Holiday tomorrow 23rd

After reading up on King Chulalongkorn, I think this current regime could take more than a page from his history. Interesting fellow. He was actually the student of Anna Leowen, the British teacher featured in Anna and the King. As an aside, Anna and the King was filmed in Penang because the Thai government at that time felt it was not historically accurate. NO WAY would a Thai King have an foreigner, woman to boot, teach a Prince! All celebrations for King Chulalongkorn!!!!

• Like 1

After reading up on King Chulalongkorn, I think this current regime could take more than a page from his history. Interesting fellow. He was actually the student of Anna Leowen, the British teacher featured in Anna and the King. As an aside, Anna and the King was filmed in Penang because the Thai government at that time felt it was not historically accurate. NO WAY would a Thai King have an foreigner, woman to boot, teach a Prince! All celebrations for King Chulalongkorn!!!!

I'm pretty sure the objection was not that a foreign woman taught a prince. It was that the movie suggested (?) that there was a more intimate relationship between a commoner (especially a foreign commoner) and a king. I haven't seen the movie (keep meaning to download it), but I believe there's a scene where they dance together, which old-fashioned Thais probably would regard as scandalous (if not blasphemous).

Yes, he was remarkable. Truly deserves the epithet, The Great. Although he was stymied by the regent, Somdej Surawong (another wholly remarkable man), when he was able to take control he completely reorganized the government structure, the judiciary, the education system, regulation of the religious institution, and the legal code. He was also lucky that there were several of his cousins and sons and nephews who were also very competent. If you can find a copy of Pasuk Phongpaichit and Chris Baker's "History of Thailand" it gives a lot more detail. Thailand was extremely lucky to have such a ruler at that particular time, although it's a shame he was completely opposed to democracy (thought "the people" weren't "ready" for it or some such).

Edited by Acharn