The garish new fake western style building on the Tappraya Road hill

Jingthing

What's going in there?

You know the place ...

they are just finishing it.

It looks like it could be in San Jose, California or something.

It's got that amazingly kitsch sculpture in front ... nudes, innit?

On the hill road between Pattaya and Jomtien.

It's still empty.

I had thought this was going to some kind of major shopping mall.

Like with a Starbucks in it or something.

But now that I see the shell spaces, I can't understand what kind of place it's going to be.

Any ideas or info on it?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's still a mystery as to what types of businesses are going in there. It looks like there might be housing in there as well, but maybe that's for non retail business offices or something. Didn't notice a parking lot either, but wasn't looking closely either. As said before, the place looks bizarrely out of place, almost like a frontage for a movie set or something in Disneyland. Very plastic. Trying to give the superficial coating of elegance but clearly not seriously actually doing that. That sculpture is the kicker. I find it very funny so far!

Edited by Jingthing

It still just looks like a tastelessly decorated shopping precinct to me; very similar to Mimosa near the Ambassador, and the food place a few miles further on towards Bang Saray.

The style is reflected to an extent in this condo development:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=condo+venetian+jomtien&gws_rd=ssl

I'm sure it will soon be full of factory outlet shops and luggage shops and jewellery shops and overpriced cafes.

Edited by KittenKong

It still just looks like a tastelessly decorated shopping precinct to me; very similar to Mimosa near the Ambassador, and the food place a few miles further on towards Bang Saray.

I'm sure it will soon be full of factory outlet shops and luggage shops and jewellery shops and overpriced cafes.

I agree. Like Mimosa which I haven't even been to but have seen pictures. Very crass design as well. Your prediction sounds credible. It will be interesting to see. In the earlier stages I thought it might actually be a shopping place of more usefulness to residents ... but seems less likely now.

We already have one overpriced cafe across the road. A Starbucks would be nice though.

Maybe, but if it gets thousands of visitors a week like Mimosa then i am sure the owners will be delighted.

I have seen this design in newer shopping areas in California. The concept is not to make it look like a mall but pedestrian friendly and you are shopping in a Mediterranean village. Hope it works here, at least they didn't build more Thai shop houses.

Hardly a new concept.. Ever heard of "Palio" an Italian themed shopping area/tourist attraction near to Khao Yai ?

Been running for ages.

You guys need to get out more. This is nothing more than Thais copying someone else's idea and jumping on the bandwagon.

It really hurts me to see, that some tw_a_t has been trying to copy effect- or texture paint by using cheap National and a sponge.

This complex should have been treated with the original effect from Italy and not with some kind of cheap "I can do, I can do"-paint from the first pop-n-mom hardware store in town.

For more info on the Italian effect paint........pm me!!

Well you wouldn't see that fountain in San Jose, California.

Perhaps not but you would see the fake old style Europe architecture in a shopping space (but done much better).

As the spaces presumably get tenants, it will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Perhaps this thread can be used to post news on that as it happens.