Becoming Legal Father - Know WHAT's required but not HOW to go about it?

Peter1234567

I have read the very detailed report on this forum stating what is required to become the legal father of a child but it does not say how this is achieved.

I went to the amphur office where my son is registered along with my partner (unmarried) and they said they couldn't do it due to not being married - this is of course nonsense - although my son is only 2 I was hooping to get lucky but they said they wouldn't so it at any age????

OK so you have to petition the court, I want to do this by myself as I don't want to waste money on a lawyer. Permission of my partner is no issue, just simply not married.

I would like to know:

Are there any forms to fill in?

What do I say/ask and to whom to get the ball rolling?

Can I just walk in to a family court and state what I want and they will tell me the process and give me the relevant documents to fill in and submit?

Thanks

Moved to family and children forum.

They do it at age 6 or above, the younger than that are real exceptions normally made in the boondocks where everybody knows eachother.

You can do it yourself, if your Thai is good enough. In That case I would first have a talk with the court clerk, some will be very helpfull others will tell you to get a lawyer. A lawyer is strictly spaking not needed.

You have to apply at the family court for the area where your child is registered on the hosuehold registration.

Moved to family and children forum.

They do it at age 6 or above, the younger than that are real exceptions normally made in the boondocks where everybody knows eachother.

You can do it yourself, if your Thai is good enough. In That case I would first have a talk with the court clerk, some will be very helpfull others will tell you to get a lawyer. A lawyer is strictly spaking not needed.

You have to apply at the family court for the area where your child is registered on the hosuehold registration.

Thanks very much, I know what the first step is now!

How can I go about finding the family court for the region I am in - is there only 1 in every province? We're in Chiang Mai, is there a list online of all the addresses or is that too much to ask in Thailand lol!

Sorry I'm confused rolleyes.gif

Is this for a child who has a Thai father and the OP wants to now register the child as he's now the step father , or the OP has had the child with the Thai mother and now wants to register the child as his own ?

Is this for a child who has a Thai father and the OP wants to now register the child as he's now the step father , or the OP has had the child with the Thai mother and now wants to register the child as his own ?

OP said "my son". One can't "register" as stepfather of somebody else's son.

• Like 1

I thought that if you had a child born to a Thai mother and the father was a foreigner , it was just a matter of having the foreign fathers name put on the childs birth certificate at birth , the foreigner was then registered as the child's legal father , or have I got it wrong?

I thought that if you had a child born to a Thai mother and the father was a foreigner , it was just a matter of having the foreign fathers name put on the childs birth certificate at birth , the foreigner was then registered as the child's legal father , or have I got it wrong?

Wrong. See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father

i went through the same process peter, its not easy to get pass the first stage, and that is you need the registrar at the amphur to give you permission, to put in the application. to the court.

if the mother agrees like mine did. its such an easy process, but highly respected after. from the court system. child protection unit first. ,as you would expect. answer --question. very respectful people but do there job well.

back to the registrar. -- i tried three times, to get him to give me the written authorisation to enter the court system, as a unmarried father, he would not, i had to get lawyers from bangkok, to come down twice. south 450km, eventually case law , showed him the way forward, and he got it done.

you will need help i feel, its possibly like me , the one you cannot afford to lose, my thoughts get help, and achieve your goal, you cant put a price on that. best wishes.

No, its the OP who's got it all wrong. Unbelievable! The Russians have really got their acts together, in the LOScoffee1.gif

Wrong. See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I'm in a similar situation and had my court hearing last week.

I couldn't attend (lawyer said that would be no problem without me as the mother, who gave her consent to get full custody would have gone there anyway).

Unfortunately my lawyer managed to made a total mess and apparently i was even asked to provide a work permit on that date (which i don't have) and that I had to attend the hearing.

My next court hearing is now on December 1st but I currently have no lawyer since he was clearly unable to do the job.

I should really have no problems I guess, but I'm running out of time. This is my current condition:

I work oversea but I spend most of my time in Thailand with my 2 young kids (5 and 2).

I own a property on my name where I live with my kids and my partner (their mom)

I support them financially and pay for their education (international school)

I've been living with their mom for the last 7-8 years and can easily provide evidence of it.

Can anyone help me out and pass me a reliable lawyer contact based in Bangkok ?

Thanks in advance