28 Thai airports nationwide ordered to install firefighting equipment

webfact

By Digital Content

14137738954234-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 20 -- Twenty-eight airports nationwide still lacking firefighting equipment have been ordered to install them following the pre-dawn fire last Friday at the northeastern Ubon Ratchathani airport, said Seree Chitsopa, deputy director-general of Thailand's Civil Aviation Department.

Mr Seree said the authorities at the 28 airports have been ordered to quickly check electrical wiring and other equipment inside the buildings, especially those built before 1990, as there was no law then requiring that firefighting system must be installed.

He said authorities were also ordered to install emergency fire alarm systems so that assistance could be given immediately.

Sprinklers must also be installed inside the airports to prevent a similar incident from occurring in future.

The blaze hit Ubon Ratchathani international airport at about 2am Friday. Containing the fire was initially difficult because the airport has only two fire trucks, but more firefighting trucks were called in later to help douse the blaze.

The fire broke out at souvenir shops inside the airport.

Repairs are expected to take nearly two months, said Mr Seree, adding that new zoning for airport souvenir shops will have to be arranged.

Mr Seree said he would request provincial officials to dispatch mobile toilets for temporary use. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-10-20

"Twenty-eight airports nationwide still lacking firefighting equipment have been ordered to install them..." wai2.gifwai.gif

"...the buildings, especially those built before 1990, as there was no law then requiring that firefighting system must be installed."

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

facepalm.gif facepalm.gif

• Like 2

What? You mean these airports have no firefighting equipment? Unbelieveable.

Thailand, a third world country and moving rapidly backwards.

Before you get your knickers in a twist, try to read the OP again.

This is not about runway security, but about buildings at very small airports with one or two flights a day.

Sure there are plenty of simular small airports in your first world country with the same lack of firefighting-abilities for their buildings!!

• Like 2

Third world. Was, is and always will be.

It can't be... I have tourist visa, I live in a condo next to the BTS, go to full moon parties on Samui, wear fisherman pants and tank tops that show my tattoos to get that Thai vibe. I shop at JJ's and eat at Burger King, McDonald's, KFC and Pizza Hut seven days a week! Dude, how can that be possible that I live in a 3rd world country?

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

As usual the mind boggles.

28 - TWENTY EIGHT!!! - airports in this country don't have fire fighting equipment? And have to be "ordered" to finally acquire it?

Safety - not an issue that is high on the agenda in this country, is it? Yet another hub that Thailand is never bragging about.

• Like 1

Try looking at the schools upcountry. Floors made of tinder-dry wood, no alarms, no sprinklers, no hand-held fire extinguishers, and often only one staircase to the upper floors. At least the municipal fire trucks were new forty or fifty years ago. I shudder to think of the tragedy that could happen.

• Like 2

this surely must also be the responsibility of the world aviation authorities , i doubt thailand is the the only transgressor regarding fire safety , i do remember passing the fire station in chaiyaphum and asked the wife it was a museum , ...nothing i saw there looked less than 50 yrs old !

• Like 1

Why do they not already have this, I mean its quite important right?? Does something have to happen before things get moving??

1. Because the odds of a fire happening are less than having costly programs and systems in place.

2. Yes, to the western mind. Refer to #1. Avoid the cost, the chance of something happening is low.

3. Yes. Quality of work for whatever's done and a preventive maintenance program, is another subject.

Life is cheap here, along with a comfortable lack of personal and professional accountability and responsibility.

It is nice that you think human life is cheap; victims of airport disasters may well agree.

You're good at justifying the Thai lack of international standards.

Hopefully no one you know will ever be hurt in a incident at a thai airport.

• Like 1

This is not about runway security, but about buildings at very small airports with one or two flights a day.

Sure there are plenty of simular small airports in your first world country with the same lack of firefighting-abilities for their buildings!!

Nonsense. Is one life worth less than 400?

To retrofit automatic sprinkler installations in that many buildings is virtually financially impossible. There are not enough companies in Thailand to design and install and they would have to almost close all the terminals during construction. Some major shopping malls and shops in Bangkok do not even have them. Idea might sound good but reality is different.

Why do they not already have this, I mean its quite important right?? Does something have to happen before things get moving??

1. Because the odds of a fire happening are less than having costly programs and systems in place.

2. Yes, to the western mind. Refer to #1. Avoid the cost, the chance of something happening is low.

3. Yes. Quality of work for whatever's done and a preventive maintenance program, is another subject.

Life is cheap here, along with a comfortable lack of personal and professional accountability and responsibility.

It is nice that you think human life is cheap; victims of airport disasters may well agree.

You're good at justifying the Thai lack of international standards.

Hopefully no one you know will ever be hurt in a incident at a thai airport.

Nice you turned my observations into justifications, then use it as a soap box for mock indignation and defense of past and future victims of airport related tragedies.

Really? blink.png

When I bought an extinguisher and smoke alarm for our home here I was laughed at and told it was a waste of money!!

I've experienced the Sydney 1994 bushfires, the Canberra 2002 bushfires, Cyclone Helen in Darwin 2008, more than ten serious floods and helped a friend rummage through their house after they lost everything to fire.

I realise things are different in Australia but surely Thailand has had enough wake up calls with various disasters to get their bloody act together much better than this!!!

There is more than enough money in Thailand to manage safety soooo much better in soooo many ways.

To retrofit automatic sprinkler installations in that many buildings is virtually financially impossible. There are not enough companies in Thailand to design and install and they would have to almost close all the terminals during construction. Some major shopping malls and shops in Bangkok do not even have them. Idea might sound good but reality is different.

Dude, have you never seen the preponderance of external plumbing in Thailand?

A friend in Lam Lukka has a 10 million baht house that was built 10 years ago. Of course he was gone working most of the time & his wife oversaw construction.

There's PVC pipe laying hither & thither all over the place. It's like they build stuff and then later say "Oh yeah, we should add some plumbing".

When I bought an extinguisher and smoke alarm for our home here I was laughed at and told it was a waste of money!!

I've experienced the Sydney 1994 bushfires, the Canberra 2002 bushfires, Cyclone Helen in Darwin 2008, more than ten serious floods and helped a friend rummage through their house after they lost everything to fire.

I realise things are different in Australia but surely Thailand has had enough wake up calls with various disasters to get their bloody act together much better than this!!!

There is more than enough money in Thailand to manage safety soooo much better in soooo many ways.

Stick around a few years and you will see the patern is well and truly established.

Nonsense. Is one life worth less than 400?

if you mean Baht than the answer is yes.

Dude, have you never seen the preponderance of external plumbing in Thailand?

A friend in Lam Lukka has a 10 million baht house that was built 10 years ago. Of course he was gone working most of the time & his wife oversaw construction.

There's PVC pipe laying hither & thither all over the place. It's like they build stuff and then later say "Oh yeah, we should add some plumbing".

Yes, but it does make some sense if you think about it.