Dog Meat Trade in Thailand Is Under Pressure and May Be Banned

Lite Beer

A neighbour was pressed by his Chiang Rai wife to attend an uncle's funeral some years back. He told me he was sickened and surprised to see one of the family call one of the family dogs and casually slit it's throat to throw on the barbecue. He hasn't been back since. Barbarians!bah.gif

What a bloody sod,,,,Some countries don't eat beef and some don't eat pork and some don't eat lamb/goat all animals get killed to eat so what's the diff?? and no i don't eat dog but in the Netherlands we eat beef,pork,Horse, lamb & chicken ,pidgin,bisamrat,,,then in Australia, we eat also crocodile ,possum,snake,turtle,kangaroo,must I go on? Australian natives also eat dugong baby parrots and baby budgies,,,,more ?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke recently to a young man who is a sailor in the US Navy. He had been located for some reason to Dutch Harbor, Alaska. The area has a problem with feral dogs. Every few years there, such as when a child was mauled to death, a "cull" is announced. All pets are to be held inside and the locals set loose with their firearms to clean up the area. Bounty set at five dollars a tail. 50 baht would be good for Thailand.

It would be a good days work to rid the world of American Pit Bull dogs.

I do not judge what meat people choose to eat. The issue is of cruelty. ... if they can slaughter dogs humanely then nobody should condemn another person's right to eat just another source of protein.

Then nobody should blame a lion who kills a human, or a human killing another human, as long the killing is humanly done its o.k. right?

Just another source of protein as you claim. A very cold person so seem be.

I spoke recently to a young man who is a sailor in the US Navy. He had been located for some reason to Dutch Harbor, Alaska. The area has a problem with feral dogs. Every few years there, such as when a child was mauled to death, a "cull" is announced. All pets are to be held inside and the locals set loose with their firearms to clean up the area. Bounty set at five dollars a tail. 50 baht would be good for Thailand.

Or travelmans, I have no use for them either.

Edited by ikbenhet
  • Like 1

An ill informed report from the New York Times. There are around 50,000 Koreans here and dogs are a delicacy. I worked for a Korean Company for 6 years and dog eating parties were held almost every weekend.

Good for you. Real word traveler you are.

Had good fun did you?

• Like 1

I do not judge what meat people choose to eat. The issue is of cruelty. ... if they can slaughter dogs humanely then nobody should condemn another person's right to eat just another source of protein.

Then nobody should blame a lion who kills a human, or a human killing another human, as long the killing is humanly done its o.k. right?

Oh dear I shall engage since I am waiting for my meat dinner. If in your fantasy narnia type world, a wild lion is able to kill humanely then philosophically I have no issue with the lion getting its human protein. But we live in the real world where wild animals kill savagely for food and that is natural, so I am ok with that.

Taking of another human's life is already ok by some cultures. Hence we have capital punishment, euthanasia and arguably, abortion. I am pro voluntary euthanasia so if I am a cold person, so be it. Any more personal insults?

I did not mean to attack you personally, I just think your reasoning is cold.

I think that dogs along with horses should at least have a special status along humans.

They carried a lot of burdens along side of us. They at least deserve some respect.

• Like 1

Pigs have higher intelligence than a dog, but the Americans and British have no issues about eating them and subjecting those animals to grotesque living conditions. However, eating dogs or whales or anything that looks cute, is a huge taboo. Epic double standards.

I would never eat dog, but would never criticize anyone for it.

You probably subjected to an IQ test?
Recall here that intelligence is the essence of man as the laugh and the complacent obedience dog is not a sign of superiority.
Finally, our refined civilization has taught us not to eat carnivorous animals. That is why the consumption of dog is marginal and they will continue to rot my nights with their nuisance barking.

So does that go for people as well. If we slaughter them humanely, then nobody should complain about just another source of protein.

I only eat Thai. As long as the missus isn't around.

Or she's involved at the same time thumbsup.gif

Lighten up guys....there are meat eaters and non meat eaters in the world. I doubt the twain will ever agree.

Some of us have animals we regard as pets and cannot fathom how some people could eat them. Others can eat the same animal without a skerrick of conscience. C'est la vie.

Anyone want a feed of grasshopper?

Sigh.sad.pngannoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif How many more posters are going to miss the point of this thread? Do you not have eyes and a brain? Have a look at the two photos in the other dog thread of the poor creatures shoved into a wire cage like dirty clothes crammed into a basket. Then come back and tell us again that it's about free choice and cultural heritage. offtopic.gif.pagespeed.ce.ifZtFTWxj3.png

• Like 2

Again and again, this forumm is filling up with comments from people who know sweet f-all about Thailand.

Arusakda, if you live in Thailand or believe you know Thais, you would know that a huge majority of Thais would find the idea of personally killing off street strays as repugnant, due to their Buddhist beliefs. Thailand is a land of contrasts, they may seem unconcerned about huge road death tolls, rampant corruption etc. but their beliefs on the sanctity of life is steadfast. My wife is hesitant even about stomping on a cockroach. You should know that before making this suggestion. Why do you think the principles of the Ma Wat are in every town across Thailand.

Oh dear I shall engage since I am waiting for my meat dinner. If in your fantasy narnia type world, a wild lion is able to kill humanely then philosophically I have no issue with the lion getting its human protein. But we live in the real world where wild animals kill savagely for food and that is natural, so I am ok with that.

Taking of another human's life is already ok by some cultures. Hence we have capital punishment, euthanasia and arguably, abortion. I am pro voluntary euthanasia so if I am a cold person, so be it. Any more personal insults?

I did not mean to attack you personally, I just think your reasoning is cold.

I think that dogs along with horses should at least have a special status along humans.

They carried a lot of burdens along side of us. They at least deserve some respect.

In your culture maybe but for people from the Indus it are lama's, for Arabs it must be the camel and don t forget the donkey. To name a few. Yes for the west a dog, cat and horse lead the parade but other cultures other animals. In the Dutch language a horse is the only animal where the body parts have the same names as by humans.

the most disgusting thing i have ever seen in Thailand was a truck stacked up 10 ten dogs high in very small cages sitting in the noon day sun.

must have been a hundred dogs crammed together on that flat bed truck. the look of panic in the dogs faces was horrible as they could not move and did not have any water.

this will tell you all you need to know about Thailand...

cruel...

if you are a dog lover and you have never been to Thailand, you might want to seriously consider never coming here.

The dogs should go through a inspected licensed abortare.[sic]

I was with you up until this. Why should any dog, cat, pig cow or any other sentient creature be forced to endure the panic and distress of being forcibly shepherded into a warehouse reeking of fear, sh1t, p1ss and blood to be slaughtered for what? Because you are too lazy/incompetent/unimaginative to be able to make a meal for yourself from anything other than that you and your family brought you up on?

• Like 1

where do googers, probably veggies

Love these calling posters on any topic posters with a conscience 'do googers'[sic]. and 'veggies'. As if it were some type of denigration.

You old farts will be dead soon. You are all being upgraded biggrin.png

Again and again, this forumm is filling up with comments from people who know sweet f-all about Thailand.

Arusakda, if you live in Thailand or believe you know Thais, you would know that a huge majority of Thais would find the idea of personally killing off street strays as repugnant, due to their Buddhist beliefs. Thailand is a land of contrasts, they may seem unconcerned about huge road death tolls, rampant corruption etc. but their beliefs on the sanctity of life is steadfast. My wife is hesitant even about stomping on a cockroach. You should know that before making this suggestion. Why do you think the principles of the Ma Wat are in every town across Thailand.

Well said but are you honestly suggesting that if cash bounties were set for dog ears we would still have a problem with stray dogs? If so I would suggest it is YOU who has a shallow understanding of Thailand and it's culture. It's not that the vast majority of Thais revere life and would not stomp an insect (like me) but that a large number of Thais would eagerly cull dogs for money or even "kill 'ya for a nickel " Anybody here could be eliminated for a few thousand baht and that is the truth.

I love dogs. I am a 30+ year veggie. I only ate meat because my parents stuffed it in my face with every other crap thing that goes with it, such as Nationalism, Homophobia, and right wing ideology, before I knew better. Fortunately we were not burdened with Christiananity and it's lies. -arunsakda.

Edited by arunsakda

I eat chicken, duck, pig, cow, fish, shellfish. If it wanted to eat dog, then I should have the right to do so. No one who eats another animal has the right to say that I can't.

You are 'another animal'. Can I eat you? (cooked, not the other kind). Serious question. And if not, why, by your er haha 'reasoning', could I not? C'mon huh.png ?

I eat chicken, duck, pig, cow, fish, shellfish. If it wanted to eat dog, then I should have the right to do so. No one who eats another animal has the right to say that I can't.

Waellllll, I don't eat other animals, an' I'm sayin' you do not have the 'right' to say you can. If so, tell me where it says that? huh.png

You are 'another animal'. Can I eat you? (cooked, not the other kind). Serious question. And if not, why, by your er haha 'reasoning', could I not? C'mon huh.png ?

I've iterated and reiterated god knows how many times... it is not the eating of the animal in question.... it is the way they are treated and slain.

• Like 1

Will all correspondents please note, this issue is not about the political correctness or cultural practices of eating dog. It is about the abhorant transport of live dogs under horrific and inhuman conditions from Thailand to Vietnam. Anyone who continually fills this forum with whether eating dog is right or wrong, or how it compares to eating of beef or bloody horse is absolutely ignorant of the issue and enters this forum under pretense. Know about Thailand do you, I doubt if you have ever been here.

This is most definitely NOT about your weasel PC. You are attempting to sideline the entire issue of killing dogs (specifically) for the local tribesmen's ( IF, 'culture' is brought into this issue, as it so often is), eating pleasure. Not necessity. You and many other posters' 'it's how they are transported and killed' cop out, is simply that. So. By your reasoning (bear with me), if the Jews were were flown first class to Auschwitz, and then injected with a serum, on a nice comfy bed a la Dignitas, that would be okay with you? Yes? No? There really are no grey areas here. Well? Red Ant (It's 'mot daeng', BTW 'newbie').

A neighbour was pressed by his Chiang Rai wife to attend an uncle's funeral some years back. He told me he was sickened and surprised to see one of the family call one of the family dogs and casually slit it's throat to throw on the barbecue. He hasn't been back since. Barbarians!bah.gif

Its a cultural difference no different from them probably being disgusted that you eat beef.

It is meat and that is all there is to it.

Do you not find it equally disturbing that everything that you like to feast on has to lose its life to feed you?

No I am not a veggie, I am a meat lover, I just don't sit in judgement of others.

I assume you think live monkey brain is OK? It is eaten in secret in back street establishments in the GuangDong region of China.

A friend had the misfortunme of witnessing the barbarity first hand.

Monkey brought in, tied under a table with a hole in it for its head. Belles attached to the monkey's legs and arms.

Skull cut open. Feast starts. It ends when the bells stop ringing as the monkey is dead.

What about tigers? Last year Chinese businessmen were eating tigers in China (illegally).

I've iterated and reiterated god knows how many times... it is not the eating of the animal in question.... it is the way they are treated and slain.

WRONG. Look at what you wrote. 'Eaten' Ok, everyone must eat. I, along with thousands upon thousands of others have thrived, quite probably, from the corpulent, disease ridden, heart attack-in-waiting 'expats' here, much healthier, without the need to slay anything. Sorry, not laugh.png if that gives you paws (pun) for fuk1ng thought.

Thailand has finally been hounded into doing something about this situation for it to have made the New York Times..

Let's see how long it lasts, if at all.

Why is it any business of Americans, what Thai people eat??

Continue to bomb the Middle-East back further into the stoneage!!

I'm an American and I don't care who eats what. Generalizing statements discredit the writer. As for bombing, it appears unrelated to dog eating except in the slanted mind.

WRONG. Look at what you wrote. 'Eaten' Ok, everyone must eat. I, along with thousands upon thousands of others have thrived, quite probably, from the corpulent, disease ridden, heart attack-in-waiting 'expats' here, much healthier, without the need to slay anything. Sorry, not laugh.png if that gives you paws (pun) for fuk1ng thought.

No need for the paws pun. I have two beautiful black panther labradors. But you and I, no matter what, as not a party to the cultural establishment, will ever make a dot on changing the culture of Asian ways. Unfortunate, but true.

You've hit the nail on the head. If this trade is banned then it will move underground and there will be no control over the treatment of the dogs.

The dogs should go through a inspected licensed abortare.[sic]

I was with you up until this. Why should any dog, cat, pig cow or any other sentient creature be forced to endure the panic and distress of being forcibly shepherded into a warehouse reeking of fear, sh1t, p1ss and blood to be slaughtered for what? Because you are too lazy/incompetent/unimaginative to be able to make a meal for yourself from anything other than that you and your family brought you up on?

Guess u never been to a home for elderly sick people then , it smells like shit , piss , because there is not enough care for them , I talk about the netherlands , germany and belgium. They lie in there own shit and piss for a night or more .

I am talking about 1 world top class country's .

Back on topic , eat what nature provides does not go up anymore , Since we call us humans we where hunters and gatherers , so humans eat veggy's , frute , meat , anything that is eatible , I agree about it being a factorystyle bussines and animals suffer to much .