Large variety of Motorcycle Helmets to purchase?

burnalot

There is a bike accessories shop in the bottom floor of Pantip Plaza, its nearest the road that heads towards Gecho garden (High quality and high prices). There is also another shop past Gecho Garden opposite the book shop and he sells lots of helmets. The sister shop to that one is called Zeromet and is on Chiang Puak Rd (North Gate area).

There are a lot more shops selling helmets of varying quality and price and you will normally see their displays just off the footpath on the side of the road.

Name a brand and I`ll probably be able to give you a more precise location.

There is a bike accessories shop in the bottom floor of Pantip Plaza, its nearest the road that heads towards Gecho garden (High quality and high prices). There is also another shop past Gecho Garden opposite the book shop and he sells lots of helmets. The sister shop to that one is called Zeromet and is on Chiang Puak Rd (North Gate area).

There are a lot more shops selling helmets of varying quality and price and you will normally see their displays just off the footpath on the side of the road.

AWESOME man, I shall investigate!

Cheers

Cheers

Would very much appreciate your findings. I am really not that knowledgably but the wife just bought one for 450 baht and I am wondering if it is any good. Seems cheap to me.

Edit.

Her driving is strictly in town no high speed highway. I think she is afraid of it. I am not crazy enough to ask how ever.

Edited by northernjohn

Yes the guy across Suriwong Books is great to deal with & like

CMKiwi said his sister shop on ChangPuak is also well stocked.

In fact he will refer you there if they have something he does not.

But he does have an incredible selection in sizes,prices,brands

I dont think that Id be putting my head into a 450 baht shell.....its not really what Id call a helmet. Id guess it would have about (if not slightly more) as much protection than a 4 litre plastic ice-cream container on your head.

Even falling off a stationary bike, be it motorized or or not; ones head does not like making contact with hard things like kerbs, rocks or other vehicles. I always say buy the best helmet you can afford and still be damn careful out there.

I've been to a few of these places - The problem I find is they do not have a size big enough for my thick head sad.png

Zeromet has a pretty large selection of larger helmets

http://zeromet.tarad.com/?lang=en

That said I did by a Bilmola helmet for scooter riding in XL from the other shop across Suriwong

Would always recommend that guy first as he is so nice & makes deals too

But my main motorcycle helmet I shipped in from the US

There is also another shop on Ragang Road right after the intersection with Pracha Samphan

That sells LS2 brand & Shark I think

Edited by mania

I gave up on finding a good helmet that fits here in CM. I bought an HJC on eBay from a seller in LA. Price was US$104 + $40 shipping + $40 import duty. The sizing charts on the HJC web site are reliable and require only the measured circumference of your melon. Recommend doing this only if the seller ships using USPS. All the private shippers will do a walletectomy on you before releasing the parcel in Thailand.

I gave up on finding a good helmet that fits here in CM. I bought an HJC on eBay from a seller in LA. Price was US$104 + $40 shipping + $40 import duty. The sizing charts on the HJC web site are reliable and require only the measured circumference of your melon. Recommend doing this only if the seller ships using USPS. All the private shippers will do a walletectomy on you before releasing the parcel in Thailand.

Oh I wish I knew you wanted a HJC

That is one helmet that can actually be bought cheaper here

Places like Chang Moto in CM is excellent & They thru HJC have some incredible sales

Like the 14k RPHA10 signature helmets from HJC sometimes go down to 8k

https://www.facebook.com/changmoto

BTW Chang Moto is a very nice shop for better quality stuff

If I had seen the HJC sale I mentioned before I ordered my Scorpion Exo R2000 from the US

I could have saved a lot as Thai customs really killed me on that even using USPS

Edited by mania

Ive always found that you need to try helmets for a good fit. Not all heads are the same shape nor are helmets. What may fit well for you may cause headaches for others. Unless you have a legit make and model of helmet that you know fits, then buying via Internet can be a bit of a gamble. Its even sometimes hard to get 2 identically fitting helmets here. Possibly due to lack of QA during manufacturing or helmets of dubious origin. Just a thought. ...

Hmm.

This is turning out to be much more complicated than I had imagined!

In Canada, helmets have to be "CSA" approved.

That means EACH helmet is pounded by a machine X amount of times, before it gets sold to prove that it can withstand an accident.

I doubt very much that Thailand has any kind of "approval/testing" standard.

But maybe I am wrong?

Hmm.

That means EACH helmet is pounded by a machine X amount of times, before it gets sold to prove that it can withstand an accident.

But maybe I am wrong?

Actually Thailand does have their own Stamp of approval too called TIS

Most approval stamps such as DOT ( required by US laws )

& Snell ( More rigorous/stricter than DOT & used for sport/racing etc )

do not come by hitting a helmet X times but putting a weight in it & dropping it from a certain height to achieve X speed/G force onto a steel anvil to simulate an impact

Europe also has their own standard called ECE & is quite popular worldwide

Canada as you said has CSA, UK has ACU

It is likely any decent helmet you find here will have one of the above approvals if not

it must be a very cheap helmet.

Edited by mania

Many years ago I'd brought an HJC from the States, but it had seen a bit too much wear and tear over the years. Several months ago I bought a new HJC helmet from Paddock Motor Gear, a supplier in Bangkok. It took a few emails back and forth to settle on a model, color and size, but I received excellent service. In the process the first helmet I received (for about 6,000 baht) was too small. I contacted the store by phone, and they said they'd ship a larger one when they received the first one back...only seems appropriate. In the end I am pleased with my new helmet, and I highly recommend Paddock Motor Gear in Bangkok.

By the way, as others have stated, whether for yourself or someone you care about, buy the best helmet that you can afford. And then, of course, wear it 100% of the time while riding.

http://www.paddock.co.th/index.php

Hmm.

But maybe I am wrong?

BTW if you would like to check brands your looking at against Snell certification

their site has a very good data base of those approved.

http://www.smf.org/cert

Really though it should not be difficult to find a good helmet as their are tons in ChiangMai

Just realize you need to spend at least 2k baht

Brands like LS2/Bilmola etc. are not expensive & have ECE ratings etc

$60 USD is not much to spend for protection

Edited by mania

Hmm.

But maybe I am wrong?

BTW if you would like to check brands your looking at against Snell certification

Really though it should not be difficult to find a good helmet as their are tons in ChiangMai

I agree.... you can now get your hands on an older model LS2 trailbike/MX style helmet for just under 2000 baht. A helmet shop on Ragang Road has them.... unfortunately just M L and XL sizes at the moment. Im tempted to get another one as my first one was closer to 4000 baht.

Only fault Ive found with many a helmet is some of the glue around the rubber mouldings comes loose/unfixed. But I found in Chiang Mai plastics an adhesive called E2000....great industrial stuff.

Edited by CMKiwi

Dunno if it is still the case, though I would be interested in knowing. Around 7-8 years ago I discovered that the Shoei X11 helmet I ordered here (possibly from the Paddock shop mentioned in this thread) cost as much as it would have cost me to travel round-trip to Singapore, buy the helmet there (half price compared to Thailand), and spend a night at a budget hotel. And Singapore is a nice place to spend a day or two. First thing I did after getting the helmet, btw, was to remove all the stickers, so only an expert would see the difference between it, and any other random 1,000B medium-quality Thai helmet. Still have that helmet, though well overdue for a replacement of course.

Edited by Awk

• 7 months later...

This is the one roughly opposite Suriwong Books. http://www.helmet2home.com/.

Type "helmet2home, chiang mai" into Google maps and it will show you where it is.

I don't know how they got that many helmets in that small a space. I milled around for a good 15 min before someone helped me, ended up buying the Bilmola Advantage XXL (฿2100) and he threw in a couple bungee cords. It's still bit snug though.

Cheers

Would very much appreciate your findings. I am really not that knowledgably but the wife just bought one for 450 baht and I am wondering if it is any good. Seems cheap to me.

Edit.

Her driving is strictly in town no high speed highway. I think she is afraid of it. I am not crazy enough to ask how ever.

Might as well put a bucket on your head as use a cheap helmet.

I second the shop diagonally opposite Suriwong. It is just up from 7Eleven. I bought what I thought was a very good, safe helmet there for my wife.

Cheers

Edit.

a 450 Bath helmet is a piece of junk that would break like an egg upon impact. buy her a decent helmet if you care about the woman.

Always thought Helmet2Home was just a cheap junk helmet shop.

Went in there today and bought a decent AGV helmet for 9,900 baht - not the best, but decent Dot approved.

Chose this helmet because you can buy replacement foam inserts when these become rancid, as well as replacement visors. Also has flip down sun visor so I don't need to wear sunglasses underneath. It also fitted my melon better some the other helmets I tried on.

This is my "about town" helmet. I prefer my Shoei on longer and faster runs.

Thanks for the heads up on this shop.

Hmm.

But maybe I am wrong?

I agree.... you can now get your hands on an older model LS2 trailbike/MX style helmet for just under 2000 baht. A helmet shop on Ragang Road has them.... unfortunately just M L and XL sizes at the moment. Im tempted to get another one as my first one was closer to 4000 baht.

Only fault Ive found with many a helmet is some of the glue around the rubber mouldings comes loose/unfixed. But I found in Chiang Mai plastics an adhesive called E2000....great industrial stuff.

Had exactly the same problem with my carbon LS2, the rubber around the bottom seemed to shrink and just fall off.

I tried various glues, but had no permanent solution.

Funny thing was at Helmet2Home today, I picked up the LS2 and the rubber moulding fell off on a brand new helmet. I told him thats why I would not buy an LS2 again, but he said bring it in and he will repair it for me.

Has never happened on other helmets, just the LS2.