hearing aids

Tabisugara

Lived in Chiangmai for 11 years. I had one bad experience with one audiologist in ChiangPhuak area.

can someone recommend an experienced audiologist with good testing and tuning equiptment?

I am willing to go to Bangkok if I could not find anyone this time.

Call Wichananart

Shop 053 271533

Mobile 0816656994

The shop in at the end of the road the Global is on, you turn left t at the end, and its 100mtrs on the LHS

My Thai next door neighbor used this goy, and I took my father in law, I was very impressed

The guy speaks excellent English, he would and liked in the USA for a few years

• Like 1

As a long time hearing aid wearer I say 'why let someone else adjust your hearing aids, when you can adjust them yourself far more accurately? Try to tell someone how something sounds to you vs knowing exactly how it sounds and correcting it... I used to spend a lot of money paying audiologists every six months or every year to adjust my hearing aids, never 'quite' getting it perfectly set. These days, I plug my hearing aids into my computer, turn on the software program, and dial in the EXACT settings I need. AND... I have four different programs available in my hearing aids with just a push of a button for my different hearing needs: one program for playing music with friends. One program for having dinner with friends in a noisy restaurant (directional microphones blocking noise from the sides.) Another program for general hearing during the day. And a fourth program that I have set up to stop ALL sounds, when everything is just too noisy to deal with. I can change these programs to anything I want, just by plugging in to my computer and making the adjustments. The company Techs gave me a two-hour tutorial over the phone (using Skype) and my computer, in how to use the software to create a program for any sound situation I encounter.

Hearing aid companies all use the same components inside their devices, then put their own brand names on them, quadruple the prices and sell them to the audiologists who sells them to the consumers. The company I deal with use the same components, but don't put a brand name on them, don't sell them through audiologists who need to tack on their own profit, so instead of a $4,000 device, it only costs $999. I've been using them for years now, and am one very satisfied customer!

Take a hearing test at any audiologist, or on line. All that really does is give you a starting point to work from. The accuracy of this test isn't that important. Your ears are a far more accurate device for deciding what you need for adjustment to your devices AFTER you have your hearing aids, and you do that WHILE ACTUALLY LISTENING TO THE RESULTS rather than trying to describe what you are hearing to someone else who then pushes some buttons and says 'gee, how's that? Better or worse?. Then ask the folks at 'Hear Source' about what they have that can handle your needs. I've been using mine for about 9 years now, and only have good things to say. PM me if you want more information.

Given that you can adjust hearing aids and $999 is still a lot of money is it possible to buy second hand devices and adjust them to your own hearing requirements? If so where do you buy used units?

I do not have to pay for mine as they are paid for by workers compensation. I am eligible for a new pair every 5 years if needed. The pair I have now one is 10 years old and the other three years old. I can do every thing with them that Folk Guitar does only I do not need a computer I have a little pocket size controller that will adjust them to those various situations and allow me to adjust the volume separate in each ear.

the value of a hearing test is to tell you if the ones you have are still able to do the job properly. As we age are hearing as a rule does not get better. Like I say I have one that is ten years old and adequate the other one had to be replaced as it was no longer up to the job. Their used to be a place in Pantip Plaza on the ground floor I don't know if they are still there.

Hi guys. Have any of you have any experience ordering hearing aids from the USA using the Veteran's Administration, Foreign Medical Program? If so, can you advise me on procedures and any pitfalls to look out for? I am 100% service connected disabled and definitely need hearing aids.

What did you say? What?

Hi guys. Have any of you have any experience ordering hearing aids from the USA using the Veteran's Administration, Foreign Medical Program? If so, can you advise me on procedures and any pitfalls to look out for? I am 100% service connected disabled and definitely need hearing aids.

What did you say? What?

Chiang Mai VFW Post has Service Officers that can help you. I would suggest working with them rather than taking a chance with other people's experience which may not be the same. The VFW Service Officers help people with VA medical, etc. all the time.

http://www.vfw-chiangmai.org/

• Like 1

As a long time hearing aid wearer I say 'why let someone else adjust your hearing aids, when you can adjust them yourself far more accurately? Try to tell someone how something sounds to you vs knowing exactly how it sounds and correcting it... I used to spend a lot of money paying audiologists every six months or every year to adjust my hearing aids, never 'quite' getting it perfectly set. These days, I plug my hearing aids into my computer, turn on the software program, and dial in the EXACT settings I need. AND... I have four different programs available in my hearing aids with just a push of a button for my different hearing needs: one program for playing music with friends. One program for having dinner with friends in a noisy restaurant (directional microphones blocking noise from the sides.) Another program for general hearing during the day. And a fourth program that I have set up to stop ALL sounds, when everything is just too noisy to deal with. I can change these programs to anything I want, just by plugging in to my computer and making the adjustments. The company Techs gave me a two-hour tutorial over the phone (using Skype) and my computer, in how to use the software to create a program for any sound situation I encounter.

Hearing aid companies all use the same components inside their devices, then put their own brand names on them, quadruple the prices and sell them to the audiologists who sells them to the consumers. The company I deal with use the same components, but don't put a brand name on them, don't sell them through audiologists who need to tack on their own profit, so instead of a $4,000 device, it only costs $999. I've been using them for years now, and am one very satisfied customer!

Take a hearing test at any audiologist, or on line. All that really does is give you a starting point to work from. The accuracy of this test isn't that important. Your ears are a far more accurate device for deciding what you need for adjustment to your devices AFTER you have your hearing aids, and you do that WHILE ACTUALLY LISTENING TO THE RESULTS rather than trying to describe what you are hearing to someone else who then pushes some buttons and says 'gee, how's that? Better or worse?. Then ask the folks at 'Hear Source' about what they have that can handle your needs. I've been using mine for about 9 years now, and only have good things to say. PM me if you want more information.

Given that you can adjust hearing aids and $999 is still a lot of money is it possible to buy second hand devices and adjust them to your own hearing requirements? If so where do you buy used units?

I've never seen used hearing aids for sale, but in fact I never looked for them very hard. I DID look for the 'fitting' software but it's only sold to audiologists directly by the hearing aid wholesalers... with the exception of HearSource. They give you a copy of the software, as well as the interface device that connects the hearing aids to the computer. I haven't been able to locate fitting software for Belltone, Starky, Siemans, Phonak, etc. For these brands, you usually have to make an appointment with an audiologist, spend a hundred bucks or so, and try to tell them what you are hearing so they can make adjustments... if they understand what you mean when you say 'gee, I hear a tinkling sound... no... it's more of a crinkling sound....' It works a lot better when YOU can make the adjustments while listing to that sound, and get it to smooth out just the way you want!

I do not have to pay for mine as they are paid for by workers compensation. I am eligible for a new pair every 5 years if needed. The pair I have now one is 10 years old and the other three years old. I can do every thing with them that Folk Guitar does only I do not need a computer I have a little pocket size controller that will adjust them to those various situations and allow me to adjust the volume separate in each ear.

It's a good thing that Workers Comp pays for those. The remote controlled devices usually sell for between $3,000-$4,000 EACH! Does your pocket device allow you to control the Compression Threshold of four channels, individual Compression ratio of each of the four channels, as well as the decibel range over a 12-band equalizer, besides the volume and gain controls? Some of the newer hearing aids are nothing short of amazing! There's one available now that connects via Bluetooth to a smartphone!

• 1 month later...

Call Wichananart

Shop 053 271533

Mobile 0816656994

The shop in at the end of the road the Global is on, you turn left t at the end, and its 100mtrs on the LHS

My Thai next door neighbor used this goy, and I took my father in law, I was very impressed

The guy speaks excellent English, he would and liked in the USA for a few years

I'd like to resurrect this thread to ask a question.

HullyGully, you say the shop is on the road that Global is on. I'm very confused by that.

Global House is on Rt 3029 which is the second ring road, a loop around the city.

Exact where do you turn left at the end? On Hang Dong Road? On Rt 1317 at Promenada?

Please clarify. Thanks in advance.

my question also ,where in chiang mai can i go and see ,buy from a selection of models.

the end of the ring road? somebody mentioned panthip?

anybody?

Yes there is an shop on the first floor of Pantip. I do not know what brand of ear phones they have or the price range.

In reply to an earlier post by Folk Guitar.

Perhaps in the States they would cost that much. Mine were bought in Canada one three years ago and the other 4 years ago. do they do every thing you asked? Darned if I know as they do every thing I need them to do very well. Also a few things I don't need.

I believe the hearing aid business in Pantip Plaza specializes in Seimens hearing aids. I don't know what other brands, if any, they carry.

There's another shop (Siam Hearing?) that's on the south side of Suthep Road about 50 yards or so east of where Nimmanhaemin tees into Suthep. I don't remember what brands of hearing aids they handle, I just go there to buy the batteries in bulk.

On the canal road heading, in Mae Hia, just past the Rimping and right next door to the BBQ store is the Intrimex Hearing Center. They can give you the hearing test etc. I just had some ear holds made there. I've worn hearing aids for more than 40 years, so I am experienced. The people in this office were nice, efficient and English is well spoken.

Alos, on Suthep road, opposite side from all the hospitals and down from the moat is the Siam Hearing Center. They sell various models of hearing aids.

For better driving instruction call the guy, he speaks English

Call Wichananart

Shop 053 271533

Mobile 0816656994

I drove past Global house on my RHS, drove to the end of the highway, then turned left at the end shop is a few hundred metres on the LHS