Thai editorial: Let's 'share' respect for victims' privacy

webfact

EDITORIAL
Let's 'share' respect for victims' privacy

The Nation

The advent of social media has made it harder to protect the privacy of victims of gruesome crimes and their families

BANGKOK: -- A public appeal has been made and, on the surface, nobody can disagree with it. The plea for the Thai media and all social media users to be more considerate towards the victims of accidents or heinous crimes and their families cannot be disputed if one wants to be politically correct. However, this issue goes way beyond political righteousness. We cannot just say it or preach it; we have to act on it.

In this digital age, it's getting harder for anyone to restrain himself when the "share" button is right in front of you and the competition among the mainstream media is tougher than ever. But when it comes to sensationalism, you either practice restraint or you don't. There's no middle ground. You can't say you are against sensationalism and then help promote photos or information that mock your proclaimed principle.

This leaves so much to be desired in Thailand, where extravagant media sensationalism has been amplified by curiosity and hypocrisy in the social media realm.

The recent appeal has to do with foreign victims whose families, friends and kin must have been shocked by graphic photos or details concerning their loved ones.

However, the appeal actually seeks to address a chronic tendency that families, friends and relatives of Thai victims have had to endure for so long.

On the issue of sensitivity, they say there is only one guideline or tip on how to conduct oneself and it is so simple. Picture the victim as someone we love and care for and then, if we are the mainstream media, decide what kind of photo or information should go into print or on air. It's the same when we are social media users gawking at pictures or videos that are heart-breaking or stomach-churning.

There are always plenty of "excuses" to publish, broadcast or share: People should be warned. Others have seen what I have seen. Other newspapers have published the photos. Other TV stations have broadcast the footage. The video that I'm about to share has tens of thousands of likes already. I'm just sending it to a close friend. Check out what's going on in supposedly better societies; and ad infinitum.

What most don't think about is that people can be warned in a more proper way, and if a photo or video has already gone viral, what's the point of adding a bit more fuel to the fire? More importantly, justifying our own dive into sensationalism by saying others "have already done it" is tantamount to admitting to being part of a vicious circle. Sensationalism used to feed on fierce competition among the conventional media but everyone is basically involved now. In many cases, the mainstream media only pick up on what's already "hot" among social network users.

"News will find you" is the tagline of the information revolution. Admittedly, we have human traits to thank for the fact that we rarely miss out on anything nowadays. But that comes at a big price, as the families, relatives and friends of some gruesome murder victims can attest to.

Demand and supply are getting all mixed up. The mainstream and social media want the same thing - attention - so they supply the audiences, whoever they are, with what they think interests them most.

It's a chicken-and-egg conundrum like in the old days, but only stickier. More responsibility and less hypocrisy can bring about changes but everyone must act collectively.

The appeal has definitely not fallen on deaf ears, but privacy is the ultimate "us or them" judgement, meaning sympathy and understanding have a very thick barrier to break.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Lets-share-respect-for-victims-privacy-30246804.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-03

I am not sure that I agree anymore with what is perhaps a thai view of western standards but it also extends to a lesser degree beyond the victims to the crazy police re-enactments of the assailants.

I used to be suprised by Asian photos of tragedy given our western prudish? upbringing (say that as I have picked up plenty of mangled bodies including my own children in emergency situations so death and its many guises do not shock me) but the public presence of tragedy photos completely eased when we had a young family friend and possible future son in law killed in an accident this time last year in Thailand. Thrown out of the back of a car which rolled at high speed as he had no seat belt on. The car rolled over him. The others in the car with belts on survived. Good enough survival that the friends in the car took a lot of photos of him as he laid and sent them to us. Out in the public domain but those photos helped the grieving process for our family member here who was in the midst of university exams and could not be there. As a dad to that beautiful broken heart I was thankful that she had something to grief too. The long term gain (and respecting the magnitude of the loss) of seeing that young busted body is now I do not even need to ask her "I didn't hear it (seat belt) click".

Edited by Roadman

Although I agree with the sometimes inappropriate sharing (and speculation) of information on the social media circuits, before blaming or criticizing anyone, the authorities need to control what they release to the public sector in their usually inane broadcasting of 'facts' before they are confirmed.

That said, the public should also understand that it is not their God-given right to be privy to all the facts of an on-going enquiry..................wink.png

It is standard procedure throughout the world for police forces to control the release of information to the public about specific cases.

Edited by chrisinth

"The recent appeal has to do with foreign victims whose families, friends and kin must have been shocked by graphic photos or details concerning their loved ones."

Well you can thank the Royal Thai Police for this event you avoid direct reference to.

• Like 2

"Let's 'share' respect for victims' privacy"

Yes just like one of the coppers on Koh Tao showed gruesome pictures of the victims on his private FBaccount, truly disregarding any decency!! Accountibility? No ofcourse not!!

More empty words!!bah.gif

• Like 1

Just another false flag editorial to save FACE.

Don't release, share, or like any of the photos from the KT murder.

Don't listen to CSI LA or anyone else when they point out simple inconsistencies with the "official" and "perfect" version of events.

It's easy to say that dissemination of such photos is offensive to friends and family but I disagree, as a friend or parent of someone who has been murdered under suspicious circumstances, I would want tens of thousands of people around the world sharing information and demanding answers.

Of course it is painful for anyone close to the victim to look at murder photos. But once that person has been murdered -- stolen from your presence -- the only thing left they can take is your dignity by refusing a thorough and translucent investigation into the perpetrators.

The editorial is just prepping the public for a coming crackdown on social media free speech. Disagree with the official version of events? Five years in jail for you!

"...a thorough and translucent investigation..."

Bloody hell, that's what so many people have been complaining about recently, the last thing anyone wants is a translucent investigation. Transparency in these investigations is what is needed.

Don't listen to CSI LA or anyone else when they point out simple inconsistencies with the "official" and "perfect" version of events.

It's easy to say that dissemination of such photos is offensive to friends and family but I disagree, as a friend or parent of someone who has been murdered under suspicious circumstances, I would want tens of thousands of people around the world sharing information and demanding answers.

Of course it is painful for anyone close to the victim to look at murder photos. But once that person has been murdered -- stolen from your presence -- the only thing left they can take is your dignity by refusing a thorough and translucent investigation into the perpetrators.

The editorial is just prepping the public for a coming crackdown on social media free speech. Disagree with the official version of events? Five years in jail for you!

"...a thorough and translucent investigation..."

Bloody hell, that's what so many people have been complaining about recently, the last thing anyone wants is a translucent investigation. Transparency in these investigations is what is needed.

Thanks for sharing, bro, you've added so much to this discussion.

• Like 2

Well spoken! Couldn't have said it better myself, Godfree2 thumbsup.gif

This issue is not about political righteousness but about professional, ethical, and moral behavior that is ingrained in the culture. But I suspect that by labeling it as "political righteousness" the government will have the pretext to further extend application of the Cyber Corruption laws to any event that is photographed or recorded without its approval.

If the emergency services didn't release pictures into the public domain for a fee there wouldn't be an issue.

Social or any other media isn't the issue. Blatent corruption among police and ambulance services is the problem.

That's a cop-out for the newspaper editors. Thai newspapers, with a few notable exceptions, seem totally devoid of basic humanity, let alone normal journalistic ethics. The fact that they actually pay insiders for the graphic pictures of the victims of crime and accidents shows just how far they will sink in pandering to the public appetite for the gratuitous and horrific.

This isn't a press freedom issue. It is about adhering to internationally-recognised standards without which newspapers eventually lose their credibility and end up as simply another branch of the entertainment industry. One has only to pick up a Murdoch tabloid to understand what I mean.

Journalistic ethics apart, action is urgently needed to end the suffering of relatives who lose loved ones and have their feelings trampled on by a irresponsible newspapers. If the media is unwilling to curb its excesses, then the new regime should do the job for them.

Edited by Krataiboy

Thai Visa can help spur this privacy thing onwards by STOPPING printing full addresses of victims... be they killed, sent to hopital etc. Might as well also post where the house key is hidden when they do this sort of "reporting". Do we really need to know exact address of victim? Only if we have larceny on our minds I would say....