Problems with CTH

CFC

Yes, it used to happen when i had Truevision, since i cancelled it due to them losing the EPL rights,

i'm using the 365sport tv through the internet, and i have to say, it offers better sport coverage than

CTH and Truevisions.

10 dedicated sport channels with play on demand in HD (English commentary) for only 600bt a month.

Yes, it used to happen when i had Truevision, since i cancelled it due to them losing the EPL rights,

i'm using the 365sport tv through the internet, and i have to say, it offers better sport coverage than

CTH and Truevisions.

10 dedicated sport channels with play on demand in HD (English commentary) for only 600bt a month.

How good is the quality? How much data do you use?

It's HD quality straight to your computer then i connect a HDMI cable to the TV

and it's perfect coverage.

The internet provider i use is the standard 3BB package at 599bt per month.

Remember that it's on demand, meaning that the live match has to have already

started by a few minutes, so that gives the signal feed a few minutes buffer which

is shown on the PC.

This way you don't get any interference or pauses like you would on a live stream

​You can also watch any of the programs up to 7 days after the first showing whenever

​it's convenient for you.

sir

Satelite systems are like that, same same truevision

I am in a serviced apartment so want sure if CTH was satelite or cable. Is it possible to get the premier league football on cable T.V so there isnt interuptions when it rains.

My CTH loses its signals and has to be reset approximately once every two weeks. However, whilst that rubbish, along with the two bob handsets you get dished out the backup service over the phone is actually very helpful and competant.

As far as screens freezing that just part and parcel of satellite systems in developing countries

Only problem i have with CTH is they don't send me bills so i have no idea how much i owe, every now and then i will go with a old bill and pay on that as i not want to be cut off, i think for the 930bt it is very good value.

I don't think they have a clue who their customers are. The records were probably dispersed around their initial agents who were so instrumental in getting the whole show on the road last summer and many of who have reportedly since been fired.

You could always buy the GMM package that comes with CTH Nev if they chucked you out for non-payment. I'll bet CTH aren't sophisticated enough to be sharing credit records with their new partner.

I don't think they have a clue who their customers are. The records were probably dispersed around their initial agents who were so instrumental in getting the whole show on the road last summer and many of who have reportedly since been fired.

You could always buy the GMM package that comes with CTH Nev if they chucked you out for non-payment. I'll bet CTH aren't sophisticated enough to be sharing credit records with their new partner.

We live on 5 rai and have two homes the main we have CTH in the other in which the mil lives with the kids i put GMM in for them and in fact i have not even bothered looking what on there yet, so maybe if CTH cut me off i will see whats on and what i have to pay to get the premier league.

• 8 months later...

On another new thread outside the football forum Phuketjock posted on 13 July 2015 as follows:

"Anyone heard or know what is happening, or going to happen regarding the takeover of CTH by GMM?? Any info or rumours welcome."

Followed later by further clarification

"......how will current subscribers like myself be affected by the change of control from CTH (Cable Thai holdings ) to GMM, ...... I was trying to get a second box for another room and no one at CTH could give me any info other than all is on hold as their new systems are being upgraded apparently by GMM. Hence my question."

[http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/840152-gmmcth/?p=9617525]

I answer as follows:

Phuketjock. I think you are reacting to old news.

In February 2014 GMMZ and CTH entered into a partnership agreement the essentials of which were that GMMZ got the right to show CTH's Stadium channels, which carry English Premier League channels, and CTH got organisational (including systems) and marketing assistance from a longer standing and better resourced satellite operator, plus I think the right to show some limited further GMMZ channels. In respect of the GMMZ channels, either these made little impact on CTH customers or I am wrong in that particular recollection.

There has been little evidence to date that GMMZ have helped out with CTH's systems which have been notoriously rubbish - witness the fact that several of us ThaiV members still have not been billed or paid for the just-finished second season of CTH's three year deal with the EPL. I think what you are seeing is GMMZ finally coming in and trying to sort out the mess.

I have searched the internet for clues of some more recent changes in the structural arrangements between GMMZ and CTH and can find none. GMMZ is a pucker Stock Exchange of Thailand ('SET') listed company and it would be required to announce any major event like that. It has a proper website in English with an Investor Relation section showing financial news and SET announcements about the company's affairs. It's silence on any CTH-related matters convinces me that there is nothing substantively new happening.

Very poor for business that CTH can't add a second TV set to your package in the period of system sorting. Sympathies. Typical for CTH I'm afraid. Keep trying their customer services, as things change daily in Thailand!

It will be interesting to see what happens to the EPL 'franchise' in Thailand for seasons after 2015/16. That negotiation will be coming to fruition over the next few months. Best guess is that True Visions will come back into the game and out-muscle GMMZ/CTH by throwing money at it. Best guess is that the package is going to cost us football fans at least 20% more in a year's time! I'm saving my one year (two years?) subscription "holiday" in casetongue.png.

Meanwhile anyone signing up to CTH this summer for their final 2015/16 season of the current franchise would be well-advised IMO to take the pay monthly deal rather than any annual deal that may be offered. I guess I might change that advice if GMMZ's systems people show their mettle and manage to recover a list of lost subscribers from deep within the CTH chaos and then actually bill them for the lost revenue!

Edited by SantiSuk

There are rumours circulating that CTH will be, from Aug 1, cutting off some English speaking programs.Sky News has been mentioned as one that might get axed.

If so they might also be looking at deleting the mid week football shows and only providing the games which still has a season to run on their contract as I understand it.

Watching Wimbledon there was no commentary and my attempt to find out why not ? was an abject failure.

Anyone receiving solid information might like to keep us updated.

Surely it's hardly unlikely that CTH will stop any football content as surely they are must know that is the only reason that people have CTH.

Also for the rights of the EPL again GMM and CTH will have to get the rights otherwise their venture is dead. True have basically every-other quality European League football.

Of course that means the amount GTH or True will have to pay is going to rise and that means all of us have to more facepalm.gif

Surely it's hardly unlikely that CTH will stop any football content as surely they are must know that is the only reason that people have CTH.

Also for the rights of the EPL again GMM and CTH will have to get the rights otherwise their venture is dead. True have basically every-other quality European League football.

Of course that means the amount GTH or True will have to pay is going to rise and that means all of us have to more facepalm.gif

Better to kill the venture than make a continuing loss out of it. Presumably GMMZ/CTH will bid up to a level that they think they can make a profit (though it's always dangerous making assumptions about the logicality of business behaviour here in Thailand).

I'm guessing that True will believe they have a better capability to penetrate the market (proven long run marketing capability + greater depth to their existing package line-up) and thus would have higher revenue assumptions in their models allowing for a higher bid. I don't know if Thailand has a competition (monopoly) authority - the US/UK would never allow the level of market concentration that True could have in football broadcasting.

Edited by SantiSuk

There thinking might be if we cancel the mid week talk shows,saving money, and still show "live: the games that might be enough to hold customers.

The law of diminishing returns might just be its less painful in the long run to dissolve the company once the premier league contract expires.

I know 2 people who have cancelled CTH,not footie fans, and can't get their deposits back going back 6 months. Shambles.

Thought of going back to TRUE pees me off but we still have their dish on the roof ,my place is looking like a space station !

There thinking might be if we cancel the mid week talk shows,saving money, and still show "live: the games that might be enough to hold customers.

The law of diminishing returns might just be its less painful in the long run to dissolve the company once the premier league contract expires.

I know 2 people who have cancelled CTH,not footie fans, and can't get their deposits back going back 6 months. Shambles.

Thought of going back to TRUE pees me off but we still have their dish on the roof ,my place is looking like a space station !

I did not get my deposit back when cancelling TRUE, I don't expect to get back when I cancel CTH, I am playing then at their own game I have not paid my last 4 bills, so when time to settle up I owe them, I will see what happens.

If you can get Fibre optic ...or indeed other reasonable internet download speed, then android or similar box is the way to go. I have Astro at the moment, which is fine...but not cheap, and as the estate is getting in F/O ( 30MB+ allegedly) then I'll be going down this route for next season. Will post again when if/it's sorted.

As for CTH....only advice I can give is never pay them a penny....worked for mewhistling.gifthumbsup.gif

Edited by wilai

Certainly seems like they are winding down. They stopped populating most/all? of their English language programming on the internet a couple of weeks ago. I suspect that in any country with a sensible troubled business recovery system the programmes would be being {self-edited to delete possibly libelous (under this country's crazy laws) comment}.

Edited by SantiSuk

Everytime it rains and I am watching a match on CTH the screen freezes and stays like that until the rains stops. Anyone else have this problem.

At least you know when it's raining in Vietnam,a running joke in my house as every time I lose reception I say to the GF it must be raining in Vietnam.

I actually think CTH are great biggrin.png what other Satellite Co would give you free viewing for 13 months whistling.gif

Typical spurs fan on the rob.

Someone once said to me " would you buy a second hand car from someone out of the East End" i said " i wouldn't even buy a new car from someone out of the East End " biggrin.png

Just to get back on topic,a link explaining the deal between CTH and GMM.

http://grammy.listedcompany.com/newsroom/20140723-gmm-pr01-en.pdf

At first I thought this (undated) PR release was a rehash or update of the old co-operation and share swap agreement from earlier last year, but it's a different relationship being mooted now. Before, GMM and CTH swapped product and there was some share reorganisation to mirror that. Now all the pay-TV and satellite-TV interests of GMM and CTH have been merged into one company to be run by CTH (boo!). That company is to be owned 90% by CTH and 10% by GMM Grammy (to give the SET listed corporation its full title).

The release gives some information on packages to be offered, but there's limited detail and no pricing info. Surprised that they still seem to be using two different brands given the ostensible merging of everything into one company.

The release doesn't really give any clues whether this is good or bad news for viewers. GMM's sattelite interests were always a marginal part of GMM Grammy - I suspect that their 2+ million customers as cited is inflated by the likes of me who still takes programming from Euro 2012 days but now pays nothing or by Thais buying a basic package at a couple of hundred baht a month (I'm not sneering at that btw). The cynic would say that GMM have put their low value interests in with CTH, put some systems input in (ongoing) and, if it flys - all well and good. If it fails to acquire the EPL franchise later this year then everything is a bit neater when it comes to sorting out the mess that will be CTH.

For now though it looks less likely that CTH are abandoning English language programming in their packages, which will be good news IMO.

This doesn't yet help anyone looking to take up a new package. Watch and wait - or keep calling the CTH service number. Contact details in the pinned topic here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/662073-cth-useful-info-and-links/

I don't have a number for GMM but it may still be worth trying them as well as they may be marketing the new CTH company's packages in the inter-regnum and they are generaly a more switched on organisation. If you can find a package to buy then I would pay for the shortest contract period that you can if I were you. As covered elsewhere on this thread if you have a decent internet connection then the internet TV option is looking pretty alluring this season! Those with TOT connections in rural areas, like me, need not apply!

Usual last-minute stuff in advance of a new season TIT worse than the Greeks!.

Looking through my CTH Stadium channels, I've noticed that channel 61 "Stadium 6" is absent so, no John Dykes & Co on CTH.

Does anybody know if any internet EPL package show Dykes and his pundits ?

It's still there for me. Do a fresh search to recover lost channels (see pinned thread if not sure how to do this, or ask again)

On another CTH current matter, I received a text message/SMS from (ostensibly) CTH 2 days ago. I thought that maybe their systems had caught up with a need to bill me for last year, but wife translated that there is some sort of sport promotion that is activated by leaving channel Stadium 5 open for at least 30 minutes. Anyone else know what that is about?