Where To Buy In Chiang Mai

MinutePigglet

and one more ...

for "kaar-moo", the real number one place!

Chang puak food market, start around 5pm, the Kaar-moo stall in the middle left, run by a lady, one thing to recognize it, they have a wood-step to be high enough for work :o

the meat is the smoothest I have ever taste, and the sauce is simply divine :D

francois

Sorry but i have to disagree: my GF makes the best kha moo in town. Simply unbeatable.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and one more ...

Chang puak food market, start around 5pm, the Kaar-moo stall in the middle left, run by a lady, one thing to recognize it, they have a wood-step to be high enough for work :D

francois

Sorry but i have to disagree: my GF makes the best kha moo in town. Simply unbeatable.

And the directions to your GF's place? :o

and one more ...

Chang puak food market, start around 5pm, the Kaar-moo stall in the middle left, run by a lady, one thing to recognize it, they have a wood-step to be high enough for work :D

francois

And the directions to your GF's place? :o

Just follow the sweet smell... :D

Guest IT Manager
Does anybody know where i could find "chinese lawn" ? (that the way they call it in Africa)

As far as I know, it's a lawn that doesn't grow too high and that doesn't need much upkeep.

Not sure about Chinese, but I use Yar Malay for undercover areas and Yar Yippoon for outdoors. Have use yar malay outdoors here and there but it isn't as good.

In Khomtien Market, drive in from Superhighway, to the traffic lights, turn left, go to the end turn right, first on the left an 60 metres down, has both, at 15-16 baht per square metre.

They are obvious because there are always trucks there picking it up and dropping it off.

IT/Gardener

Does anybody know where i could find "chinese lawn" ? (that the way they call it in Africa)

As far as I know, it's a lawn that doesn't grow too high and that doesn't need much upkeep.

Not sure about Chinese, but I use Yar Malay for undercover areas and Yar Yippoon for outdoors. Have use yar malay outdoors here and there but it isn't as good.

In Khomtien Market, drive in from Superhighway, to the traffic lights, turn left, go to the end turn right, first on the left an 60 metres down, has both, at 15-16 baht per square metre.

They are obvious because there are always trucks there picking it up and dropping it off.

IT/Gardener

Thank you very much, IT Gardener.

IT/Gardener

Thank you very much, IT Gardener.

I love driving around looking at all the garden offerings behind Tesco...I haven't had much luck with the Yaa Malaysia, though. It seems to die easily for me. I prefer the shorter yaa pass yiboon that adjan mentioned, even at 20 baht per piece. It lasts longer, it's easier to trim, and seems to handle foot traffic better....

There are also a couple of places that sell reasonably priced (around 2,000 baht) large water fountains, delivered and set up. Sure does add a nice touch to any garden, and it's probably good Feng-Shui, too :o

I spent 10 years mowing the stupid lawn in Canada. The first thing i did when i moved into my wife;s house in CM was to buy a couple of truck loads of river rock and cover every blade of grass! Looks great with a lot of plants ;stumps fish ponds and big rocks and i never have to mow it! Also seems to help with keeping the mosquitos down. :o

Chang puak food market, start around 5pm, the Kaar-moo stall in the middle left, run by a lady, one thing to recognize it, they have a wood-step to be high enough for work :o

Ok, I'm going to need more specific directions than that. I actually was in the area yesterday, and there's no shortage of khaa moo places at that food market I'd say! Counted at least 4 of them. One of them has a sign claiming to be 'the original one', I wonder if that's it?? Actually bought some from one stall but it probably wasn't he one as it wasn't very spectacular. Also noted that ALL of them have some kind of bench for the sellers to be high enough. :D

The one I tried has a red sign with Thai writing in a Chinese styled font saying Khaa Moo Hong Tae. Run by fat lady (aren't they all..) and one guy. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Note that I also tried the hamburger place "Mike's Burgers" on the corner of the moat and Chang Moi. Definitely authentic greasy-spoon type of place. Though price I thought is a bit on the high side for what you get, and then the bread is the standard American mushy bun.. again definitely authentic, but someone mentioned French bread and I really think that's the way to go for burgers.. :o At 75 baht for the Mike's Original burger that's a bit steep.. Many 'proper restaurants' are cheaper and throw in some fries at that price.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Note that I also tried the hamburger place "Mike's Burgers" on the corner of the moat and Chang Moi. Definitely authentic greasy-spoon type of place. Though price I thought is a bit on the high side for what you get, and then the bread is the standard American mushy bun.. again definitely authentic, but someone mentioned French bread and I really think that's the way to go for burgers.. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I agree, especially on the french bread. Chanchao, do you know of any place selling french bread equal to, or better than, Kasem's? The long, big, hard crust stuff, not the soft and wimpy baguettes I see so often in other places

And have you tried Mike's chilli and onion rings? They're my favorites...

> for "kaar-moo", the real number one place!

Hmm.. seems we may have as much debate about khaa moo as we would over which is the best hamburger.. :o I have another candidate. Actually not strict khaa moo but a combination of this and khai phalo (the eggs cooked in Chinese herbs). This one is definitely a candidate, see the last picture for the most recent entry here: http://chanchao.fotopages.com Note that it comes at a whopping 50 baht too!

Cheers,

Chanchao

I agree, especially on the french bread. Chanchao, do you know of any place selling french bread equal to, or better than, Kasem's? The long, big, hard crust stuff, not the soft and wimpy baguettes I see so often in other places

Oddly enough I buy the French bread in Big C. This is the hard crusty stuff. However it's a bit dry and doesn't keep longer than a day.

Oddly enough I buy the French bread in Big C. This is the hard crusty stuff. However it's a bit dry and doesn't keep longer than a day.

Thanks for the tip, Lamphun

I don't think french bread is made to last more than one day, though my housekeeper believes that if you just stick it in the freezer, anything will last a lifetime :o

Do you know of any place selling German rye bread ?

I used to go to the Garage on Rajdamnoen rd but the place was taken over by an Italian.

I've tried the bakery on Kotchasarn rd (soi 1) but  was quite disapointed.

Psst, Central sells it in the super market. :o

Thanks, G-P.

Hey I've got a question, I'm going to be in Chaing Mai during the first week or so  in April and would like to know what the best massage school of instruction is for Thai Massage. Any suggestions?

If you mean that you want to learn "Sen" massage (a.k.a. Thai Nuat); then I'd suggest a place that English is spoken well, unless your Thai is up to snuff. Pictures are great but will only take you so far.

Along Loi Kroh about halfway to the night bazaar on the left hand side just past the wat parking lot are two great spots. The second one down has a white sign with green writing, the other is just before it.

Both give exellent massages. Both speak English well enough to teach and offer classes. The green and white sign is owned by a farang. He schedules well and doesn't overwork the staff, which ensures a pair of strong hands. I find the one prior a bit more sanuk and friendly; but sometimes too chatty. These places will probably give you a better price than those advertised on the web.

On the web, but having never gone is this place among others. In looking at the prices, they seem to be targeting the farang demographic. You should be able to get the same or similar tutlage from the ones I've mentioned prior.

Enjoy!

Thanks MP for the info! Wonderful to know this stuff. I found a number of places on the web and they seemed a bit on th epricey side. Being a licensed Massage Therapist from the States I'm looking to expand my horizons and offer a therapuetic service of a different kind when I return to the States. Currently I work as a Respiratory Therapist in Riyadh Saudi Arabia and will be on holiday for e few weeks there in Thailand. Guess that's more than you wanted to know but I do appreciate the info :o

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread. I have found the information very useful.

Wanted: Picture framing. Have some relatively expensive prints that I would like framed using archival (acid free) paper and mats. Does anyone know of a place? I thought about calling the Art department at CMU and see if they can recommend someone, but I can’t find their number.

Wanted: CM source for aluminum plate and bar: I am in the process of building some DIY audio equipment and need a few small (140mm x 130mm x 3 or 4 mm) aluminum plates and some 20mm x 20mm Aluminum bar. I would also like to find a shop that can drill and mill some holes in the plate as well. Does anyone know where I can get some anodizing done?

I’m sure most already know about this, but I was amazed when I went into Rimping Supermarket (Chang Puak Rd.) for the first time. I found food items such as fresh tarragon, marjoram, thyme, a nice selection of imported Italian cheese, and some New Zeeland wine that I had not seen in CM before. IMHO, a definite step up from Lotus, Tops and Carrefour.

Wanted:  Picture framing.  Have some relatively expensive prints that I would like framed using archival (acid free) paper and mats.  Does anyone know of a place?  I thought about calling the Art department at CMU and see if they can recommend someone, but I can’t find their number.

BillW:

I've had some framing done by a little shop in Kad Luang - they didn't have a fantastic range available but the work was of good quality and more than a year down the track they are still hanging on the walls..

It's located alongside the Ping River at the southern end of the Kaew Narawat bridge, maybe a couple of shops down from the corner (where there's a sewing machine place) heading towards Tapae Rd.

WANTED: An Aussie Style* 4 or 5 burner LPG BBQ with stand - in my 2 or so years in CNX I'm yet to find one - there's plenty of 44 gallon drums cut in half (everywhere) and a couple of small Webbers (HomePro), but what I'm after is something like this:

http://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/products...ry%8A%88%5Bh%8D

or this:

http://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/products...3lry%8A%89Yk%8B

* Not unique to Australia, but the only BBQ a true Aussie would cook on.

WANTED: An Aussie Style* 4 or 5 burner LPG BBQ with stand - in my 2 or so years in CNX I'm yet to find one - there's plenty of 44 gallon drums cut in half (everywhere) and a couple of small Webbers (HomePro), but what I'm after is something like this:

Well, assuming those 669 dollars are Oz dollars and not the real ones :o

I'd sure like one, too. Been dying to try to make some bbq like the stuff I remember from San Francisco...

As for framing, I've used the place near Pratu Chiang Mai on the road going past Suang Prung hospital....The frame shop is near the intersection, left side, about 200 meters before Suan Prung. They've been there for ages, and they're nice to me. I've had around 20 items framed there this year and last. Fine quality, but forget the archival-quality handling. Huge difference in mat/paper price between the two, and very difficult to know by sight even by 'experts'. As such, an easy scam to pull, with a high profit potential...In other words, I wouldn't trust anyone around here selling 'archival' mat or papers....Then there are the chemicals saturated in every frame made here to consider.

I gave up those 'everlasting-life' standards long ago....If my stuff lasts longer than me, it's because of a design error.

Of course, CM is still a great place to learn how to make your own Sa paper (mulberry). With a proper press, you can quite easily create proper archival-quality paper, and possibly even mats...

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to say, thanks to MinutePigglet, Ulyssus G., Chanchao, Zendesigner, p1p and Ajarn for the following recommendations:

Rimping Supermarket. The one by Novotel has more stuff.

ICON, First Floor Electronics. It has a lot of things besides S-video cable.

Kitti Electronics. S-video cables and electronics stuff.

Fillmore East. Hamburger.

Duc de Prasin. Belgian Chocolates. Delicious.

Neo Entertainment Gallery. High quality CDs and DVDs.

Framing place near Chiang Mai gate. Many choices of frames and matting.

Also, I haven't tried yet the yogurt at Jeruselem Fallafel, but we found some pretty good yogurt at RimPing. Also at RimPing, there are gyozas that are pretty tasty. We bring them home, make our own sauce and cook them.

Regarding bread, Carrefour has some very good bread. We like bread with texture and that is chewy. They have a sour dough round loaf and a couple of mediterrean breads - one with sun-dried tomatoes, one with olives (though I haven't seen that lately) and various other types.