Manchester City

mrbojangles

It was great to read the following in M.E.N. :-

Trautmann honoured

"FORMER City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann has been honoured with the German FA's most prestigious award.

The 85-year-old, who famously played on despite a broken neck to help City to a 3-1 FA Cup final victory over Birmingham in 1956, was presented with a diamond pin at a ceremony at a Berlin hotel hours before the friendly between Germany and England."

City had a Legend in Frank Swift, not easy boots to fill. Then along came Trautmann and the excellence continued.

This old United supporter takes his hat off to the pair of them.

Congratulations Bert.

this is great. from the guardian:

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"He sat downstairs as if it was the most normal thing for a multi-millionaire footballer to do. Word quickly went round about who he was. Nobody quite believed it and some just stared open-mouthed" - a Mancunian prole (OK, a Mancunian) reacts with slack-jawed astonishment upon seeing Robinho and his girlfriend board a double-decker bus headed for the Trafford Shopping Centre, where they probably read El Globo in WHSmith without buying it before being bullied by some chavs and getting the bus home again.

From the BBC

Man City 3-0 Arsenal

Arsenal's turbulent week ended in more misery as Manchester City sent them to their fifth league defeat this season.

The Gunners appeared to be in freefall after skipper William Gallas was dropped for his midweek outburst.

Stephen Ireland clipped in City's first after Gael Clichy sliced a clearance, and Robinho doubled the lead when he superbly chipped Manuel Almunia.

Robinho had a shot cleared off the line before Daniel Sturridge scored with a penalty after he had been fouled.

Arsenal's build-up to the match was blighted by Gallas' public claims that the team lacks spirit and togetherness, while City had won only once in five league games.

Gallas paid a heavy price for his comments, but his absence at the heart of the defence also cost the Gunners as they imploded for City's opener.

When Ireland burst into the box he lost control of the ball but Clichy skewed his clearance back into the midfielder's path and he finished with style.

Until that point, neither defence had really been troubled as careless passes dominated the play.

Arsenal, also accused by Gallas of lacking bravery, sometimes looked rattled by City's physical challenges.

And without Cesc Fabregas, Theo Walcott and Emanuel Adebayor they also looked lightweight coming forward.

However, City created little themselves before an unexpected spell of pressure at the end of the opening 45 minutes saw them rewarded.

It was a different story for the hosts after the break, though, as they countered with pace and precision, particularly through Robinho.

The forward might have had a hat-trick on another day, but had to make do with one goal.

It came when he was put through by Shaun Wright-Phillips and he sprinted clear before lofting an exquisite chip over Alumina without even breaking stride.

Later, Robinho thought he had scored with a back heeled flick but the goal was disallowed for offside.

And after that he perhaps should have scored when he rounded Almunia but his goalbound effort was cleared off the line by Johan Djourou.

Robinho was substituted shortly after having injured himself as he tried to score, but Arsenal were to suffer no change of fortune following the removal of their chief tormentor.

They might have pulled a goal back but Nicklas Bendtner shot straight at keeper Joe Hart.

And Robin van Persie had a goal disallowed for unsporting behaviour - the Dutchman nicked the ball off Hart as the keeper tried to take a goal-kick.

Instead it was City who got the next goal.

Sturridge earned himself a spot-kick after he was fouled by Djourou and the substitute confidently dispatched the penalty to round off a fine win for City.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes:

"I think it is only the second time in the Premier League we have been able to beat Arsenal, so it is a significant victory for us.

"We were good value for the win as well. We had a game plan and wanted to break up the rhythm of their play.

"We did not want them to dictate the game. The players stuck to their task and caused them problems."

Derby Day!

Hi, can anyone suggest a good pub to watch the City v Utd match on Sunday? I've not been in Bangkok long, so would appreciate any advice as to where a Blue could watch the match. (Preferably in the company of some other City fans!)

Also, does anyone know whether the Man City Store that was opened in Bangkok is still open? (It's supposed to have been located in the Shinawatra Tower 3). Any ideas?

Cheers!

Mike

The transfer rumour mill is doing my head in. I can't wait until the jan transfer window has closed to see who we do end up with. Mind you, the rumours will then start for the summer. :o

Daily Telegraph:-

Kaka on the radar?

"Manchester City target Gianluigi Buffon and Kaka in £100 million January bonanza"

A list of preferred targets has been drawn up and, with City having already shipped 22 goals in 14 league games, the immediate focus is on improving the defence. Ambitiously - and rather optimistically - the short-list includes John Terry, Kolo Toure and Gianluigi Buffon, the Italy goalkeeper. AC Milan's Kaka is also understood to be a target, while Lassana Diarra, Roque Santa Cruz and Chelsea left-backs Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge are being monitored.

Of course, the difference between Manchester City's wish-list and future team-sheet is likely to be vast, yet the calibre of some of the targets only underlines the club's intentions and, crucially, available money.

At a time when even Chelsea are announcing a review of their business, Manchester City's new found wealth will also inflate wages in football at a time of wider cost-cutting.

Manager Mark Hughes says that they "are going to make sure we do everything we can to bring in the players I know will help us" but accepts that there is a danger of prices being hiked up "because it is Manchester City".

After scaling back some of the more extravagant claims of his initial spokesman, Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan has promised to support the manager in January and also in the long term.

The £32.5million signing of Robinho on transfer window deadline day signalled City's intent in spectacular style, though club sources remain adamant that the events of August were only the start.

With City's new owner part of the Abu Dhabi ruling family, the club's funding is relatively unaffected by the global economic crisis.

However, there is also an acceptance that many of their transfer targets may prove unattainable in the short term. Terry, the England captain, has been with Chelsea throughout his career and has consistently outlined an ambition to remain at the club until he retires. The chances of Chelsea even considering a bid are also miniscule.

The unrest at Arsenal may heighten the possibility of Kolo Toure considering his options, though he signed a new contract in 2006 that is understood to last until 2010. Given Arsenal's current predicament, Arsene Wenger would surely also hesitate to sell one of his best and most experienced defenders, even if Toure has fallen behind Mikael Silvestre in the pecking order.

There is, however, optimism surrounding the possibility of successfully tempting Juventus to sell Buffon for a potential world-record transfer fee for a goalkeeper of £50 million.

Buffon, who is widely considered to be the world's best goalkeeper, was even quoted as advising his club to sell him should such a huge offer come in while Juventus may welcome the money given they have recently announced plans for a new 40,000-seater stadium. As well as Buffon, Diarra, Santa Cruz and possibly Bridge will be considered attainable targets in January.

Edited by mrbojangles

Derby Day!

Hi, can anyone suggest a good pub to watch the City v Utd match on Sunday? I've not been in Bangkok long, so would appreciate any advice as to where a Blue could watch the match. (Preferably in the company of some other City fans!)

Also, does anyone know whether the Man City Store that was opened in Bangkok is still open? (It's supposed to have been located in the Shinawatra Tower 3). Any ideas?

Cheers!

Mike

Hi,

I'm a Blue myself and I managed to convert an American not only to football but to Man City! We're watching it the Londoner. One thing you'll find is that we City fans are out numbered. Most of my mates are Mancunian reds, so it's all the sweeter when we win...I can't say that we've lost since I've been living in Thailand...not as I remember anyway.

Gulliver's has lots of screens (Shukumwit Soi 5) but I don't go in there anymore. It can get a bit aggressive sometimes and the manager is a pillock. There's the Penalty Spot near Soi 33 too. I haven't watched the game there but it is a footie bar and has lots of screens.

From skysports:-

Hughes coy on Kaka talk

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes has admitted signing AC Milan star Kaka could be an option for the club.

Cash-rich City have been linked with a host of top players, including Kaka, when the transfer window reopens in January.

Kaka revealed earlier this week in an interview with Sky Sports News he would consider a move to England in the future and hinted he would be interested in a move to Eastlands to link up with fellow Brazilians Robinho, Elano and Jo.

Hughes has refused to rule out a move for current World Player of the Year Kaka as he knows City are now an attractive proposition for the world's best players.

"I think every top player in the world would like to play in the Premier League at some point, and we are an option now," Hughes told the Manchester Evening News.

"Three months ago, the top players would not have considered coming to Manchester City.

"It's always interesting when top players talk about situations at people's clubs.

"But until something happens I haven't got a lot to say on the subject. We will have to wait and see.

"These are exciting times here, and January is going to be a part of that."

Schalke 0 - 2 Man City :o

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes has said he is delighted with his side's 2-0 win over Schalke.

After a slow start, City absorbed Schalke's attack and completely transformed the game to continue their 100 per cent record in the group stages.

Goals from Benjani and in-form Stephen Ireland were enough to cement City's status as Group leaders after a solid team effort in Germany.

Speaking after the game, Hughes hailed the performance as a great platform for Sunday's derby, and hopefully the knockout stages of the Uefa Cup.

"I thought we were really comfortable and knew when to break, so as a consequence Schalke were always on the back foot. It was a very accomplished performance," Hughes told the club's official website."

On the verge of qualifying, City could secure passage through to the knockout stages with a win over PSG at Eastlands.

"It's not absolutely certain, but I think there has only been one team that's not gone through on six points," said Hughes when asked about his side's qualification prospects.

"We have a home game to come and we think we can get a result in that one.

"We're in great shape and would be very disappointed not to go through from this position.

"It's been a great week, starting off against Arsenal, we've had a great performance here and it leads nicely into a certain game at the weekend!"

Outrage at Gelsenkirchen

The Times reports that during the second half of the match against Schalke, a female voice on the PA told the 2800-strong contingent: "Would all Manchester United fans stay in their seats until after the final whistle."

The City fans reacted by singing "We are City" non-stop for ten minutes until the announcer apologised during a break in play.

"I would like to say sorry to all Manchester City supporters'" she said. "That was the biggest mistake I have made in my life."

Indeed, it would be hard to imagine anything worse than that!

From skysports

Man City v Man Utd preview

Manchester City will aim to continue their excellent week by claiming the scalp of their local rivals on Sunday.

City completed the double over United last season :o and will be confident of collecting three points after following up their victory over Arsenal last Saturday with an impressive display against Schalke in the Uefa Cup.

Mark Hughes' men remain in the bottom half of the Premier League table after an inconsistent start to their campaign, although their home form has been good and United have struggled somewhat on their travels.

United have only won at Portsmouth and Blackburn this term, but many of their away fixtures have come straight after European games and Ferguson has stated that he feels his side have been 'handicapped' by the schedule.

Ferguson nevertheless believes the Red Devils can make up the ground on joint leaders Chelsea and Liverpool, with the deficit currently standing at eight points.

United already have a game in hand on their fellow title challengers and will fall further behind when they travel to Japan for the Fifa Club World Cup next month.

Playing in tournaments such as the one in the Far East will be a target for City now they have been taken over by the mega-rich Abu Dhabi United Group, and Sunday's contest should provide some idea of how close they are to United at the present time.

City will expect to narrow the gap over the coming months and years and more signings on the scale of Robinho are expected, either in the January transfer window or next summer.

Team news

Robinho, who joined City from Real Madrid for £32.5million, missed the Uefa Cup win over Schalke with a slight ankle problem but should be fit to take his place in attack.

Pablo Zabaleta (thigh) and Gelson Fernandes (hamstring) will also come into contention after injury as will Elano after dealing with a domestic matter.

Javier Garrido is doubtful after picking up a knock in Germany and could be replaced in the starting line-up by Michael Ball.

Dimitar Berbatov is back in training after missing United's last two matches with a hamstring problem and Ferguson is hopeful he will prove his fitness ahead of kick-off.

Gary Neville and Paul Scholes are not yet ready to return, while Owen Hargreaves is set to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Edwin van der Sar will line up in goal after being rested for the goalless draw against Villarreal in midweek, while Nemanja Vidic should also come back in.

Park Ji-sung, Rafael da Silva and Ryan Giggs will also be hoping to feature after being left out of the UEFA Champions League clash.

Possible starting XIs:-

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Richards, Dunne, Ball, Wright-Phillips, Kompany, Ireland, Hamann, Robinho, Benjani.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Carrick, O'Shea, Park, Berbatov, Rooney.

Derby Day!

Cheers!

Mike

Hi,

I'm a Blue myself and I managed to convert an American not only to football but to Man City! We're watching it the Londoner. One thing you'll find is that we City fans are out numbered. Most of my mates are Mancunian reds, so it's all the sweeter when we win...I can't say that we've lost since I've been living in Thailand...not as I remember anyway.

Gulliver's has lots of screens (Shukumwit Soi 5) but I don't go in there anymore. It can get a bit aggressive sometimes and the manager is a pillock. There's the Penalty Spot near Soi 33 too. I haven't watched the game there but it is a footie bar and has lots of screens.

Cheers, thanks for the information! I'll give the Londoner a go tonight. (I'll be the bloke in the retro 1968 City top!)

Come on City!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Tie of the round FA Cup in January........Man City v Nottingham Forest :D No giant killing in this round MrBJ......we'll get through this no probs :o:D

I dread games like this Chavy :D

I thought this might stir you into life buddy :D

Tie of the round FA Cup in January........Man City v Nottingham Forest :wai: No giant killing in this round MrBJ......we'll get through this no probs :o:D

I dread games like this Chavy :P

I thought this might stir you into life buddy :D

:D

Not that i'm calling Notts Forest a banana skin but...............t's a potential banana skin :D

You could be up against some big stars Chavy :o

City identify transfer targets

Blues keen to bolster their ranks in January

Manchester City executive chairman Garry Cook has revealed that a list of possible targets for the January transfer window has been drawn up.

The Blues have been strongly linked with several high profile players in recent weeks, with the club widely tipped to indulge in a New Year spending splurge.

Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas is the latest name to be touted as a possible new arrival, although the Spaniard is reported to have spurned City's advances.

With talk of record-breaking deals refusing to go away, and with the Abu Dhabi United Group making no secret of their desire to become a force in world football, Cook admits that there exciting times ahead for the club.

"Manchester City Football Club has a clear strategy for the future. We want the right players who will take this club forward and through discussions and meetings between myself, Mark Hughes and his technical staff, we have identified a list of targets," Cook told GuillemBalague.com.

"We will be working to bring those players to the club ourselves and we have not given another party or individual a mandate to negotiate on our behalf. In spite of recent reports, we are not using intermediaries to negotiate with players. In fact, only last week we refused two agents permission to seek out players on our behalf.

"Mark Hughes and I very recently met with the chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarek, to discuss this matter and we are all in agreement that the mandate for seeking out and securing new playing personnel for Manchester City Football Club is ours and ours alone.

"Furthermore, we would like to assure everyone concerned that we are committed to recruiting only those players who we consider to be the very best and most suitable for Manchester City Football Club in the future."

What are your guys views on who we will bring in January?

Personally, I think we should stick with Joe Hart. He is a very good keeper, and I believe will be England keeper within 2 years. He can only get better. It seems pointless going after Casillas and Buffon.

We need a new left back. Wayne Bridge would be an upgrade on whoever we have.

New Centre Half. Dunne has been a great servant, but I am not convinced he can take us to the next level. I have always liked Toure. I think he could be bought. Ideally we need a fast strong domineering centre half.

Richards has had a disappointing season, but he has undoubted talent. I would make him Captain. I think he needs a challenge, and will improve with added responsibility.

Ben Haim is cr#p, get rid ASAP.

Midfield......Hamann is now too old, even though he is a reliable option away from home. Vassell, cr#p get rid.

Kaka would be great, as well as a strong ball winner.so thats 2 new midfielders.

Ireland has been a revelation this season, SWP provides balance as well as being very mobile. Kompany, not totally sure of him.he seems ok.

Gelson is not a Premiership player

In attack, I am not sure Benjani is fully fit yet, Jo hasnt acclimatised and I wasnt happy to hear him out on the p#ss when he was supposedly ill!!!

Evans and Sturridge are definately for the future, but we need a big name proven goalscorer.

In short....sell Vassell, Garrido, Ball, Gelson, Ben Haim,

Buy.Bridge, Kaka, Van Buyton,Toure, Gattuso, Owen, Ibrahimovic.

I would go along with your proposed sales, JacknDanny.

Anyone know the latest on Bojinov? I thought he should be coming back by now. He looked OK against Milan but with his injuries record I wonder if he has a long-term future. (Wonder how much he has picked up in wages since joining City?)

With his injury record, I think he should probably move on also - and for the same reason I would have reservations about buying Michael Owen.

i had you down to lose that one bojangles, particularly after changing three of your back four. fulham are a good side this season.

Yeah they look ok but when we scored the first goal we should have just kept on top of things. Although we missed Robinho and Richards, we are also missing Petrov and Johnson.

Evans and Sturridge are definately for the future, but we need a big name proven goalscorer.

In short i agree with that Jack. Except for Owen, unless we got him for a free, i wouldn't spend money on him.

In short i agree with that Jack. Except for Owen, unless we got him for a free, i wouldn't spend money on him.

Without checking the relevant stats / information, I doubt people like Kaka Gattuso, Ibra will give up Champions League / Uefa Cup football to join city in Jan. Maybe in the summer.

You might be able to pick up a needed defensive midfielder / fb though.

Without checking the relevant stats / information, I doubt people like Kaka Gattuso, Ibra will give up Champions League / Uefa Cup football to join city in Jan. Maybe in the summer.

You might be able to pick up a needed defensive midfielder / fb though.

You're absolutely right james. Many people excited by the january window but i have my reservations as to who we will actually get. Summer will be the exciting time.