Cream bassist Jack Bruce dies, aged 71

Lite Beer

Cream bassist Jack Bruce dies, aged 71

Jack Bruce, bassist from 1960s band Cream, has died aged 71, his publicist confirms.

Legendary supergroup Cream, which also included Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, are now considered one of the most important bands in rock history.

They sold 35 million albums in just over two years and were given the first ever platinum disc for Wheels of Fire.

Bruce wrote and sang most of the songs, including "I Feel Free" and "Sunshine Of Your Love".

Born in the Glasgow suburb of Bishopbriggs in 1943, his parents travelled extensively in Canada and the USA and the young Jack attended 14 different schools.

He finished his formal education at Bellahouston Academy and the Royal Scottish Academy of Music, to which he won a scholarship for cello and composition.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-29772926

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-26

Jack Bruce, Cream bassist, dies at 71

London- Jack Bruce, the bassist of the 1960s British rock group Cream, died Saturday at the age of 71, his family said.

He, guitarist Eric Clapton and drummer Ginger Baker sold 35 million records in little more than two years as Cream and had such hits as I Feel Free, Sunshine of Your Love, White Room and Crossroads.

The cause of Bruce’s death was liver disease, the Press Association reported.

"The world of music will be a poorer place without him, but he lives on in his music and forever in our hearts," his family said on Bruce’s official website.

Blues-influenced Cream was considered to have been rock’s first "supergroup." It disbanded at the height of its success in November 1968.

The Scotland-born multi-instrumentalist then launched a solo career and released more than a dozen albums. The final one, Silver Rails, came out in March.

Cream’s 1968 Wheels of Fire earned the world’s first-ever platinum disc for a double album. In 2003, it was voted number 203 on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Cream was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Jack-Bruce-Cream-bassist-dies-at-71-30246264.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-26

In the 1970s Cream played in Miami Florida, I was working for the lighting company Cosmic Lighting and ran the main spot light, wonderful gig!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.

Second that, a truly great British musician. There is a track on youtube of him playing with Rory Gallagher worth watching.

Read in a UK obit that when in the early days of 'Cream', Clapton was described as just the guitarist.

Yeah... Politician... I prefer it over the original version.

In the 1970s Cream played in Miami Florida, I was working for the lighting company Cosmic Lighting and ran the main spot light, wonderful gig!

You sure it was Cream? The band broke up in 1968 and didn't perform together again until 1993.

• Like 1

No one brought a Gibson EB-3 bass to life better than Jack Bruce. I fondly remember watching the band receive their platinum records on stage from Robert Stigwood at New York's Madison Square Garden back in Novemeber 1968. $6.50 for a great loge seat.

RIP Mr. Bruce. I Feel Free.

• Like 1

My most vivid memory of him was standing next to the stage at the Filmore West in San Francisco when his face and cloths kept changing colors...not sure why that was happening...ha!. Made that bass sound more like a lead sometimes. One of the heros of our youth. Jam on Jack!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

RIP Jack Bruce.
Cream and White Room was a part of my drunken stoned early teenage years. Awesome music in a privileged time where musicians were exactly that and as Queen knew before video killed the radio star.

I agree with your sentiment, but what does Queen have to do with it?