Sangkhla Buri : a nice place to visit ?

zenplay

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

I plan to go to visit Sangkhla Buri (in Kanchanaburi province).

It seems to be a very nice and quiet place to visit for 2-3 days.

Does anyone ever been there?

What are the main and nice things to visit ? (I have heard of a famous wood bridge and some temples)

What kind of activities can be done there ?

What are the best accommodation to stay there ?

Thank you.

Hasn't the bridge had problems recently ?

Anyway, yes - for 2 or 3 days its great. An early rise, walk over the bridge with lots of photo op's. Continue to the temple at the other end of the island - and a walk back, is a long morning in itself.

Swimming, local cuisine (the missus still talks of the frogs and catfish dishes), a boat tour in the evening. Bike ride to the border.

Book a nice hotel by the lake, just take a long breakfast, read a book and relax.

If you fish its a good place for snake heads.

• Like 1

I love Sangkhlaburi, and the wooden bridge just finally re-opened so this is a great time to go. It's a relaxing place on a beautiful lake -- virtually no nightlife at all. There are a few worthwhile temples and there's Khao Laem National Park just to the south. A lot of people like to go up to Three Pagodas Pass at the Burma border to shop in the border market (you can't cross there). The boat trip to the sunken temple is by far the highlight; it's good in the afternoon but sunrise is the best if you can get up for it. You can arrange the trip the night before at the foot of the wooden bridge. Also a walk through the Mon village on the other side of the bridge is good if you enjoy culture and some good local food. If you're driving yourself, there are loads of attractions along the way -- Hellfire Pass, Sai Yok National Park, mountain-top temple in Thong Pha Phum, Vajiralongkorn Dam, etc. -- and it's a very scenic drive. Good coffee is grown around there as well. For accommodation, Samprasob Resort and Phongpailin Riverside are two of the nicer ones with the best views. There are also quite a few cheap guesthouses. If you've got some cash, Baan Thor Phan is a beautiful little boutique resort -- very romantic but a bit of a walk from town and the bridge. South of town, the Nature Club Resort offers packages with lakeside villas and activities like fishing, kayaking, hiking, elephant rides, etc. There are also some floating rafthouse homestays along the main road, maybe 15 or 20 km south of town -- good for fishing off your porch.

• Like 2

Sangkhlaburi is a peaceful place and great for a long weekends. The Mon bridge was damaged couple years back due to heavy flooding and debris stuck on it's supports. There's a nice public area across the river mouth on the opposite side from the town/hotels. Good spot to take some pics. Here's few picks from late 2010............

post-58807-0-09584500-1413869136_thumb.j

post-58807-0-29525100-1413869411_thumb.j

post-58807-0-75522300-1413869947_thumb.j

Very pleasant place just to chill and relax, and as others have pointed out, lots of things to see and to do. The road going there from Kanchanaburi is also very scenic. Went there in 1999, always wanted to go back some day.

Hasn't the bridge had problems recently ?

Anyway, yes - for 2 or 3 days its great. An early rise, walk over the bridge with lots of photo op's. Continue to the temple at the other end of the island - and a walk back, is a long morning in itself.

Swimming, local cuisine (the missus still talks of the frogs and catfish dishes), a boat tour in the evening. Bike ride to the border.

Book a nice hotel by the lake, just take a long breakfast, read a book and relax.

If you fish its a good place for snake heads.

The rebuilt bridge has just re-opened - last Saturday I believe.

Checkout this old topic from 2009 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/255702-sangkhla-buri-land-of-3-cultures/

I'm going next weekend. First time for 20 years. The Mon Bridge, the big Temple and the underwater town all I hope make this a worthwhile family viisit

I am sure you will enjoy the temples.

I hope your accommodation has a television because the reports are of little or no night life smile.png

Not long back took some friends on the P Guest house long tail boat, elephant ride, bamboo raft trip, well worth the trip.

Not the usual elephant ride thing but up a remote river and down again on a bamboo raft, the boat stopped the underwater temple.

Did the trip to 3 pagodas pass on the song tau another different worthwhile ride if you have never been on one.

There's a very pretty waterfall, sorry, can't remember the name.

There's also a rafting or tubing river activity.

There used to be a friendly Austrian guy who ran a guest house there. This was years ago, don't know if he is still there. Very nice man.