Prime Minister Prayut worried by economic slowdown

webfact

Lack of experience in Economics comes to mind as being a man in the Military all his life.

Lack of communication due to heavy censorship. Networking in Business is most important,.

Tourism is a major economic income for Thailand and has been blemished with recent events.

Comfortable and Confidence has hit Teflon Thailand very hard now afte 8 years of Political unrest.

I could continue but i really dont think the Thai people will understand.

Economics is not his field--he will have an economist to take care of that-----are you not aware of how all countries work ?? do you think the man is transport --water--highways--foreign affairs--power What are you on about.???

the rest is a newbie with a similar rhetoric to add to the others.

" Economics is not his field--he will have an economist to take care of that..." blink.png

Anytime soon?

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

He shoot's from the hip everyday.

Now, his handlers have said, because he keeps putting his foot in his mouth, they do their best to keep him away from the Press.

No plan.

I reason propaganda post--anti PM.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of experience in Economics comes to mind as being a man in the Military all his life.

Lack of communication due to heavy censorship. Networking in Business is most important,.

Tourism is a major economic income for Thailand and has been blemished with recent events.

Comfortable and Confidence has hit Teflon Thailand very hard now afte 8 years of Political unrest.

Economics is not his field--he will have an economist to take care of that-----are you not aware of how all countries work ?? do you think the man is transport --water--highways--foreign affairs--power What are you on about.???

Spot on!! Well that would be the case in any democratic country, but your generals advisors are guys he brought with him from the army!!

So a little like a blind man using a blind dog to lead him!!whistling.gif

How do you know who and what advisors he got and from where -I do know there are an awful lot of top not army advisors as All government s have to have.

So much for your insider knowledge of advisors.

• Like 1

I'm confused I thought everything was hunky dory and everybody was satisfied with the government. Surely they can't be if there is an economic slowdown (if they are saying "slowdown" should we substitute in the word "breakdown"?) 3% dissatisfaction is a very understanding populous?

Did you see this in the OP?

"Gen Prayut said at Government House today that an economic downturn is possible next year, meaning that the purchasing power of other countries would be weaker."

Obviously and clear for all to read the PM refers to slowdown outside Thailand effecting the economy in Thailand.

Many PM's worry about such things in relation to their country. Seems to come with the job. That's why some countries appoint a PM as no one in his/her right mind wants the job unless there's at least a shade of cooperation rolleyes.gif

I do hope you haven't gone completely off the reservation and are suggesting an appointed PM, rubl, because that's what I'm getting from your usual "I won't come out and say it but this is code for what I really think" prose.

Not at all my dear chap. I'm just commenting on how PM's who's country and economy depend on the outside world will always have something to worry about. It's not as if sending some gunboats to shoot a few natives to solve a problem is still as acceptable as when Britannica Ruled the Waves.

Maybe the following can kick start the economy: Change the protectionist rules against foreign investment, let the investors own 100% of their companies without need of BOI deals and change the silly work permit rules, lower the corporate taxes to the lowest in the region, lower the import duties to max 10%, lover the VAT, start today to build new a new Railway system and repair all the damaged highways, remove the censure of the media and change the whole police force and clean up the custom department.

" Economics is not his field--he will have an economist to take care of that..." blink.png

Anytime soon?

Now, his handlers have said, because he keeps putting his foot in his mouth, they do their best to keep him away from the Press.

No plan.

Not at all, Myopic One.

Not "Thai bashing" either.

Simply criticizing incompetance.

I'd do it anywhere I lived.

thumbsup.gif

Maybe the following can kick start the economy: Change the protectionist rules against foreign investment, let the investors own 100% of their companies without need of BOI deals and change the silly work permit rules, lower the corporate taxes to the lowest in the region, lower the import duties to max 10%, lover the VAT, start today to build new a new Railway system and repair all the damaged highways, remove the censure of the media and change the whole police force and clean up the custom department.

Never happen. What many fail to realise is that it is the mindset diametrically opposed to all your sensible suggestions that have, and will continue to, keep this country Third World. They simply can't help themselves. Muppets.

China rebalancing, Europe and Japan teetering on permanent recession or worse, the backlog of a massive borrow and splurge program by the previous government, and an enormous local asset price bubble about to run out of steam.

How could he be anything but pessimistic? I'm no fan of Prayut, but it's hardly his fault and at least he's being honest.

Methinks that the good general is a newbie to transport-highways-waterways-foreign affairs ets...thrust upon him by being at the right place in the wrong time by circumstances, fate and higher powers.

China rebalancing, Europe and Japan teetering on permanent recession or worse, the backlog of a massive borrow and splurge program by the previous government, and an enormous local asset price bubble about to run out of steam.

How could he be anything but pessimistic? I'm no fan of Prayut, but it's hardly his fault and at least he's being honest.

Fair enough!!

But then instead of surrounding himself with old classmates, who are as clueless as himself, why not bring in some experts in various fields. In the name of reconciliation pick a couple of ministers from the yellows like Korn (finance) and Surin (foreign). And a couple of guys from the red camp, sorry but I can't think of any names, but sure there are some capable persons amongst them.

That will buy him time and make the government more legit, and hopefully move Thailand forward!

Fair enough!!

But then instead of surrounding himself with old classmates, who are as clueless as himself, why not bring in some experts in various fields. In the name of reconciliation pick a couple of ministers from the yellows like Korn (finance) and Surin (foreign). And a couple of guys from the red camp, sorry but I can't think of any names, but sure there are some capable persons amongst them.

That will buy him time and make the government more legit, and hopefully move Thailand forward!

'more legit'? Although it might make sense, I'm afraid that's wishful thinking. If having effect at all it will be negative as it will confirm (some) people's opinion about 'NCPO/NLA/NRC/CDC/PDRC/yellows/Amart' sad.png

Fair enough!!

'more legit'? Although it might make sense, I'm afraid that's wishful thinking. If having effect at all it will be negative as it will confirm (some) people's opinion about 'NCPO/NLA/NRC/CDC/PDRC/yellows/Amart' sad.png

I guess, you missed the part of my post saying: "And a couple of guys from the red camp"

Fair enough!!

That would be like a coalition government - where people are given responsibilities based on their skill, knowledge and talent. (Remembering Yingluck insisting she did that every time her brother re-shuffled the cabinet and brought more of his old mates in?).

Well, this is sort of similar. Just a different network. Add to that the propensity for not forward thinking or planning, ignoring things hoping they'll go away, leaving everything to the last minute and a total disregard for timeliness. Same same but different.

The global signs ain't looking good - wars, terrorists, economic recessions, possible bank defaults (again) etc. Thailand can plan and prepare, but really ain't going to influence things much.

They should be building the best team - to handle the effects of things beyond their control and try to drive Thailand forward.

Do you see that ever happening? One picks his old military buddies, the other his family, in-laws and trusted henchmen.

• Like 1

Fair enough!!

That would be like a coalition government - where people are given responsibilities based on their skill, knowledge and talent. (Remembering Yingluck insisting she did that every time her brother re-shuffled the cabinet and brought more of his old mates in?).

Well, this is sort of similar. Just a different network. Add to that the propensity for not forward thinking or planning, ignoring things hoping they'll go away, leaving everything to the last minute and a total disregard for timeliness. Same same but different.

The global signs ain't looking good - wars, terrorists, economic recessions, possible bank defaults (again) etc. Thailand can plan and prepare, but really ain't going to influence things much.

They should be building the best team - to handle the effects of things beyond their control and try to drive Thailand forward.

Do you see that ever happening? One picks his old military buddies, the other his family, in-laws and trusted henchmen.

Second last sentence: That was the point of my post!

Last sentence: NO, Sadly enough!!

Fair enough!!

I guess, you missed the part of my post saying: "And a couple of guys from the red camp"

I didn't miss that, neither did I miss the remarks of Dr. weng on 'how much' he'd really like to cooperate, or the Pheu Thai statement of non-obstructing by non-cooperating. The same goes for 'yellow camp' people, or at least PDRC which also indicated reluctance to be directly involved although they at least have no problem to offer input.

All in all please find me a few good people who are non-aligned, preferably Thai.

Edited by rubl

Anytime soon?

No plan.

Not at all, Myopic One.

Not "Thai bashing" either.

Simply criticizing incompetance.

I'd do it anywhere I lived.

thumbsup.gif

Did you criticize the last 3 years ??? just to back up your (bit about incompetence ) ??

Just interested, as I will criticize in time if the PM fails in his task. I do not want to do it now as it is too early for many results to emerge, but some TVF posers will not give him that chance.

Methinks that the good general is a newbie to transport-highways-waterways-foreign affairs ets...thrust upon him by being at the right place in the wrong time by circumstances, fate and higher powers.

Me thinks he is, but far far more experienced than Yingluck could ever be and he is present at meetings ?? she was 50 trips in 3 years shopping etc.

Well at least he has the sense to be worried and may be will get some brains together

!to work out what to do to minimize damage. The fact he doesn't know what to do about it personally is not the point. Every leader needs to have capable people around him or her and the time is fast approaching where we will find out how capable his colleagues are. Personally I don't hold out much hope as there are not so many people who are able to serve the government who would be capable at world economics etc., but a few old hands would be well advised to at least bring a semblance that the rudder is being held.

Me thinks he is, but far far more experienced than Yingluck could ever be and he is present at meetings ?? she was 50 trips in 3 years shopping etc.

But Yingluck had an experienced brother to whisper in her ear, but the good general has nobody but unexperienced soldiers who only know how shine their shoes.

• Like 1

Prime Minister Prayut Cha-o-cha admitted he is worried by the projected economic slowdown next year,

Perhaps his surname was an evil omen for what would happen to the economy in the future. ..... cha o cha.

Now if the coup had been led by General Somchai Rew Rew things might look a bit healthier. Such is life.

Before the coup, Abhisit and the Democrats warned that if the last governments 2 trillion baht bill was passed :

Former Democrat Party MP Wiratana Kalayasiri, a party legal adviser who lodged a petition against the bill with the charter court, said that he would pursue the impeachment of Yingluck and her Cabinet. He thanked the judiciary for foreseeing the bad effects that would have been brought by the bill, and saving Thailand from being indebted with loans for 50 years or longer.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Bt2-tn-loan-bill-rejected-30229085.html

And yet, the new government decided to go one better and had its 2.57 trillion budget pass the NLA back in August without any challenge from anybody and only 3 abstentions.

No doubt , Democrat MP Wiratand Kalayasin and the rest of his party must have been mortified but somehow have either done a complete 180 in their opinion or just havn't got the bottle to say anything.

• Like 1

"Gen Prayut said at Government House today that an economic downturn is possible next year, meaning that the purchasing power of other countries would be weaker."

Obviously and clear for all to read the PM refers to slowdown outside Thailand effecting the economy in Thailand.

Many PM's worry about such things in relation to their country. Seems to come with the job. That's why some countries appoint a PM as no one in his/her right mind wants the job unless there's at least a shade of cooperation rolleyes.gif

I do hope you haven't gone completely off the reservation and are suggesting an appointed PM, rubl, because that's what I'm getting from your usual "I won't come out and say it but this is code for what I really think" prose.

Not at all my dear chap. I'm just commenting on how PM's who's country and economy depend on the outside world will always have something to worry about. It's not as if sending some gunboats to shoot a few natives to solve a problem is still as acceptable as when Britannica Ruled the Waves.

So why mention a lack of "cooperation"? Indeed why mention gunboat diplomacy and Britannia ruling the waves? Didn't the dutch have an empire once, and slaves and all that which goes with it, not that it's of any relevance to the OP but since you brought it up..................coffee1.gif

So why mention a lack of "cooperation"? Indeed why mention gunboat diplomacy and Britannia ruling the waves? Didn't the dutch have an empire once, and slaves and all that which goes with it, not that it's of any relevance to the OP but since you brought it up..................coffee1.gif

So, why did I mention 'worry' in relation to PM's ?

Oh, that's part of the OP. Wouldn't 'lack of cooperation' worry any PM? Wouldn't any worrying PM envy the 'freedom' his fellow PMs had hardly a century ago?

As for the Dutch, well, most had been taken over by those 'perfide' English. Things went really downhill when we allowed William of O. to go gallivanting across the seas rolleyes.gif Mind you the Dutch didn't have a PM in those days wink.png

Never happen. What many fail to realise is that it is the mindset diametrically opposed to all your sensible suggestions that have, and will continue to, keep this country Third World. They simply can't help themselves. Muppets.

Sadly you are correct, they (the ruling elite) will just not change their way of thinking. But at the end of the day it's up to them, if they want to stay in the bottom league forever or develop.

It was all good until the cut taxes but rebuild the infrastructure. Barely anyone pays income tax now, and they have a fiscal deficit.

The govt would go bust.

It was all good until the cut taxes but rebuild the infrastructure. Barely anyone pays income tax now, and they have a fiscal deficit.

The govt would go bust.

China will lend them money with their new "Asian bank" for the railway system. If the import taxes and VAT are to high, it does not make it very interesting to invest here. Even Laos got a better system for investors, there you can own your business 100% if you invest 100.000 US$ and import duties for all material and machinery you need for your business is only 1% and no silly rules for work permits like in Thailand.

So the P.M. should be worried, the only country that is finding it's feet is the US, coming from nearly 10% unemployment to down to 5% and the OZ going up to 6.2% from 4.8% and rising, only thing about OZ is you can't believe the figures as they regard 15 hrs a week as full time (The feel good calculus,Thailand is not the only one who fiddles the books), China is slowing down (If you can believe them ) to 8% growth, Euro is still dead in the water, looking at the current trend , everything is going down slowly , so the good P.M. will just have to wait and see what the world brings next year, like Xmas presents it generally is a mixed bag and for the old Thai battler, nothing will change.coffee1.gif