Musical instruments

slojamm

Hi all. I'm on a little driving trip around Issan. Currently in Mukdahan and heading to Surin next. I'm looking for a good quality electric pinh. Does anyone know of a decent shop anywhere in the region that sells quality instruments?

Cheers in advance for any help.

yes. i can give you a facebook pagte with some shop outside of korat city... we had an appointment but hubby cheaped out (didnt want to pay the price of one in the end so just has his acoustic one)... the guy is the son of a master phin player... he was very nice with me and with hubby (in thai) and i regret that we didnt go to see the place but getting out of hubby's village was also very difficult since we were car-less and reliant on 'pick up 'from friends etc...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ethengthai?fref=ts

its etheng thai... i had directiosn to his store but cant find them now... but u can get him on chat on facebook or phone; this is his message to me:

Hi,nice to see you massage.i live in Chaiyaphum province it so close with Korat you husband know where is it and my phone number is 0840554699.but for a phin you i have to take a month to make one so if you will be here in may you have order now. You can select which one you want on www.etheng.comHi,nice to see you massage.i live in Chaiyaphum province it so close with Korat you husband know where is it and my phone number is 0840554699.but for a phin you i have to take a month to make one so if you will be here in may you have order now. You can select which one you want on www.etheng.com

and then his next message when i queried him for directions:

บ้าน อ.โสโชค ม.12 ต.บ้านเขว้า อ.บ้านเขว้า ชัยภูมิ

Before you will come just call me 0840554699

and

https://www.facebook.com/#!/sochok.soonontad.3

sochok soonontad... he was in england for a while at oxford i think giving a semnar on issaan music or phin music or something... i cant read thai so could only follow bits and pieces on FB...

id be really excited to hear your impressions . do you know how to play? there are tons of youtube videos in thai for playing and hearing phin music.

let me know

bina

Hi Bina thanks for the detailed reply … much appreciated!

That's interesting , I already follow both those guys on Facebook and had sent the young guy a message thru the Etheng site but got no response.

He seems like the best though, I love the look of his instruments. I will chase him up using your contact details.

I have never played a phin other than a cheap one in a market. I have been a pro musician on guitar and keys and I reckon it would be fun to try and master the phin.