Denial of Marriage Extension without Children?

This happened to my friend Pat married to a Thai husband.

She was told she could not have a marriage visa. No reason given.

So she went for the retirement one instead.

The reason is I think , is because of the paper work that is involved, they do not like to work.

This was at Nan by the way.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the amphur in udon and the big boss couldn't figure out why immigration was refusing to process my extension. Ultimately paid 3,000thb for the uniformed stooges in udon to correct the error that the stooges in Samui made.

You have been extorted or have bribed. At the amphoe corrections are free or 20 Baht.

Entirely possible. I wasn't there at the amphur when this happened. Also possible that corrections are cheap or free if done at the same office where the error was made and more expensive at another office. I'm guessing someone pocketed 3k at my expense though because that's just less than a 1 way ticket and convenience factor is high

Entirely possible. I wasn't there at the amphur when this happened. Also possible that corrections are cheap or free if done at the same office where the error was made and more expensive at another office. I'm guessing someone pocketed 3k at my expense though because that's just less than a 1 way ticket and convenience factor is high

No blaming from me. I didn't even knew that corrections were possible at a different office. But no vital record cost Bt 3,000 in Thailand.

One officer cannot deny your application you can ask to talk to supervisor.

I agree. I had a similar situation a few years back. Wanted to extend using my wife's salary and was told point blank by the officer that I couldn't. Knowing full well I could I politely asked to speak to the senior officer ( who was ear-wigging anyhow) who confirmed that I could and passed me on to another officer who processed the paperwork.

Didn't that law change rather quickly, so that the 40K must come from the farang husband?

Lite Beer, absolutely concur. My question is, How to get around an official that is telling them this? I couldn't find anything related to this on the Thai Immigration Website, yet my friend and wife were told very plainly that this was a new rule change for married visa.

The couple that were told the SAME THING (so not a paperwork glitch, as they had done the extension before, but just switched to the Retirement as he had the money salted) a couple of weeks ago would be very interested in paz explaining how they misunderstood.

Edit: I'm not denying that this sounds completely "off" but I am inquiring here, as I know others have dealt with officials that have new "rules" that aren't really "rules" being enforced and would like to know what my friend can do to either A) get the official to realize it isn't a rule (in a face-saving way for everyone concerned) or bypass this official in some way. (Hua Hin come to mind to anyone for jumping the gun or rules?)

This seems to me that they are just trying to get him to do a retirement extension instead of marriage extension. This is very common if you earn or have enough money on deposit. The immigration offices all do this (in my experience) as its a lot less paperwork for them. This happened to my friend in Nakhon Sawan office in September. They told him he couldn't have an extension based on marriage but he could have one based on retirement.

Edited by Jaggg88

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was able to submit all paperwork for extension based on marriage at Pattaya and told to come back in one month. I returned on that day requested and advised paperwork had not yet been received form CW. Come back tomorrow. I did so only to be told the same and to come back next week. I am a bit concerned that I am not currently here without a current extension of stay, or is this normal. I was told by Pattaya that this is no worries as they are still awaiting responce from Bangkok.

There's no child(ren) requirement, but if you're both of child bearing age and you've been married for a number of years without an offspring, then it simply means that your marriage was arranged just for the purpose of getting your yearly visa. I was told that in Suan Phlu when I was doing my third extension. The officer asked my ex if she was just helping me with my visa, if she had someone else, and why we hadn't had any kids, because she answered no to the other questions. We were encouraged to have kids, or I'd be denied a visa the following year.

I would like to see the face of such an immigration officer when presented with a medical certificate of infertility. Or would they promptly push forward an orphanage information sheet ?

These "encouragements" are shameful and would not last one minute when properly challenged.

The verification of "de facto" marriage is stringent enough, pointing the "well intentioned" officer to the pictures and witness required should be enough to have them back off from such intimidation.

Unfortunately before blaming the foreigner that is naturally disadvantaged, a lot of the responsibility goes to the Thai spouse that because of culture or sheer ignorance, accepts to be vexated by the authorities in any and all situation.

I'm with immigration on this one,

No kids would mean no extension, unless a doctors certificate of infertility produced.

Lots of pretend foreigner marriages in Thailand.

No kids would mean no extension, unless a doctors certificate of infertility produced.

You are not siding with immigration but with a rogue office abusing his power.

What you are saying doesn't make the smallest sense, Marriage does not mean not having kids. As an american you should know English.

If you want to express suggestions on how regulations should change, write to the Immigration bureau.

• Like 1

You are not siding with immigration but with a rogue office abusing his power.

What you are saying doesn't make the smallest sense, Marriage does not mean not having kids. As an american you should know English.

If you want to express suggestions on how regulations should change, write to the Immigration bureau.

This is very stupid comment. It is the couple's personal decision if they want to have children (especially in such a country as Thailand) and immigration and TV users who think otherwise should just mind their own business.

• Like 2