Panasonic fz1000 and lx100 not available in Thailand?

The FZ1000 has been out for months elsewhere, which is probably the one I want too. Seems more fun despite size and lx100 having wider angle video and bigger sensor. I assume if I order it from abroad it will be seized by customs and I will have to pay customs tax?

The FZ1000 has been out for months elsewhere, which is probably the one I want too. Seems more fun despite size and lx100 having wider angle video and bigger sensor. I assume if I order it from abroad it will be seized by customs and I will have to pay customs tax?

Use this to calc import charges.

https://www.dutycalculator.com/

I know the poster FracturedRabbit imports from US vendors like B&H. Best ask the Rabbit.

Personally, I'd hold on for the launch price to drop as it will loads on the LX100. Good choice by the way, I started out with an LX5.

• Like 1

Sometimes gear slips through the import net, especially for lower value items; but the duty is not too painful and all you have to do is pop down to the post office, pay the duty, and pick it up. If you follow the tracking you can spot it has arrived and go pick it up without waiting for the little card from the post office.

Since my last post, B&H now have the LX100 in stock. They are very efficient and delivery is only a few days.

Asked a salesman yesterday and he seemed unsure when the FZ1000 would arrive, he shrugged and said maybe a month. Looks like ordering it overseas is the only option, duty looks just under 4k baht.

It is a shame as this is a massive camera compared to my current sony rx100, so i really wanted to hold it in my hands for a while to see if i could imagine carrying it around. Carrying around the rx100 is hardly even a consideration because it is so small.

Asked a salesman yesterday and he seemed unsure when the FZ1000 would arrive, he shrugged and said maybe a month. Looks like ordering it overseas is the only option, duty looks just under 4k baht.

It is a shame as this is a massive camera compared to my current sony rx100, so i really wanted to hold it in my hands for a while to see if i could imagine carrying it around. Carrying around the rx100 is hardly even a consideration because it is so small.

RX100 Mk3 instead?

I'd hold out for the reviews and a price drop Mat. What's the rush?

The rush is because I need 4k video. Every time I walk past electronics shops and see the 4k TVs I realize the rx100 is nowhere near good enough. I have the second one which may be no worse or better than the third for the video I shoot. There is a problem with the third one apparently when shooting in the new codec at 24 or 25 frames per second, so it wasn't worth risking the upgrade.

I will probably then need to sell the fz1000 next year to get a camera with the new h.265 codec as file sizes are very important to me. The only one with that now is the forthcoming Samsung N1 which is at least twice the price of the FZ1000.

The lx100 reports so far don't sound too impressive with regards to video and it is too big to be a pocket camera, so may as well get the fun zoom range of the fz1000 which also has more video options.

The rush is because I need 4k video. Every time I walk past electronics shops and see the 4k TVs I realize the rx100 is nowhere near good enough. I have the second one which may be no worse or better than the third for the video I shoot. There is a problem with the third one apparently when shooting in the new codec at 24 or 25 frames per second, so it wasn't worth risking the upgrade.

I will probably then need to sell the fz1000 next year to get a camera with the new h.265 codec as file sizes are very important to me. The only one with that now is the forthcoming Samsung N1 which is at least twice the price of the FZ1000.

The lx100 reports so far don't sound too impressive with regards to video and it is too big to be a pocket camera, so may as well get the fun zoom range of the fz1000 which also has more video options.

GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition?

• Like 1

I have been reading up on the gopro hero 4. It doesn't have manual controls (I think all you can do is limit ISO) and it has a super wide angle fisheye view only, when filming in 4k. My friend also tells me it won't be good enough in low light. Would of been awesome to use such a small device but it is just too limited right now.

I have been reading up on the gopro hero 4. It doesn't have manual controls (I think all you can do is limit ISO) and it has a super wide angle fisheye view only, when filming in 4k. My friend also tells me it won't be good enough in low light. Would of been awesome to use such a small device but it is just too limited right now.

May I recommend the Sony A7s with external 4K recorder?

Going to be big bucks.

Or the Panasonic GH4. That has internal 4K, very good.

• 4 weeks later...

Still not available though, so I moved on and got a phone which has awesome video, without zoom. Then will likely upgrade to a real camera next year, like the samsung NX1.

The fz1000 is almost old technology already, may as well wait a bit now if you do video and get something like the NX1 which uses the new codec H.265. Would still make a fun stills camera for the outdoors though, if it ever gets released here.