A Great escape into the mountains-- Doi Angkhang

Viking7113

Trip to Doi Angkhang

Doi Angkhang is the second highest mountain in Thailand. It is close to the small city of Fang and is about 150 km from Chiang Mai.Google maps claims the trip can be done in 2.5 to 3.5 hours. Its very optimistic to put it mildly. One should check their vehicle carefully before going on this trip as it not a place you want a brake failure. The roads up to Doi Angkhang are steep with many sharp turns. The route we drove was Highway 107. About 2 or 3 kilometers past the Chiang Dao caves turn left as the sign says. This route is probably the easier route up the hills. This route goes through rural Thailand. The small towns here are mainly Chinese and some may be descendents from the losing Nationalist forces in China which settled in northern Thailand. The scenery here is incredible. You may see corn crops growing up the sides of mountains. The final 50 kilometers are definitely uphill and it is steep to put it mildly. Many of the villages and farms cling to the side of the mountains. Some of the villages are poor to put it mildly. The village of Doi Angkhang is nestled in a valley amidst the mountains. Its simply awesome. There is a Royal Agricultural Station in the village. It is one of the highlights for the trip. There are flower gardens which includes orchids, roses and geraniums to name a few. There are lots of fruit and vegetables grown here from rhubarb, chives, brussel sprouts, peaches kiwi and apricots. I was shocked to see a huge catus garden here and a geodesic dome . We stayed at the very first resort as you drive in to the village. Its a modest 3 star place. It has a million dollar view and the lady provides some excellent food in their restaurant. The cabins are modest and basic and a bit overpriced at 1000 baht a night. You should check the rooms before you pay. The village gets very cool at night and its a bit chilly for Thais. I have heard via friends the village can be noisy at nights. On the drive you may have to pass a couple police or military checkpoints so be prepared. The drive down toward is very steep. There are really sharp curves and steep hills to deal with. I would only do this road in the day time.. You can park at the base and take a sontaew (truck taxi) which I would suggest on the Fang route. You have been warned!!! I would recommend this trip for the beauty and the fact that you are off the beaten path for tourists. It can be done as a day trip or you might enjoy at least one night stay. I have posted photos on my flicker account. There is a tent campng area too!

Stunning up there. Did you do the Rock Garden walk and chillout in the HQ restaurant? The Burmese lookout farther down the road is also worthwhile. Have stayed in both the project's onsite bungalows as well as the Amari outside the project in the cool season - latter is worth it, nice rooms, killer views and electric blankets.

main-hotel-photo.jpg

Also consider heading up the road from Fang to the hilltop village of Mae Salong.

330px-Mae_salong_view_01.jpg

Make sure you also go to the little border post Hilltribe village (sorry, I forget the name - just ask for directions) and check out the army border post and its view across the valley to the Burmese fort on the other side - hilarious!

Edited by Iamemjay
  • Like 1

Make sure you also go to the little border post Hilltribe village (sorry, I forget the name - just ask for directions) and check out the army border post and its view across the valley to the Burmese fort on the other side - hilarious!

The border post is not hard to find. The Burmese side is a joke. There is a sign saying not to take pictures that I saw after I took all the pics I wanted.

The trip is worth taking. From Chiang Mai, follow the road (traffic signal) going West just north of the Chiang Dao bypass, just as OP did, if you are not adept at handling very steep turns as on the road to Doi Ankhang closer to Fang. Use dramine regardless of road, if you have such a problem with heights and steep windy roads.

The inn pictured by daveaustin above is quite nice but is limited to some extent. It is most likely the most elegant and comfortable place to stay. If you are a trekker or into mountain bikes, the area will be more interesting.

It is not difficult to move around and explore, but the villages of the ethnic groups are not so impressively different in passing than what you would see elsewhere. The soldiers at the end of the road to Burma can be friendly and chatty as they are at most border stations.

Edited by Mapguy

• 3 weeks later...