Bangkok: Doctor of British woman who died in surgery clinic unlicensed

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for the testimony of all the "experts" who claim they had great treatment at this place.

The point is that with any medical service, you can't rely on the personal accounts of lay-people - they are no more than anecdotal.

it also underlines how easy it is in Thailand for "shonky" medical practices to thrive....surrogacy, fake stem cell, plastic surgery, organ smuggling...the list goes on

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

closed for 60 days after the owner, an unlicenced doctor operated there ilegally, should be closed permanently and be forced to pay out heaps but then the hi-so would lose too much money and face, that would simply be too much for a thai, after all, it was only another "farang"(sarcasm), Yet people wonder why this sort of sh*t keeps happening, simple answer, profits are more important than people

Looks as though you missed the part where it said he's being charged with criminal negligence in the girls death.

Charged - but as a mddle class Thai with "qualifications" - what do you think the sentence will be?

Less serious but I got a couple of laser tattoo removal sessions in Pattaya based clinic. Left me a bad scar due to too much power used. Also was ct-scanned for head trauma in Bkk Koh Chang clinic. Diagnosis: brain stroke and athrophy blink.png . Got seriously worried and went through complete magnetic scans and neurologic studies just to confirm nothing was wrong in the first place when I got back to my home country. Licenced docs or not but didn't leave me very confident I'd promote "medical tourism" for Europeans.

And at your travel insurance they choked when they got the bill, as this is what it was all about, greed and deception, another institutionalised fraud, prescribe totally un-necessary highly technical, overly expensive, tests, to con your insurance out of a lot of money. It's a well known problem in Thailand, and some other Third World countries, and also at the origin of the very high premiums we who stay here have to pay for our healthcare insurance. I'd say travel insurance companies should put Thailand on their list of excluded countries, then there would be an outcry from the highly profitable private hospitals, most of in the hands of a small number of wealthy 'hi-so''s, and maybe something would be done about the excesses (a bit, for some time?), because these vultures would have been hurt in the only thing they care about: their wallet!

Actually reputable insurance companies require approval BEFORE no-urgent tests are performed. These companies deal with hospitals every day, have nurses and doctors on staff and fully understand what is and isn't required.

I would go as far to say the insurance companies are worse than many Thai's - they are chasing the almighty dollar and will rip every health care facility off for every cent they can! The more they save the more they make...

Looks like road, train and boot accidents, double pricing, political unrest, frequently bombings in the south, killing of foreigners isn’t enough. So let numerous unlicensed “doctors” slaughter the holy cow medical tourism to scare tourists away and make them know all above mentioned starts with the people.

Edited by Lupatria

Doctor postpones hearing into cosmetic surgery death

informed police he couldn't give testimony yesterday afternoon because he was busy

Not 'I am sick with Ebola', not 'I had a car accident and I am in hospital', not 'the dog ate my homework', no this guy is 'too busy'...and the BiB let him...bah.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Less serious but I got a couple of laser tattoo removal sessions in Pattaya based clinic. Left me a bad scar due to too much power used. Also was ct-scanned for head trauma in Bkk Koh Chang clinic. Diagnosis: brain stroke and athrophy alt=blink.png> . Got seriously worried and went through complete magnetic scans and neurologic studies just to confirm nothing was wrong in the first place when I got back to my home country. Licenced docs or not but didn't leave me very confident I'd promote "medical tourism" for Europeans.

We have to realise that all medical facilities in Thailand are there to make money; nothing more, nothing less. Profit is the name of the game and I am sure we have all heard/read about unwarranted procedures being recommended and taking place. Why? Profit? What else? Personally I always get a second or third opinion, from outside Thailand, if I am advised that an operation is necessary.

"She died under anaesthesia after the doctor successfully removed the implants."

Holy crap what you are saying is the the operation was a success but she died anyway, from negligence. This is absolutely illogical reporting. Who said this ? The doctor ? The police ? Or wordsmith-ed by the reporter ? The poor woman is dead but somehow someone wants to put a positive spin on it. Anyone one want another example of Thainess ? Well here it is. Ignore the sad truth and put a rosy gloss on it, however serious.

closed for 60 days after the owner, an unlicenced doctor operated there ilegally, should be closed permanently and be forced to pay out heaps but then the hi-so would lose too much money and face, that would simply be too much for a thai, after all, it was only another "farang"(sarcasm), Yet people wonder why this sort of sh*t keeps happening, simple answer, profits are more important than people

I concur with all but it's a case of TIT and that they don't give a sh1t as long as they are making money.

Less serious but I got a couple of laser tattoo removal sessions in Pattaya based clinic. Left me a bad scar due to too much power used. Also was ct-scanned for head trauma in Bkk Koh Chang clinic. Diagnosis: brain stroke and athrophy blink.png . Got seriously worried and went through complete magnetic scans and neurologic studies just to confirm nothing was wrong in the first place when I got back to my home country. Licenced docs or not but didn't leave me very confident I'd promote "medical tourism" for Europeans.

And at your travel insurance they choked when they got the bill, as this is what it was all about, greed and deception, another institutionalised fraud, prescribe totally un-necessary highly technical, overly expensive, tests, to con your insurance out of a lot of money. It's a well known problem in Thailand, and some other Third World countries, and also at the origin of the very high premiums we who stay here have to pay for our healthcare insurance. I'd say travel insurance companies should put Thailand on their list of excluded countries, then there would be an outcry from the highly profitable private hospitals, most of in the hands of a small number of wealthy 'hi-so''s, and maybe something would be done about the excesses (a bit, for some time?), because these vultures would have been hurt in the only thing they care about: their wallet!

Actually reputable insurance companies require approval BEFORE no-urgent tests are performed. These companies deal with hospitals every day, have nurses and doctors on staff and fully understand what is and isn't required.

I would go as far to say the insurance companies are worse than many Thai's - they are chasing the almighty dollar and will rip every health care facility off for every cent they can! The more they save the more they make...

JCI!! - take a look at their operations!

Probably some Doctors are good, but difficult to identify them. Generally, I don't trust any doctor in Thailand to be frank. Also i don't meet a doctor until and unless it is necessary. They all wanted more and more patients for money. They feed all kind medicines and antibiotics to Patients for simple cough and cold which can disappear in a week naturally. If you have a child even be careful, if it is simple cold, cough, fever, meet the Doctors, buy subscribed medicines, but just wait for 3 days before start giving any medicines. Your child will be cured before that in most cases. Actually parents need treatment, not the child. Because parents are more impatient about their child's sickness. For small cases Thai doctors prescribe heavy doses of anti-biotic, so that they get permanent patients on regular basis, because your natural immune system and anti-body system is destroyed by antibiotics given by Doctors. Take children to Doctors only for vaccinations. Most importantly don't allow them to play in the hospital play area. They are the breeding grounds for all sorts of diseases. Also don't allow your child to touch the chairs and other things kept in hospitals, they are not hygienic, and get out of the hospitals as soon as possible if you have a child. Do you notice how Thai hospitals increases number of patients ?

Most hospitals set targets for Doctors to prescribe medicines, admit in beds for their revenue. If you check the same medicine sold by hospitals available for 30% of the cost outside, because you have an Insurance, you don't mind paying. Better be healthy, and follow the nature. You don't have to enhance your butt or breast and later die. Better be yourself and take care your health.

Many doctors in Thailand, are licensed through the hospital they work in!

Yeah, great standardization; it's bad enough when teachers' qualification standards are lacking, but doctors' qualifications???? No more than the standards for drivers, eh?

The obvious question would be....

How come there is no enforcement/checks for licenses on these types of businesses?

Seems much too much time is spent checking licenses at farang bars and businesses, (not to mention on the checks for a license to drive on the road) but nobody cares about checking something that would be a life or death situation, and cause such extreme loss of face, such as letting untrained doctors perform surgery.

Somebody needs to start spot checking these slaughter houses.

Edited by slipperylobster

OK, Just to clear a point up...unlicensed doesn't necessarily mean unqualified. After you have gained a medical or care related qualification, you then have to pay for a very expensive license which is simply a license to practise. No where in the article does it say he was 'unqualified' to carry out this procedure.

This is not a statement of his innocence or guilt, but legally he should have had a license to practise. There is always a risk with anaesthetics.

Problem with all these cases we read about on here is we hardly ever get any follow up !!

Shame for the young lady and her family but it says a lot about modern society when plastic surgery is so important, The number of thais i know who have loaned money or paid on credit card to have those ridiculous nose jobs is unbelievable. Sad.

On stories like this where real people have died, lets try to have a little decorum and less of the chest beating rhetoric. Thank you

• Like 2

Looks as though you missed the part where it said he's being charged with criminal negligence in the girls death.

Charged - but as a mddle class Thai with "qualifications" - what do you think the sentence will be?

Let's see if he actually gets prosecuted and appears in court. No doubt his lawyers will drag it out as long as possible hoping it dies down a bit,

Then he'll show lots of remorse, possibly make some merit etc.

After all that - maybe he'll get a bit of a slap on the wrist fine and a telling off.

I doubt he'll ever be banged up.

Doctor postpones hearing into cosmetic surgery death

The Nation

30246384-01_big.JPG

Dr Sompop Saensiri

BANGKOK: -- Dr Sompop Saensiri, the owner of a Bangkok cosmetic clinic, yesterday put off an appointment to testify to police about the death of a 24-year-old British woman under general anaesthesia during cosmetic surgery at his Lat Phrao clinic last week.

A lawyer representing the 51-year-old doctor informed police he couldn't give testimony yesterday afternoon because he was busy. Police planned to inform him of an additional charge of operating the clinic beyond an authorised time.

The doctor has been charged with reckless operation that resulted in the death of another, which he denied, insisting he treated the patient according to approved medical process. The doctor was granted bail on Friday and the Public Health Ministry has ordered his clinic to be shut down for 60 days .

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Doctor-postpones-hearing-into-cosmetic-surgery-dea-30246384.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-10-28

SERIOUSLY???

TOO BUSY......

This country is becoming a bigger joke by the day / hour / minute.....

My, aren't we judgmental. The doctor has yet to be convicted or the autopsy reports concluded. The permanent closure of the clinic and serious jail time and civil fine may be the correct end to this situation, but let the investigation continue instead of grabbing the rope and hanging them high.

The obvious question would be....

How come there is no enforcement/checks for licenses on these types of businesses?

Seems much too much time is spent checking licenses at farang bars and businesses, (not to mention on the checks for a license to drive on the road) but nobody cares about checking something that would be a life or death situation, and cause such extreme loss of face, such as letting untrained doctors perform surgery.

Somebody needs to start spot checking these slaughter houses.

It seems there is little enforcement of licensing laws as well as lax licensing standards for all types of activities in Thailand. However, anyone who has been here for any length of time should know that. Poor Brit tourist probably had no clue to be careful of unscrupulous medical treatment. Vanity and ignorance, a pitiful closure to anyone's life.

In Thailand you don't need to be a doctor to perform surgery, you have to have a certificate from

something like Chula that states you passed the plastic surgery course.

much like in the US where Doctor's Assistants are allowed to practice medicine and prescribe drugs

etc because it's all being done under the supervision of licensed MD.

In Thailand many of these surgeons, who are licensed to do what they do are not doing under

any supervision, the supervisor's are no where to be found, they just collect "royalties".

I've heard stories of people coming for lipo and dying because the surgeon took too much fat out

and put the patient in shock. Live and learn, next patient please! wai.gif

So, I have a question,

Why is it that anyone would go to a "clinic" for any surgery, cosmetic or not in a country where in real hospitals (private with 5-Star service) one can have the same things done? Or is it simply a matter of money. This brings up the old saying, "If you cannot afford it...." Out-patient surgery preformed in North America or in the EU is risky enough on any level (hence the form you are to fill out and sign beforehand) than to think that somehow it is not at least the same here in LOS. So do the research! Find out the coverage that the place has (hospitals included. Though you have a far better chance in a hospital as they have the facilities to handle any issues), and the history of doing whatever procedure you are planning.

But, what is this bit about having a bigger butt? I have trouble with women wanting breast implants as it is, but a bigger butt? What the &lt;deleted&gt;! Is it because the suspension system on your scooter is a bit hard? Come on!

This place should be closed for good and the doctor and his staff should be held accountable financially as well face real jail time. But we all know they will get off eventually. My heart goes out to the family, but it also should be a warning to us all that these places are not to be trusted with our very lives. You want something done... then go to a REAL hospital for God's sake!

i've worked in medical tourism before - i can tell you some horrific stories about what goes on here in Thailand.
seriously people should think long and hard before they risk going under a general anaesthetic in a clinic, at the very least a hospital should be chosen.
One of the most important aspects before having surgery is to know WHO the anaesthetist is as they play a vital role in keeping the patient alive during surgery.
However they dont come cheap, and its the doctors job to pay them a % of the surgery cost.
Normally doctors in Thailand can rent a private hospital room, and an anaesthetist that works in the hospital - but its costs money.
So for the doctors to make more money they open clinics and hire their own staff - more than likely they never had an one or he was doing it himself.

Major surgery even at home has so many risks and complications that can happen, doing it abroad whilst on holiday where no one has a clue about your past medical history needs to be considered long and hard.

• Like 1

Many doctors in Thailand, are licensed through the hospital they work in!

But this guy was the owner of the clinic!!

So he licensed himself??

All about making a quick buck, patients merely considered an " inconvenience"!!

And his punishment will be?? Yes you guessed it: Nothing!!

Why would you think something so bizarre? He's obviously licenced by the medical authorities.

Interesting how you seem to have some advance information on his guilt, or otherwise, and the punishment also

Try to read the headline!! Unlicensed

Operating on someone without a license, the patient dies, makes him guilty in my book.

Been here long enough to know, that a wellconnected guy like him will walk!!

More questions??coffee1.gif

And, if it was the anesthesia and not the surgery which killed her . . .?

in some developed countries there are turf wars between licensed docs from different specialities. oral surgeons do facial plastic surgery as do plastic surgeons usually the plastic surgeons dont like the competition. some ent surgeons also do plastic surgery and upset the plastic "little gods" surgeons. there exist another group of licensed docs that undergo specific procedure specific training in some cosmetic procedures and can be competent in performing them, another irritation to plastic surgeons. before plastics became prestigious and money making it was filled with those that got rejected/ kicked out from other training programs in surgery.

capable anesthesia support is extremely important no matter how good(bad) the surgeon may be. staff ready to resuscitate is also essential. given much of medical office staff i have seen in thailand they very well may be non medical background people used as they are cheaper to employ in thie case of this doctor its important to know about the anesthesia specific personell and their capabilities. given the laxity of society i wouldn't expect to see any miracles.

in this doctors case it seems former patients have had recurrent problems with him and even made web pages. a red flag

Edited by atyclb