Foreigners 'May Soon be Able to do 90-Day Reports at 7-Eleven Stores'

khwaibah

I'll add my 2 satang worth before this gets out of hand.. The 90 day report at 7-11/CP/Makro is not as farfetched as it sounds. Who wouldn't pay a 10 bath service fee to a 7-11 any where in Thailand to do 90 day report. Only a dream at the moment BUT it looks like CNX has gone the way of Pattaya and Phuket probably for the same reasons. "Changing visa status

Under the new rules, changing one's visa status – for example, from a tourist visa to a retirement visa – can no longer be done in one day. The process will now take up to 21 days."

In Phuket, before getting a Retirement extension from a VOA (or Visa Exempt Extension as Ubonjoe correctly describes it) one must first apply for a Non Immigrant 'O' if he/she has opened a Thai bank a/c, or has proof of income from his embassy or consulate, but the applicant must have 21 days left on his entry 'on arrival' stamp. If he/she does not have 21 days they can extend the 'VOA' and then apply. The one year Retirement Extension can then be applied for within the last 30 days of the 90 day Non 'O' providing he has the required funds. The entire process can take up to three months + after arrival to Thailand.

• Like 2

Quote from CityNews...

"Police Colonel Rutjapong Saravanangkool said officials had mooted plans that would allow foreigners to use a keycard or something similar when checking in at convenience stores. He would push this idea over the next year and hoped to make it a reality, he added"

What is "mooted plans"...

They have mooted plans for a new Immigration office...

They have mooted plans for a Skytrain...

They have mooted plans for Democracy...

This sounds similar to when pigs fly out... coffee1.gif

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

PlastikbinLina: This process has been described on TV many hundreds of times. You're a relative newcomer so check out the Visas Forum. You seem to be confused between a visa on arrival and a visa exempt entry. They are not the same. You can get up to speed on the terminology by checking the appropriate forum. I'm sure nobody want to rehash the details. smile.png

PlastikbinLina: This process has been described on TV many hundreds of times. You're a relative newcomer so check out the Visas Forum. You seem to be confused between a visa on arrival and a visa exempt entry. They are not the same. You can get up to speed on the terminology by checking the appropriate forum. I'm sure nobody want to rehash the details. smile.png

now PlastikbinLina go sit on the chair at the back of the class

I think that post was actually about the process of doing two steps towards a retirement extension. First step, change of status from entry stamp or tourist visa to O. Second step, annual retirement extension.

Hardly.

I think that post was actually about the process of doing two steps towards a retirement extension. First step, change of status from entry stamp or tourist visa to O. Second step, annual retirement extension.

CNX Immigration is saying that a single entry 90 day O-Visa can not be issued by them. This is the first step for retirement by extension. Pattaya and Phuket immigration has had this done to them and now CNX.

• Like 1

"90-day check-ins

All foreigners in Thailand must check-in with Immigration every 90 days. They can do so in person at the Immigration office, or submit the forms by registered mail or via a third party. Police Colonel Rutjapong said the Chiang Mai Immigration office is almost at capacity, and encouraged people not to report there in person if possible."

been saying this for years, no need to be going to Immigration for 90-day when you can do it by post. now Immigration is requesting that people report by post.

• Like 1

I wonder what immigration is on about. Have many improper conversions from visa-exempt to 90-day non-imm Os been done in the past? Unless that's a problem, it seems odd to take away the ability of the Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai immigration offices to grant them.

CNX Immigration is saying that a single entry 90 day O-Visa can not be issued by them. This is the first step for retirement by extension. Pattaya and Phuket immigration has had this done to them and now CNX.

That is big news indeed. Yes, starting Oct 1, Jomtien no longer does conversions to O and are sending people to Bangkok for that. Of course people can still just go to Laos or Malaysia and get a single entry O achieving the same result.

I wonder what immigration is on about. Have many improper conversions from visa-exempt to 90-day non-imm Os been done in the past? Unless that's a problem, it seems odd to take away the ability of the Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai immigration offices to grant them.

Yeah, who knows exactly what's behind this seeming crackdown. I doubt the specific reasons will really be made public. In any case, getting an O visa in Thailand was kind of an odd thing, it being a visa and visas are normally obtained outside countries. But if your local office no longer does conversions to , the service (if you're eligible for the later retirement extension) is still available in Bangkok.

Edited by Jingthing

Do any of the Mods know if this is legit?

Is it from the same news source in Chiang Mai that claimed they were going to do away with Chang girls and that online workers could work on a tourist visa?

I only ask because stories from one particular news outlet in Chiang Mai I usually take with a very large pinch of salt!

• Like 1

In my house he would be sent to the naughty corner for such impertinence.

re

CityNews - Foreign residents of Thailand may in the future be able to do their 90-day reports at 7-Eleven stores, the chief of Chiang Mai's Immigration office said today.

may be in the future ! .. yeah right :(

and one day this pigs gonna fly !

dave2

post-42592-0-54684100-1414027152_thumb.j

post-42592-0-14113700-1414027180_thumb.j

• Like 2

Khwaibah -- were you there? Did you stay until the end?

CNX Immigration made no such claim that they can no longer issue a 90-day O visa as part of the "Two-step Conversion Process". There were several slides at the end of the presentation that specifically detailed how to convert a visa-exempt entry or change a visa (like a tourist visa) into a 90-day O visa and then return to obtain a retirement extension.

I translated their Thai slides into English, so I should know. The entire presentation will be on the website of the Chiang Mai Expats Club soon so you'll have a chance to see for yourself.

CNX Immigration made no such claim that they can no longer issue a 90-day O visa as part of the "Two-step Conversion Process". There were several slides at the end of the presentation that specifically detailed how to convert a visa-exempt entry or change a visa (like a tourist visa) into a 90-day O visa and then return to obtain a retirement extension.

I translated their Thai slides into English, so I should know. The entire presentation will be on the website of the Chiang Mai Expats Club soon so you'll have a chance to see for yourself.

It would be incredibly useful for you to post a link to that translated PPT when you are able. Thanks.

OK, I've read the article and I see where the confusion lies:

"Under the new rules, changing one's visa status for example, from a tourist visa to a retirement visa can no longer be done in one day. The process will now take up to 21 days.

Immigration officers encourage people who wish to change their visas to apply as soon as possible. If someone enters the country on a 30-day tourist visa, for example, they should apply for a new visa within nine days to ensure they can remain in the country legally."

Wow, this not accurate and I'm hoping we'll get the videotape on the website soon. You never could convert from a tourist visa to a retirement visa in one day in Chiang Mai. There is no such thing as a "30-day tourist visa" 30-day visa exempt, but not a 30-day tourist visa. What was said by the English translator is that you should apply for conversion to a 90-day O visa when you still have at least 21-days remaining on your 30-day visa exempt period. I want to hear that again in the video tape.

The format of the meeting was unique and not reported in the news article. Col. Rutjapong didn't say all the things attributed to him. Most of the presentation was by a senior official who spoke in Thai and presented PPT slides in Thai. Her words were then translated by a more junior official (and he added a few of his own, he hadn't written out his translation in advance) Her Thai PPT slides had been translated in advance (by me) and they'd had a chance to review that translation. Whenever there is confusion, the actual "law" is what the more senior official said in Thai and what was written in Thai. There was nothing on the slides about the conversion needing to be done when 21 days remained on a visa-exempt entry and I want to make sure the Thai official actually said those words, not just the junior official adding them on his own.

This is how this same news source created the flap about "Digital Nomads" being able to work here in CM with tourist visas after the August 20 press conference. Same junior officials who was doing translation speaking on his own -- not translating anything said by a more senior official.

Edited by NancyL

PlastikbinLina: This process has been described on TV many hundreds of times. You're a relative newcomer so check out the Visas Forum. You seem to be confused between a visa on arrival and a visa exempt entry. They are not the same. You can get up to speed on the terminology by Changing visa status

Under the new rules, changing one's visa status – for example, from a tourist visa to a retirement visa – can no longer be done in one day. The process will now take up to 21 days.

Immigration officers encourage people who wish to change their visas to apply as soon as possible. If someone enters the country on a 30-day tourist visa, for example, they should apply for a new visa within nine days to ensure they can remain in the country legally.checking the appropriate forum. I'm sure nobody want to rehash the details. smile.png

I suggest you take this up with City News as it from City News

"Changing visa status

Under the new rules, changing one's visa status – for example, from a tourist visa to a retirement visa – can no longer be done in one day. The process will now take up to 21 days.

Immigration officers encourage people who wish to change their visas to apply as soon as possible. If someone enters the country on a 30-day tourist visa, for example, they should apply for a new visa within nine days to ensure they can remain in the country legally."

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4557

"The process will now take up to 21 days". It does not take a translator or rocket scientist to figure out what going on.

OK, I've read the article and I see where the confusion lies:

"Under the new rules, changing one's visa status for example, from a tourist visa to a retirement visa can no longer be done in one day. The process will now take up to 21 days.

Wow, this not accurate and I'm hoping we'll get the videotape on the website soon. You never could convert from a tourist visa to a retirement visa in one day in Chiang Mai. There is no such thing as a "30-day tourist visa" 30-day visa exempt, but not a 30-day tourist visa. What was said by the English translator is that you should apply for conversion to a 90-day O visa when you still have at least 21-days remaining on your 30-day visa exempt period. I want to hear that again in the video tape.

The format of the meeting was unique and not reported in the news article. Col. Rutjapong didn't say all the things attributed to him. Most of the presentation was by a senior official who spoke in Thai and presented PPT slides in Thai. Her words were then translated by a more junior official (and he added a few of his own, he hadn't written out his translation in advance) Her Thai PPT slides had been translated in advance (by me) and they'd had a chance to review that translation. Whenever there is confusion, the actual "law" is what the more senior official said in Thai and what was written in Thai. There was nothing on the slides about the conversion needing to be done when 21 days remained on a visa-exempt entry and I want to make sure the Thai official actually said those words, not just the junior official adding them on his own.

This is how this same news source created the flap about "Digital Nomads" being able to work here in CM with tourist visas after the August 20 press conference. Same junior officials who was doing translation speaking on his own -- not translating anything said by a more senior official.

There is no 30 day tourist visa there is only a 30 day visa exempt.

• Like 1

I suggest you take this up with City News as it from City News

"Changing visa status

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4557

"The process will now take up to 21 days". It does not take a translator or rocket scientist to figure out what going on.

What do you think is going on?

My reading says CM is still doing CONVERSIONS from tourist visas or entry stamps to O visas (first step in two step process) and that you need to leave plenty of time on your initial stay (entry stamp or tourist visa) when going in for that first step (second step is the retirement extension). In many offices over the years, that is nothing new at all!

There is a more interesting item in the article which I find hard to believe.

Often there are a massive amount of "lost in translation" errors in press reports on visa changes.

Often the writers of such articles don't have a clue about visa details in the first place (not to mention the language issues), so you can't exactly be surprised.

They report

Applicants must have an income of 65,000 baht per month or have more than 800,000 baht in a single bank account over three months prior to application.

If true, that would be a big change. The part of about SINGLE BANK ACCOUNT. In other words, they are indicating that you can't combine two (or more) Thai bank accounts to meet the 800K rule (still must be seasoned). Never heard of such a rule at any office. I am skeptical this is real and if it is real I wonder if it is a national rule. Also they don't mention that first time retirement extensions actually require only TWO months seasoning. Again, I suspect a miscommunication on both details. If not, that would mean they are now saying it is three months for FIRST time retirement extensions.

Also there is no such as getting an O-A visa in Thailand. Never has been, isn't now.

Be wary of reports in the press here about visas. Also seek confirmation and clarification because frankly they print a lot of *$^#@$$.

Edited by Jingthing