Ebola quarantine test looms in US

webfact

Ebola quarantine test looms in US

(BBC) A nurse who cared for Ebola patients in Sierra Leone is fighting the US state of Maine over its right to quarantine her against her will.

In a test case for returning US health workers, Kaci Hickox has vowed to leave her home on Thursday if the state does not lift the restrictions.

President Barack Obama has been sharply critical of isolation being forced on people he says are "American heroes".

Almost 5,000 people have died from the Ebola virus, mostly in West Africa.

On Thursday, US Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power is expected to call for a stronger international response when she meets EU officials in Brussels.

She has been visiting the countries most affected - Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Ghana - to show US support.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29828665

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-30

Stupid...no state should be allowed to detain you for 21 days without a court order...

As usual breathless hysteria and overkill....using fear to control the population and then cracking a nut with a sledgehammer....like the cops pumping 46 bullets into the guy with a penknife...well he might have been dangerous.

Ridiculous....it's like avian flu, followed by H5N or whatever it was...scaremongering.

Obama sure is taking a lot of heat for whatever he does or doesn't do. I hope everybody will be just as quick to praise his decisions after this mess blows over and the homeland casualty count remains at... let's see 4500 times... carry the 3... oh yes: ZERO.

• Like 1

Stupid...no state should be allowed to detain you for 21 days without a court order...

As usual breathless hysteria and overkill....using fear to control the population and then cracking a nut with a sledgehammer....like the cops pumping 46 bullets into the guy with a penknife...well he might have been dangerous.

Ridiculous....it's like avian flu, followed by H5N or whatever it was...scaremongering.

FOCUS.

Your bouncing all over the place with that post.

I would offer you a hypothetical scenario but I am not sure you would be able to comprehend it in your current frame of mind.

Nurse Ratched / Hickox... could be confined by law - if rampant political correctness which is also spreading does not get in the way ... She could be found guilty of failure to comply with Public Health Laws of the State of Maine... relative to the right to the state to confine and isolate anyone suspected of carrying a deadly communicable disease. Such public health laws have been on the books in every state for nearly a hundred years dating back before Typhoid Mary... She could be charge with failure to comply when a court issues a compliance order based on those laws ... One is just not allowed to go about potentially endangering others.

These laws in every state authorize the issuance of a warrant for arrest. This was done in Dallas only a few weeks ago when a homeless guy who had been exposed to Mr. Duncan in the ambulance and later disappeared. The Public Health Warrant was Issued - he was found - he was arrested - he was confined and isolated.

Sorry that so many people have no idea about Public Health Law....

Back in the day when working for the Texas Department of Health I served an Arrest Warrant on a fellow in Dallas who was knowingly spreading syphilis to others ... He was taken into custody - given a choice of taking treatment or go to county jail - he took treatment and didn't skip any..

• Like 1

Nurse Ratched / Hickox... could be confined by law - if rampant political correctness which is also spreading does not get in the way ... She could be found guilty of failure to comply with Public Health Laws of the State of Maine... relative to the right to the state to confine and isolate anyone suspected of carrying a deadly communicable disease. Such public health laws have been on the books in every state for nearly a hundred years dating back before Typhoid Mary... She could be charge with failure to comply when a court issues a compliance order based on those laws ... One is just not allowed to go about potentially endangering others.

These laws in every state authorize the issuance of a warrant for arrest. This was done in Dallas only a few weeks ago when a homeless guy who had been exposed to Mr. Duncan in the ambulance and later disappeared. The Public Health Warrant was Issued - he was found - he was arrested - he was confined and isolated.

Back in the day when working for the Texas Department of Health I served an Arrest Warrant on a fellow in Dallas who was knowingly spreading syphilis to others ... He was taken into custody - given a choice of taking treatment or go to county jail - he took treatment and didn't skip any..

Unfortunately, Maine's governor appears to be a wuss.

Unfortunately, Maine's governor appears to be a wuss.

As I suspected "if rampant political correctness which is also spreading does not get in the way"

The Governor has caught the disease called "Line in the Sand --- that Red Line" drawn by obama... don't cross it ... or or or ... I'll go play golf... and Unfriend you on my FB page...

Edited by JDGRUEN

Well that international tourist destination North Korea is not admitting any one to the country who may have had or has had any contact at all with any region, area ,person or things where Ebola might be present,.w00t.gif

Panic has swept through North Korea as they watched their thriving tourist industry killed off.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Good enough for America so North Korea proves yet again its superiority over the rest of the worldcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by siampolee

No matter where she goes and what she does, she will be forever "Ebola Nurse." Serves her right.

This! Most will look down on her or have a negative view if her professionally and as a person. While I do agree that she perhaps poses no risk, screw this selfish POS.

• Like 2

WHO - the World Health Organization has published that information as to when an Ebola Epidemic is over .... try google

And - travel bans are only a partial answer -- stopping issuance of Visas to residence of Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia would be an excellent way to begin to get a handle on controlling Ebola occurrence in the USA

Edited by JDGRUEN

Well according to another poster I can't be trusted to interpret search engine results. Perhaps you know him:

your posts make little sense except for a feeble attempts to turn tables around and you stumble over the table legs a lot... all the while you are trying to be erudite but have to go look it up on google to know what it means.

I want to hear from the posters who are in favor of the bans - posters who seem to be a bottomless pit of strong opinions at all other times but when an opinion is asked, I'm suddenly referred over to the WHO. I'll take that to mean you have no opinion and are deferring to the experts.

Edited by attrayant

If the question is "what's your opinion", the answer cannot be "try Google". It just can't. If you don't understand that, then I don't know how to make it any simpler.

Now if your opinion is the same as that of the authority you're referring me to, then just come out and say it without the double-talk. Try it, it's easy: "I agree with the WHO on when to declare an epidemic at an end and lift a travel ban."

See how easy that was?

Edited by attrayant

JDOOGLE... for those who have not learned how to use google... I have posted these and several other WHO links in the various Ebola threads at least 3-4 times now....

World Health Organization - WHO ...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/14-october-2014/en/

How does WHO declare the end of an Ebola outbreak? Incubation period

The period of 42 days, with active case-finding in place, is twice the maximum incubation period for Ebola virus disease and is considered by WHO as sufficient to generate confidence in a declaration that an Ebola outbreak has ended.

Recent studies conducted in West Africa have demonstrated that 95% of confirmed cases have an incubation period in the range of 1 to 21 days; 98% have an incubation period that falls within the 1 to 42 day interval.

WHO is therefore confident that detection of no new cases, with active surveillance in place, throughout this 42-day period means that an Ebola outbreak is indeed over.

Overall WHO site

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/en/

• Like 1