Some cheer for the homeless nationwide

Lite Beer

Some cheer for the homeless nationwide
Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

30246741-01_big.jpg

With thousands of people currently living on the streets in Bangkok, the Issarachon Foundation and relevant authorities held various activities yesterday to mark Day for the Homeless.

BANGKOK: -- Law set to be passed soon should cut barriers to helping nation's most needy

There was a silver lining when people living on the streets of Bangkok showed up for an event marking Homeless Day yesterday.

The bright note was not the free food or new clothes that were handed out, but a recently approved law that is set to take effect within the next few weeks.

"It is a tool to ease obstacles in the delivery of help," Issarachon Foundation secretary-general Natee Saravari said about the new legislation.

Last week, the National Legislative Assembly passed the Protection of the Helpless Act in hope to creating better lives for the underprivileged including the homeless.

Issarachon Foundation has long worked for people living in public space, extending much-needed help to as many homeless people as possible.

According to a survey it conducted, about 3,000 people lived on the streets of Bangkok last year. While strict measures imposed under martial law, which is still in force, have pushed the homeless away from Sanam Luang, the foundation has found that the number of people living in public has not really fallen. These people have just moved to small sois elsewhere.

In fact, ongoing surveys by the foundation suggest that the number of people living in public space has soared by about 10 per cent this year.

The new homeless include Alzheimer's disease patients, Indians, Myanmar nationals, Cambodians, and Chinese people.

"We believe the new law is going to facilitate the delivery of tangible assistance to the homeless and ensure their human dignity," Natee said.

He said when the act takes effect, it would be possible for a private organisation to run shelters for the homeless using subsidies from the government, local administrative organisations, temples and non-profit bodies.

"Through the act, a committee will be established to protect the helpless. Committee members will come from both the government and the private sector. If any abuse of the helpless or the homeless takes place, complaints can be lodged with this committee," Natee said.

Living on Bangkok's streets for 17 years, Suchart Mingmuang has no idea what the act is supposed to do at this point. But he appeared happy when he received a pushcart at the Homeless Day event yesterday.

Held at the Din Daeng pier, Homeless Day event has been observed in Bangkok for two consecutive years already as the Issarachon Foundation and Social Welfare and Development Department's Ban Mit Maitree shelter strive to help the needy.

"This pushcart may help me find a new means of livelihood. Perhaps, I will be able to sell beverages for a living," Suchart said.

A Ban Mit Maitree official said their office could hand out five pushcarts this year, using money from donors.

"If we can raise more funds, we will hand out more," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Some-cheer-for-the-homeless-nationwide-30246741.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-01

There is not many fall back safety nets in any Asian country to speak of , so anything is better than nothing , life it seems is cheap and unless you have family to look after each other you are indeed in trouble, governments seem to take the issue of people and place that on the back burner in favour of big business , there never seems to be much anticipation rate within the community from big business or the wealthy, until that attitude changes, it could be perceived that both the wealthy big business and Governments only care about one person, themselves and up U jack. bah.gif

• Like 1

Sopporting homeless people to remain on the streets works short term but doesn't relieve the problem long term. It needs a more dedicated professional organisation to interview, house, find employment, and regain dignity for these people. Sometimes their alienation from their families is the first thing to change. But it needs a committed NGO to start the process.

Local Drunk. Many of the homeless have mental disorders...or literally no education or funds to create an opportunity. Society must help the disadvantaged in hopes that they will find a path to self sufficiency. Its called Love.

Not my problem... Those people in mention are not my responsibility, nor are they the responsibility of the government. I don't love them at all and neither does the government. If you want to open up your wallet and spend time to help them it's your business. Don't expect anyone else to do it.

Local Drunk. Many of the homeless have mental disorders...or literally no education or funds to create an opportunity. Society must help the disadvantaged in hopes that they will find a path to self sufficiency. Its called Love.

Not my problem... Those people in mention are not my responsibility, nor are they the responsibility of the government. I don't love them at all and neither does the government. If you want to open up your wallet and spend time to help them it's your business. Don't expect anyone else to do it.

You have a quote from Tom Waites. He collaborated with photographer Michael O'Brien to create a book on homelessness called Hard Ground. There's words like 'social responsibility' and 'humanity' you should think about, if you don't get it, think about them some more.

Edited by lemonjelly
  • Like 1

Wow. Why do I have to share oxygen with people like this?

• Like 1

Wow. Why do I have to share oxygen with people like this?

I think he has killed too many brain cells.

• Like 1

There are many reasons for a person to become homeless Poverty unemployment poor health and mental issues gambling sexual abuse family fallouts like divorce etc etc.

Alzheimer's and dementia is a rising problem around the world and it must be terrible to be abandoned on the streets of Bangkok with nowhere and no one to turn to .

I hope local drunk that you never find yourself or any of your family in any of these situations.

• Like 1

But, for the grace of god go you.

You could not give them money, but volunteer your time; say 2-8 hours on the weekend helping out in an NGO. It could be good for your soul. It’s called kindness and generosity when you do a selfless act. Such acts improve the equilibrium in the world.

Not everyone has the capacity to be as fortunate as you?

I disagree with this proposed law. It's really simple... If you don't work you don't eat. If you work for someone, then your only going to have what they are willing to pay you. So do it or go hungry.

There are no free rides in life.

One size does not fit all, in your world maybe in the real it does not.

I disagree with this proposed law. It's really simple... If you don't work you don't eat. If you work for someone, then your only going to have what they are willing to pay you. So do it or go hungry.

There are no free rides in life.

Local Douche would be a more truthful name!

• Like 1