Indian Watch Hawkers

fey

How do you deal wigh these annoying and persistant indian fake watch hawkers in Bangkok?

Recently moved here from upcountry and can't seem to get rid of these guys who moto up just for me at street stalls and nag me while having a beer or while eating. They just won't go away even after repeated no's.

There must be some cultural clue I'm missing where a no is not serious enough.

Started cussing at one tonight and he got the clue, but I can't do this each time in front of the Thai's.

• Like 1

Jeez, where are you drinking, never met an Indian watch hawker in Bkk.

There must be some cultural clue I'm missing where a no is not serious enough.

You are, ask your mrs to tell you the story about the Indian and the snake.

Started cussing at one tonight and he got the clue, but I can't do this each time in front of the Thai's.

Why not? the Thais dont take shyt off these guys, why should you?

If it makes you feel better, cuss them out in Thai.

Say no once, then ignore them completely. They soon go away.

proceeds to start laying out watches on table after the first no. explains the watches and wants to try one on my wrist.

???

if i simply do nothing, they will eventually leave. but this does not make for a great dining experience. I'm sometimes not in the mood.

there is something missing here. several just don't seem to understand the 'no' response. had just a blank look. indians must have some other way of communicating 'get lost'. i think 'no' is a form of negotiation is some cultures like saying i want a lower price.

Edited by fey

^^^^^,

Jesus H are you for real, next time an Indian comes up, pick up the watch and throw it across the soi, they pretty soon get the message.

Notice you have failed to answer, where does this take place?

Learn Thai for, ork bai hut.

It's near Asoke/Sukhumvit. But they are all around the Nana area, all over.

Throwing something across the Soi, or raising my voice would sure be a loss of face.

Cussing without getting angry seemed to work, but still caused a stir from those who heard it.

If we were in New York I could take care of the problem. I'm trying to do this in a culturally sensitive way to avoid loss of face, but not sure how a Thai would handle it. They don't bother the Thai's with this watch stuff so I can't observe.

No does not work. Something about that you don't understand? Like I said they stand there and talk and begin to lay out products. How do you handle it without touching them or appearing angry and without ruining your meal dealing with it? Sit inside?

Edited by fey

Does it matter? These guys are a pretty commonplace sight.

I guess only if you hang around in lower sukhumvit in the sleazy / touristy areas as I've never seen an Indian watch salesman hawking in the street in BKK

You're from New York and you can't brush off a street hawker?

I thought anyone who'd lived in a big city would be able to deal with these guys. Just give it the 'not interested' attitude.

i guess i will repeat myself again, just in case you did not, or don't want to. get it the first few times.

'not interested' does not work. see above for further explanation.

Edited by fey

Maybe the fact you keep repeating yourself to them is the problem. Just ignore them. Anything else will just encourage them.

Correct, the only way to deal with these guys anywhere is to just totally ignor them, no eye contact and no verbal exchange. It's just one of those things you need to get used to doing and it will soon become natural. You simply need to learn to tune them out.

• Like 1

I ignore them, or wave them away and it usually works, However if I'm in a less than good mood, I might throw in a "polite" <deleted> off as well! whistling.gif Same goes for the cloth sellers who try to grab my hand!

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 1

^^^^^,

Jesus H are you for real, next time an Indian comes up, pick up the watch and throw it across the soi, they pretty soon get the message.

Learn Thai for, ork bai hut.

It's near Asoke/Sukhumvit. But they are all around the Nana area, all over.

Throwing something across the Soi, or raising my voice would sure be a loss of face.

Cussing without getting angry seemed to work, but still caused a stir from those who heard it.

If we were in New York I could take care of the problem. I'm trying to do this in a culturally sensitive way to avoid loss of face, but not sure how a Thai would handle it. They don't bother the Thai's with this watch stuff so I can't observe.

No does not work. Something about that you don't understand? Like I said they stand there and talk and begin to lay out products. How do you handle it without touching them or appearing angry and without ruining your meal dealing with it? Sit inside?

I'm trying to do this in a culturally sensitive way to avoid loss of face,

You must be new to Asia, you have already lost face, coz as you pointed out,

They don't bother the Thai's

Ask yourself, why dont they bother the Thais, for the simple reason a Thai would give them a mouthful, no Thai is gonna take shyt from some grubby hawker, if they did they would lose face.

As mentioned before,

1, ignore them, they dont care.

2, give a hand signal, they dont care,

3, tell them, no thanx, they dont care.

4, tell them to piss off, they dont care.

5, revert to NY style and gain some face.

NY best city on the planet, NYrs dont take shyt in NY why take it here?

As for face, thankfully I am a farang, I dont give a toss about it, and I certainly dont give a toss what a bunch of strangers think of me.

About par for the course these days in that part of town, just part of the flora fauna flotsam and jestsam, same same but different from the ladyboy pickpockets, drug dealers, freelancer prostitues and dildo sellers.

Thanx for reminding me what I miss out on (NOT).

I ignore them, or wave them away and it usually works, However if I'm in a less than good mood, I might throw in a "polite" <deleted> off as well! whistling.gif Same goes for the cloth sellers who try to grab my hand!

Learn some aikido, its amazing the amount of pressure a simple thumb grip can excert.

My route home from the gym used to take me past these idiots and I suspect they thought it was amusing to ask me if i wanted to buy a watch each time they saw me.

I'm not a rude person and just politely refused each evening but then it started to get seriously annoying so, after making sure there were no Thais I know in earshot (I used to live very locally) I told them to "F.O." and "See what happens to you next time you ask me".

Never asked me again.

Problem solved

They infest Soi 18.

Noticed yesterday they are crawling along Soi 20 as well now.

I simply give them my less polite 'no thank you' I give all unwanted approaches in narrow streets. They never seem to remember the next day though.

Is there a number to report possible illegals selling fake merchandise on the streets.. I mean to somebody that would give a damn?

Just tell them to F Off and if he can't hear it repeat it loud and add something to it.

Around kao san road are similar vendors who are from north thailand and they sell the wooden frogs, very annoying when you are eating/drinking in a restaurant.

Why not be rude? Who cares?

They also like to go stand in your way to get your attention, i don't walk around them but just follow my way and give them a bodyclash without looking. If they have problems with that they might feel what sport i did for 15 years but it never came that far luckily for them.

It seems they are protected by the police, also in phuket they had loads of those indian sellers suddenly. I also thought jobs that thai can do have to be done by a thai so how can all those indians be here to annoy us Quality Tourists?

It seems they are protected by the police, oalso in phuket they had loads of those indian sellers suddenly. I also thought jobs that thai can do have to be done by a thai so how can all those indians be here to annoy us Quality Tourists?

working on a tourist visa. nice one!

Edited by fey