Safely put deposit on Condo rental

JimmerJJ

I'm planning to rent a condo from the owner which I found on Craigslist where the owners agent had placed the rental ad. So I was shown the apartment by the owner and also the agent was there but it occurred to me that I don't know them from Adam and they could be anybody posing as an owner and agent. I read about a scam like this happening where somebody put money on a house and turned out it wasn't even the real owner. So maybe I'm being a little paranoid but I was wondering how this should be done. I'm planning to pay cash for the deposit and rent. Perhaps should pay with a Cashiers Check would be safer but it doesn't really verify anything except proof that someone was paid when they cash it. Can you get one without having a Thai bank account?

The agent gave me her card (I checked the website and it looks legit) and the owner (was there with his wife and child) and was very knowledgeable about the condo. They emailed me a sample of the contract to review. I'm pretty sure they are legit but to be on the safe side I'd like to be able to verify somehow. Perhaps sign the contract at the condo office?

Thanks all