Jet-skis told, 'Get back off Phuket's beaches'

webfact

Jet-skis told, 'Get back off Phuket's beaches'
Nattha Thepbamrung

jet.jpg
Wrong place – jet-skis were specifically told they must not park on beaches.

PHUKET: -- A meeting yesterday (October 21) to follow up on application of the policies of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) repeated that all beaches must be cleared of commercial activity – and that includes jet-skis that have once again crept back onto the sand, particularly at Kamala.

The meeting drew together most of Phuket’s hierarchy from tambon to district and provincial levels, and was jointly chaired by Phuket Police Commander Maj Gen Pachara Boonyasit, Royal Thai Navy Region 3 commander Vice Admiral Sayan Prasongsamret, and Phuket Vice-Governor Jamroen Tippayapongtada.

“Two beaches – Naiyang and Kamala – have yet to be cleared completely because of court cases, V/Gov Jamroen explained.

However, he said, business operators are not allowed to go back on the beach. There are no exceptions, he said – and that includes jet-ski operators.

“Jet-skis are not allowed to park on the beach. Operators can park them on private land and we will arrange entrance and exit routes and time limits for them. The Phuket Marine Office will responsible for the zoning, timing and security.

“Beaches must be free of private business because they are public land. As for small operators who may have been affected [by the beach clean-up], we are already cooperating with officials and the private section to help support them.

“As for business operators who are still putting big cushions on Surin Beach, I will go to speak with them and point out that it is inappropriate and they should do business only in their own [private] areas,” V/Gov Jamroen said.

Gen Pachara stressed that black plate taxis must “vanish” from the island.

“I will command the operation of this issue and all illegal taxis will be gone. We are also looking for some proper bus stations for public transport.”

V/Adm Sayan expressed his confidence that beaches and manpower for security are ready for the high season.

“We have already returned beaches across Phuket to their natural state and they are ready to welcome tourists for the upcoming high season,” he said.

“There are security teams standing by to help tourists in case of accidents both in the water and on land.”

“We will continue to adjust the scenery at each beach, creating activities as we have done before such as planting trees and collecting garbage.

“The most important thing is that we will launch campaigns through community leaders to persuade local people to love the beaches, as these people are the most significant element in protecting them.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/jet-skis-told-%E2%80%98get-back-off-phuket%E2%80%99s-beaches%E2%80%99-49272.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-22

Unfortunately if it's left up to the Marine 5 guy, enforcement will not happen. Why wasn't the marine 5 guy there at this meeting, and more importantly, why isn't the law that requires anyone to be on a jet ski to hold a Thai skippers license enforced? Brown envelopes seem to come into the thought process here.

Edited by steelepulse
  • Like 2

Jet-Skis may be on sale very cheap in Thailand soon. Hopefully people from other countries will buy them and export them out of here. Thailand could actually go for a more realistic "hub". It could be the Hub of Jet-Ski Free Beaches, and that may actually appeal to a lot of potential tourists.

you want jet ski free beaches...look no further than Koh Chang..

A few weeks ago I saw a Chinese couple on a rented jet ski 50 feet from the Kata beach shoreline - I tried to give them instructions with sign language and by yelling at them. And yesterday, I had a sunset paddle with at least 5 jet skis roaming about and many more parked on the beach. The main problem is tourists have no training and never follow any rules. Rental outfits need to make money rent out in times of high waves and poor conditions. Better yet - just sanction them to the East Coast where there are no swimmers.

A big middle finger salute to the Phuket Governor who let them back on. Why is this guy still in office anyway?

This week there were 13 jet skis on Kamala Beach to service the approximately 40 tourists on the beach. Good riddance. I did a tongue in cheek post that the beach was to be renamed Jet Ski Paradise Beach. Buddha bless the NCPO.

A big middle finger salute to the Phuket Governor who let them back on. Why is this guy still in office anyway?

This week there were 13 jet skis on Kamala Beach to service the approximately 40 tourists on the beach. Good riddance. I did a tongue in cheek post that the beach was to be renamed Jet Ski Paradise Beach. Buddha bless the NCPO.

You mean the guy who is in office for about one week now?

He already did "crime" - all those fake damage reports and extortions.

I'm off to the beach today with my camera.

Screw these operators.

Take care ... and good luck !

Got as far as Karon beach - too dämn hot! Decided to go back to Rawai where it was cooler and raining a little biggrin.png

So here's one of the guys who didn't get the memo from Phuket Police Commander Maj Gen Pachara Boonyasit, Royal Thai Navy Region 3 commander Vice Admiral Sayan Prasongsamret, and Phuket Vice-Governor Jamroen Tippayapongtada.

I guess they didn't have his address:

post-35489-0-86805700-1413980886_thumb.j

I recall the jetski boss said his staff would have no other choice to resort to crime if removed.

Let's see if that threat resurfaces again.

Which is funny, considering that these operators already routinely commit crimes by scamming tourists. lol

Is a wonder no farangs who have had the JS scam have never took a can of 93 RON on a trip up Sai Nam Yen... with a Zippo? That would take about 15 out right there, just saying is a wonder like...

The magic line in the OP is marine will give access from private areas onto the beach, read they will be working as normal at a beach near you! Them and the Parasailing Knob Heeds spoil the beach and are a noise nuisance

Unfortunately if it's left up to the Marine 5 guy, enforcement will not happen. Why wasn't the marine 5 guy there at this meeting, and more importantly, why isn't the law that requires anyone to be on a jet ski to hold a Thai skippers license enforced? Brown envelopes seem to come into the thought process here.

I think they already gave up on the marine guy. That's why they are controlling the beaches, but allowing them on the sea, via entry and exit points.

A few weeks ago I saw a Chinese couple on a rented jet ski 50 feet from the Kata beach shoreline - I tried to give them instructions with sign language and by yelling at them. And yesterday, I had a sunset paddle with at least 5 jet skis roaming about and many more parked on the beach. The main problem is tourists have no training and never follow any rules. Rental outfits need to make money rent out in times of high waves and poor conditions. Better yet - just sanction them to the East Coast where there are no swimmers.

No .... just get rid of them ...

they are noisy ... pollution bellowing pieces of crap !!!