TCT: Another tough year ahead for Thai tourism if martial law stays

webfact

Do you really want to increase tourism? Then legalize prostitution and allow public nudity - duh.

Do you really want to see fat farangs walking around nude? Good way to scare off everyone, not just the tourists.

Do you really think I was referring to fat farangs?

It doesn't matter who you were referring to. It matters who would "take advantage" of it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Martial Law or political chaos.........take your pick.

Your thinking is very short term, perhaps you've gone native. What do you think the end game to all this will be? It must be that martial law stays in place, forever, orrrr, the push back against such a dictatorial regime will be so great that 'political chaos' will be like nothing you've seen yet w00t.gif

All that will have happened is that a bad situation has been made potentially much worse.

I think the end game to all this will be a free and fair election. It may be a little later than originally planned, but it will happen.

• Like 1

Do you really want to increase tourism? Then legalize prostitution and allow public nudity - duh.

Do you really want to see fat farangs walking around nude? Good way to scare off everyone, not just the tourists.

Is that a picture of you in your avatar biggrin.png

Yes, would you like to see me naked?

It doesn't matter who you were referring to. It matters who would "take advantage" of it.

"Who you were referring to" would be more properly stated as "to whom you were referring". Prepositions shouldn't be used to end either phrases or sentences. Your mother and 9th grade english teacher would not be proud. wai2.gif

"Who you were referring to" would be more properly stated as "to whom you were referring". Prepositions shouldn't be used to end either phrases or sentences. Your mother and 9th grade english teacher would not be proud. wai2.gif

My mum was a 9th grade science teacher, so she wouldn't care less.

Thailand doesn't seem to understand,

Other than the sex trade, they do not have a reputation in the world, for anything other than unstable governments

Has no one bothered to tell them that?

If you left your barstool once in a while, you might be surprised, what Thailand actually has to offer!!

As for your comment later in the thread about no families are visiting the kingdom, absolute nonsense!!

Been running a tourist-related business for many years, and most of our customers are farang-families,

like in farang father, farang mother and farang children. And they keep coming back, many of the kids we have followed from babies to teens!!

Believe it or not, Thailand is much more than Pattaya!!w00t.gif

To return to the topic, no doubt martial law is hurting business. Together with the fact that providing a second class product and charging for first class, can only last for so long.

(And before you get started, I am talking about Thailand, not my business)

Good for you. Now stop calling us farang.

It seems that tourism has been taken for granted. Particularly the enormous effect it has on the "grey economy", in which tens of thousands of locals depend.

Instead of a concerted effort to encourage, welcome and protect this industry, it has got a battering.

As thousands of Thais loose their incomes - the smiles will fade, crime will increase, doubtless to be followed by more crackdowns. At which point what's left of Thailand's tourist mojo will be shattered.

Thaksin will smile.

Tat you haven't got a clue try pulling your head out of your collective butts and smell the coffee Thailand is in the news all over the world because of the Murders on Kho Tao In case you didn,t know your dirty laundry is being aired worldwide it may take years if not decades to recover. I hope it is the latter for the poor honest Thai's working selling street food.

Edited by Strangebrew

say for instance a plant/ tree /bush shows signs of dying one might naturally take stock and try for a cure

but if these efforts of rehabilitation were obviously in vain the only sure fix is to dig it up destroy the complete plant roots and all and start all over again with a new and stronger plant along side a revamped plan for new development

Does this look/sound familiar?

post-209519-0-30027000-1413948851_thumb.

• Like 1

Would not be such a bad idea to legalise the possession of small, say up to 5g, of hash.(Hasn't harmed the Netherlands)

and a good side effect of that would be slashing the prison population by about 75%.

• Like 1

say for instance a plant/ tree /bush shows signs of dying one might naturally take stock and try for a cure

but if these efforts of rehabilitation were obviously in vain the only sure fix is to dig it up destroy the complete plant roots and all and start all over again with a new and stronger plant along side a revamped plan for new development

Does this look/sound fami

sorry i have not heard or seen this please explain the connection in laymens terms

Watch the movie,all will be explained.it was Peter Sellers last movie before he died.It'a available on torrent sites

sorry i have not heard or seen this please explain the connection in laymens terms

thanks for that would you mind awfully if i don't not very up to date with torrents and the like bit old school really i like the concept of buying a ticket for the six penny rush on a Saturday morning biggrin.png

Other than the sex trade, they do not have a reputation in the world, for anything other than unstable governments

If you left your barstool once in a while, you might be surprised, what Thailand actually has to offer!!

As for your comment later in the thread about no families are visiting the kingdom, absolute nonsense!!

Been running a tourist-related business for many years, and most of our customers are farang-families,

like in farang father, farang mother and farang children. And they keep coming back, many of the kids we have followed from babies to teens!!

To return to the topic, no doubt martial law is hurting business. Together with the fact that providing a second class product and charging for first class, can only last for so long.

Why? Are you from Nigeria??whistling.gif

Why? Are you from Nigeria??whistling.gif

No, but I'm not from France either.

thanks for that would you mind awfully if i don't not very up to date with torrents and the like bit old school really i like the concept of buying a ticket for the six penny rush on a Saturday morning biggrin.png

Did your tanner include a Kiora?

• Like 1

Yes ... well there is always this as as an alternative edification (Churchill on Prepositions):

"The saying attributed to Winston Churchill rejecting the rule against ending a sentence with a preposition must be among the most frequently mutated witticisms ever. I have received many notes from correspondents claiming to know what the “original saying” was, but none of them cites an authoritative source.

The alt.english.usage FAQ states that the story originated with an anecdote in Sir Ernest Gowers’ Plain Words (1948). Supposedly an editor had clumsily rearranged one of Churchill’s sentences to avoid ending it in a preposition, and the Prime Minister, very proud of his style, scribbled this note in reply: “This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.” The American Heritage Book of English Usage agrees."

Ref: "Churchill" on Prepositions - www.wsu.edu

Are we yet off the topic to which this thread was assigned (or is it the topic this thread was assigned to - I forget)?

Edited by MaxYakov

I wouldn't normally comment about posts of this nature, but.

(hint, you fill in the words after the but yourself, a 9th Grade English teacher {notice the capital letters} should be able to explain that to you)

I can't stand grammar Nazis (used to be one, then I grew up) especially ones who then go on to make basic mistakes.

Now, back on topic please.

The country being under Martial Law will have some effect on tourist numbers, but it is far from the main reason.

• Like 1

I don't understand why has martial law hindered tourism. Tourists visit Thailand for fun, not to stage uprising or whatever. In fact I feel safer now than ever. At least I don't have to worry about being caught in the middle of scuffles between the police and the protestors, traffic jams caused by the protestors.

• Like 1

As usual, the TAT is blaming the Martial Law statutes for the decline in tourist traffic. The fact that the over-all LOS, increasingly negative, abundantly resentful, red-necked social behavior of Thai menfolk (toward foreigners),is being constantly reported, via the internet (international) news medium, has absolutely nothing to do with it, I suppose whistling.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen
  • Like 1

I don't understand why has martial law hindered tourism. Tourists visit Thailand for fun, not to stage uprising or whatever. In fact I feel safer now than ever. At least I don't have to worry about being caught in the middle of scuffles between the police and the protestors, traffic jams caused by the protestors.

Martial law has affected tourism because potential tourists hear about it and go running for the hills ... or beaches ... somewhere else besides Thailand.

• Like 1

As usual, the TAT is blaming the Martial Law statutes for the decline in tourist traffic. The fact that the over-all LOS, increasingly negative, abundantly resentful, red-necked social behavior of Thai menfolk (toward foreigners),is being constantly reported, via the internet (international) news medium, has absolutely nothing to do with it, I suppose whistling.gif

Tourists don't notice these kinds of things. Only people that have lived here a few years do.

• Like 1

(hint, you fill in the words after the but yourself, a 9th Grade English teacher {notice the capital letters} should be able to explain that to you)

I can't stand grammar Nazis (used to be one, then I grew up) especially ones who then go on to make basic mistakes.

The country being under Martial Law will have some effect on tourist numbers, but it is far from the main reason.

Examples:
The president will address Congress.
Chairman of the Board William Bly will preside at the conference.
The chairman of the board, William Bly, will preside.
The senators from Iowa and Ohio are expected to attend.
Also expected to attend are Senators Buzz James and Eddie Twain.
The governors, lieutenant governors, and attorneys general called for a special task force.
Governor Fortinbrass, Lieutenant Governor Poppins, and Attorney General Dalloway will attend.
  • Like 1

Quite correct Thaddeus,

But our clan members use the Marshall Law topic as fodder--for their agenda. As you say most of the reasons for drop in numbers are as long as a piece of elastic.

They have all been aired way before the PM took office, ALL posters are aware of the scams from yonks ago. Why the sudden jump on the PM using ML. as the main reason.

OMG I keep forgetting every post is giving me a greater post count, as some posters are et-up about. But they forget their post count is increasing every time they respond. Mai pen rai.

Martial law is the least of their problems. Let's be honest... if you take away the sex trade a vast majority of the expats would pack up and leave... yes it's a sad fact that Thais covet nothing but money and the expats covet easy sex.

Change... oh how you all talk about wanting things to change and yet few if any won't leave; you'd rather have something to piss and moan about on your bar stools. Who's worse Thais or Expats? The Thais believe that this is Thailand and is the greatest nation on earth and cannot be affected by outside influence. The expats talk about all the social ills and yet remain happy to stay and fuel the issues with their money.

I wonder what it would take for the expat community to finally grow a pair and do what is needed... leave.

• Like 1