: to make a list of discrepancies for the British police to look into. But we need to find a way to get such a list to the investigators. We can't just rely on hoping that they will read it here on Thai Visa. Can someone find out how people with information / ideas can contact these investigators directly? It would be good if they would set up some kind of "hotline". Just a dedicated email address for the case would be sufficient.

#86 wackybacy.

I agree there's so much room for a diplomatic incident over this and it's a big test for the PM so will international diplomacy trump Thainess, loss of face. etc.

He's already praised the BIB and indicated he will reward the investigators so if he needs to do a 180 degrees he's going to have to throw a lot of people including at very senior level to the wolves to save his own reputation.

I'd hate to guess how he will handle that other than make sure it doesn't reach that situation.

• Like 1

Yes and no. To be fair it also shows a tremendous ammount of courage/confidence to open up the investigation to international scrutiny.

If the Brits come along and condemn the investigation and it's finding it could be his opportunity to overhaul the entire police force

If the Brits come along and support the findings of the RTP then it shows how he was right and the police did a good job.

There are of course many other correlations, but whatever happens I do hope that the Brits are given the access they are promised, and the outcome is a full and fair trial with correct evidence and a little bit of closure for the families.

My rating for both David Cameron and General Prayuth Chan-o-cha has just stepped up a notch, very sensible approach by both men - they have done the right thing and IMO Thailand has restored "face"

Lets see how this pans out

The general was backed in to a corner and this is huge loss of face on his part.

Probably one of the worst things that can happen to Thai elite and on the world stage!

II wouldn't call it "courage / confidence" though but rather "political mastery" and "survival insutinct" by the Gen. that shows why he was able to get the top post and cling to it.

If British police find the real murderers he will put the blame on RTP chief (hence his paranoid statements as soon as he heard of the news)

Otherwise he will take the merit as the PM of a country with a great police force and a PM willing to be transparent.

The email newsletter headline is grossly misleading: the British police is not here to investigate anything.

As reported on the Nation, as well as on other Thai news websites, all the British will be able to do is to observe the investigation.

Police officers going to another country have no jurisdiction and therefore no authority to do anything without the assistance of their hosts.

They can ask for anything and everything without any guarantee they will get it and being told the ' BIB will co-operate fully ' can in reality mean little.

If they try to operate as they normal would, make demands etc they can so easily be reminded they are stepping beyond their terms of reference to Observe.

But Prayuth said they are allowed to help.

Observation only was yesterday and the vicious wish of the police general.

See which one is stronger

The general said but the proof of the pudding.

Help can be defined in any way wanted and maybe not quite in the positive way we all hope as the BIB will not want any fit up to be exposed.

If that happens it will be very public and the pressure will grow and Prayuth will put Somyot on the hot chair

I think the point of no return has been crossed

even the most stupidest big shots in Thailand will now get a little lesson and see that if you need tourists to feed your people, then, in the days of the internet, the rules changed big times and old daddy's habit of just shouting "shut up and do as I say" ARE OVER...

• Like 1

Run Nomsod run....

Thus far still just words.. Keep at them people.... You local islanders out there who truly know what happened keep e-mailing and spreading the word. Here's your chance.

There's plenty more that needs looking into. We should start a list.

Firstly all the missing CCTV footage.

Everybody's phone records that day. No doubt Nomsod used his FROM THE ISLAND.

Keep them coming people that's just a start..

I think this is a good idea: to make a list of discrepancies for the British police to look into. But we need to find a way to get such a list to the investigators. We can't just rely on hoping that they will read it here on Thai Visa. Can someone find out how people with information / ideas can contact these investigators directly? It would be good if they would set up some kind of "hotline". Just a dedicated email address for the case would be sufficient.

The Story of the Koh Tao Murder on Youtube

might be a good start

OH YEAA

This is what we wanted all along, objective reached.

BIG thanks to everyone who made a fuss and helped get the word out.

For once its one up to the good guys. clap2.gif

It's not over till the fat lady sings!

She'll sing. Whether it will be the "the family did it!" song or "how corrupt was that?" song only time will tell.

Adele and Susan Boyle are lining up for a duet...

Edited by DJVillain

To validate DNA tests, they can obviously get a sample from the two boys. I wonder if the police still have the semen from the victims body to get a new sample from? Or just the DNA test results, which could be from somewhere else i.e. taken from the boys later on, not from the semen.

Not sure if we have the policing and technical expertise to enter such discussions. Given the profile of the case I'm Sure British police have the people and the knowledge to get things done.

I am not sure but have the bodies been sent back to UK or are they still in Thailand.

The UK police/authorities need to do a full post mort on the bodies and get some new DNA samples unless the Thai police have had the victims cleaned.

The also need to take there own translator.

I can see the UK police will have their hands tied, with firm instructions from the UK government to not upset the Thai Police.

I personally think this will be a waste of time, they will not have freedom to do their own thing.

Nothing is going to change much. UK police have no authority outside of their own country. They can only work within what Thai authorities allow. Pretty much what going to happen is Thai police will give the brits some tour, show some evidences, let them re-verify the evidences, take some of their opinions, and at the end they will agree with Thai police on most things. Case resolved. Basically just a show to satisfy interests of both sides. Nothing more than politics.

Absorbing all the news on this crime that occurred, it is unconscionable to most that anyone could send two innocent boys to the death penalty to cover up for someone else's heinous and monstrous behavior, but it is looking like that is exactly what is happening. Two things can be said about the crime, one, that it was one of the most gruesome on record, and two, that it is getting significant coverage from Thai and international news media.

So if it is indeed a cover up, and the majority of Thai nationals and foreigners believe that to be the case, what are the relationships that are in play? How can influential people garner power that can so effectively influence many organizations and get support from top government officials? Is it:

-Syndicated crime?

-Thug mafias?

-Political relationships?

-Simple corruption with financial pay-offs?

-Just a symptom of a hierarchical social structure?

-Family relationships?

I'm hopeful that ultimately, truth will emerge and we will know what actually happened, but am curious what others currently think of how things operate here. What are the reasons the Koh Tao case would might be pinned on innocents?

It was stated in some writings by Thai people a few days ago (on Thai Visa here) that this Island's families has ties to the powerful Suthrup.

• Like 2

I am not sure but have the bodies been sent back to UK or are they still in Thailand.

The UK police/authorities need to do a full post mort on the bodies and get some new DNA samples unless the Thai police have had the victims cleaned.

The also need to take there own translator.

I can see the UK police will have their hands tied, with firm instructions from the UK government to not upset the Thai Police.

I personally think this will be a waste of time, they will not have freedom to do their own thing.

Stand down !

• Like 1

Where did ANYONE say ANYTHING about TAKING OVER the investigation???

Man you have an over-active imagination.... 'searching houses and interrogating witnesses'....... indeed.... lol

The British police will quickly eliminate the two young lads, and then make a list of suspects. They will surely be picking up Mr McCanna to find out what he knows.

what a difference 2 hours makes, or maybe you are trolling yourself?

Edited by slygeeza

About bl00dy time!

It remains to be seen just how much 'help' will be permitted.

Exactly. I'm sure they will only be shown as little as possible, especially the contentious material, and requests for access met with ' no have ', ' cannot ' and other suitably weak excuses.

If it doesn't go well I sincerely hope the visitors don't get bound up by diplomacy and if appropriate make it clear they were not permitted to operate as they would have liked so their report is not as comprehensive as it should be.

In any case they are not coming for "a few weeks"----- can you imagine the scramble that is now going on to get rid of anything and everything that might point to a cover up----- sorry guys but much too late

Who knows where those two boys will be by then !!!!!!!

Edited by biplanebluey

Did it ever occur to some of you lot that these guys are as guilty as sin and there has been no fit up?

If the Thai were to hinder the British Police from doing a proper investigation as been suggested they won't be too long in letting the world know about it.

To me all the Doubting Thomas's have achieved by slagging the RTP at every chance is to blacken the name and do further damage of the country most of you live in.

These guys were paraded in front of the public rinacted the crime for all to see and not one chirp out of them.

How stupid are you people. Put yourself in their place.

If you were innocent and knew you were facing the death penalty would you not shout patsy at the first chance you got?

So what if you got a beating later for crying out......according to them they had been beaten already.

Not until their lawyers came on board did we hear about beating..........the only possible defense they have.

Of course they are going to say they confessed under duress but could it possibly be that's what they were told to say ?

Of course the were beaten but it couldn't have been that's what they were told to say now could it?

IMVHO The lawyers are depending on public opinion to try and get these guys off and you lot are playing right into their hands.

I sincerely hope the British Police do get full access and back up the RTP and they throw everything the doubting Thomas's have said straight back in their faces.

It's a bad day in hell when a Prime Minister of any country is forced into a situation like this because idiots believe that every single policeman in Thailand is bent to such a degree

Common sense should tell you no top policeman with half a brain is going to put his head on the chopping block in a high porfile case like this with the Army looing over their shoulder

What do you think would happen to those if Prayut found out these boys had been stitched up?

Edited by Tanlic
  • Like 2

About bl00dy time!

It remains to be seen just how much 'help' will be permitted.

Exactly. I'm sure they will only be shown as little as possible, especially the contentious material, and requests for access met with ' no have ', ' cannot ' and other suitably weak excuses.

If it doesn't go well I sincerely hope the visitors don't get bound up by diplomacy and if appropriate make it clear they were not permitted to operate as they would have liked so their report is not as comprehensive as it should be.

In any case they are not coming for "a few weeks"----- can you imagine the scramble that is now going on to get rid of anything and everything that might point to a cover up----- sorry guys but much too late

exactly where did you hear they won't be here for weeks????? Mark my words they will be here in days, sorry to deflate your opinion

Not sure if we have the policing and technical expertise to enter such discussions. Given the profile of the case I'm Sure British police have the people and the knowledge to get things done.

Good point.