China develops anti-drone laser

webfact

China develops anti-drone laser
By Digital Content

BEIJING, Nov 3 (Xinhua) -- China has successfully tested a homemade laser defense system specially targeting small-scale drones flying at low attitude.

The machine is able to shoot down various small aircraft within a two-kilometer radius and can do so in five seconds after locating its target, said a statement released Sunday by the China Academy of Engineering Physics, one of the system's co-developers.

Characterized by its speed, precision and low noise, the system is designed to destroy unmanned, small-scale drones flying within an altitude of 500-m and at a speed below 50m/s, it said.

"Intercepting such drones is usually the work of snipers and helicopters, but their success rate is not as high and mistakes with accuracy can result in unwanted damage," said Yi Jinsong, a manager with China Jiuyuan Hi-Tech Equipment Corp., a group under the academy spearheading the project.

According to Yi, small-scale, unmanned drones are relatively cheap and easy to use, which makes them a likely choice for terrorists. In addition, concerns have been raised over drones engaged in unlicensed mapping activities and the affect this could have on military and civil aerial activities.

The new laser system, which will either be installed or transported in vehicles, is expected to play a key role in ensuring security during major events in urban areas, the statement said, adding that a recent test saw the machine successfully shoot down more than 30 drones -- a 100 percent success rate.

The academy revealed that it was developing similar laser security systems with greater power and range. (Yonhap)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-03

This doesn't sound like a major technological advance to me. It sounds like something that shoots down the buy-at-the-hobby-shop drone.

I wonder how many birds they will take out thinking it is a drone.

Of course the Chinese cant be advanced. I think this is a big blow to the USA as they love drones the most. If China can use this a lot drones of the US are no longer a problem for them.

This is nothing new.

This technology has already been developed long ago in a joint cooperative between the USA and Israel.

THEL or the mobile version MTHEL since 2000.

The Chinese are not that different to Thais. They copy things from the more developed west and claim it as their own.

Wonder what happened to the Ebola wonder cure?

Edited by RustBucket
  • Like 1

This doesn't sound like a major technological advance to me. It sounds like something that shoots down the buy-at-the-hobby-shop drone.

50 m/s. Translate that for you; Fifty metres per second. 100 metres in 2 seconds, 1 km in 20 seconds. 3 km per minute, 180 km per hour.

I doubt if many, if any hobby shop drones fly that fast.

• Like 1

Of course the Chinese cant be advanced. I think this is a big blow to the USA as they love drones the most. If China can use this a lot drones of the US are no longer a problem for them.

It's not a problem unless China sells the technology to various "rogue" nations. Which they have done in the past, unfortunately! But drones get shot down now even without this technology.

Drones are fantastic. Saves lives, much less expensive, and some can go places other tech gadgets can't. Drones are changing our lives in many ways...mostly good. I liked the drone shots of the protests in Bangkok earlier this year. Amazing footage.

I was with a guy who had a drone at the bike fest here in Pattaya last year. It was neat to see the event from that perspective.

50 m/s. Translate that for you; Fifty metres per second. 100 metres in 2 seconds, 1 km in 20 seconds. 3 km per minute, 180 km per hour.

Oh dear God can't we give the US v. The World who is better a break in at least one thread. . . I think he was goofing around a bit, but who the heck cares.

Everyone has a lot of powerful crapola. Again, its the stuff you don't hear about that you have to worry about. I also doubt we are going to be sending drones into China anytime soon.

• Like 1

I don't think so. The METHL is already long been on the market. The Chinese clone only takes out slow moving drones at 500 M.... the METHL takes out fast moving missiles from multiple KM away.

No competition.

The yanks will just fly their drones at about 5000 M.

It's not a problem unless China sells the technology to various "rogue" nations. Which they have done in the past, unfortunately! But drones get shot down now even without this technology.

Drones are fantastic. Saves lives, much less expensive, and some can go places other tech gadgets can't. Drones are changing our lives in many ways...mostly good. I liked the drone shots of the protests in Bangkok earlier this year. Amazing footage.

I was with a guy who had a drone at the bike fest here in Pattaya last year. It was neat to see the event from that perspective.

Yeah, some guy flew a drone up into out firework show on the 4th if July and got amazing footage.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2014/07/05/nashville-fireworks-drone-video/12245831/

• Like 1

I don't think so. The METHL is already long been on the market. The Chinese clone only takes out slow moving drones at 500 M.... the METHL takes out fast moving missiles from multiple KM away.

No competition.

The yanks will just fly their drones at about 5000 M.

Drones need to get close in the end too. Anyway just commenting ont he fact people think the Chinese are dumb. They are as smart as anyone.

The question remains who is rogue.. I mean the USA is not exactly right all the time either. They have done their fair share of dubious things. Not every country has the same allies and such. So far IMHO the US is the least bad choice but they too need to be kept in line.

As for drones in public.. yes they are great you can get your own drones now and mount video on them. Sounds like fun.

• Like 1

Oh dear God can't we give the US v. The World who is better a break in at least one thread. . . I think he was goofing around a bit, but who the heck cares.

Everyone has a lot of powerful crapola. Again, its the stuff you don't hear about that you have to worry about. I also doubt we are going to be sending drones into China anytime soon.

What's your problem? Who said anything about the US?

You have issues that you should get help for.

• Like 1

Yeah, some guy flew a drone up into out firework show on the 4th if July and got amazing footage.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2014/07/05/nashville-fireworks-drone-video/12245831/

That is amazing!!!!

I think the fireworks could have downed that drone too (I mean it could.. not sure how big the risk is)

Yeah, I think he got too close toward the middle and was thinking the same thing. I remember seeing that drone (slow moving red light with no noise) flying over the crowd after the fireworks and wondering what that was.

They said the firework display was the second largest display in the US on the 4th. The ending was beyond intense.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wow - “successfully engage” more than 150 targets. Looks like the Chinese need to get their H&S branch to check this technology out (H&S is Hack & Steal).

..like the:

• chinese mythtical stealth fighter
  • sending that 'latest' mission to the Moon

I'm waiting on them Claiming to better the efforts Richard Branson and his Galactic... or the ability to shoot him down

They do have the Great City 4x4 though cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yes, this is very sensitive stuff gleaned from the OP which Beijing put in its Xinhua mouthpiece announcement of the successful testing of the anti-drone technology. This "Chinese" anti-drone system is in fact German anti-drone technology purchased as a shell of a drone by the Chinese CCP government. The Germans don't sell much technology to the CCP and its state owned corporations so this one was unusual.

According to Yi, small-scale, unmanned drones are relatively cheap and easy to use, which makes them a likely choice for terrorists. In addition, concerns have been raised over drones engaged in unlicensed mapping activities and the affect this could have on military and civil aerial activities.

The new laser system, which will either be installed or transported in vehicles, is expected to play a key role in ensuring security during major events in urban areas, the statement said, adding that a recent test saw the machine successfully shoot down more than 30 drones -- a 100 percent success rate.

Whether it's private corporate PRChinese tekkies or foreign drone enthusiast adventurers, privately owned and operated model drones or actual drones have arrived in the PRChina and the droll CCP Boyz in Beijing don't like it.

The PRC military has several times this year scrambled large forces in response to an actual or model drone buzzing around in the skies above major PRC cities to include over airports or other sensitive public infrastructure.

The most recent incident of a unidentified drone launching a CCP massive military response occurred October 23rd at a Beijing airport when a mysterious drone appeared over the facility. The PLA scrambled 1,226 Army and Air Force personnel, 123 military vehicles, 26 radar technicians, two fighter jets and two attack helicopters to find out what was going on.

Three young male engineers of a privately owned aviation technology company directing the real drone were located, surrounded and seized for illegally operating a 2.3-metre-long drone over the busy airport, where it had been conducting surveys for mapping purposes. The three were arrested and charged with violating the people's laws that strictly forbid any flights, manned or unmanned, without prior approval from the Air Force, civil aviation authorities and the local Air Traffic Control Bureau.

Although the CCP Boyz or CCP provincial and municipal officials seldom or rarely appear in public, they have safety concerns due to an incident last year that happened in Germany when Chancellor Angela Merkel was speaking in an open area and a small drone model landed in front of her. The model drone turned out to be the work of young pranksters that were arrested but which pointed out the dangers to presidents, prime ministers and other government officials or prominent people.

In another incident in the PRC, a guy from New Zealand was briefly detained by Public Security Bureau police last June after he flew a camera equipped drone over the historic Forbidden City at Tiananmen Square. The guy was lucky to get out of the hot water because the CCP walled central government compound called Zhong Nan Hai, which is Beijing's Kremlin, is only two blocks away.

http://phys.org/news/2014-10-drone-prompts-china-scramble-fighter.html

Meanwhile in New York City, where more than 40 drone incidents were reported last year, police have said that the flying objects could hinder their own work. In one incident, a police helicopter nearly collided with a drone.

"Drones are out there flying around. People think that they're a toy or a model; they're not," Jimmy Coan, a deputy inspector and the commanding officer for the NYPD's aviation unit, told CBS. "They're another aircraft flying in the national airspace system, and they create a significant safety hazard."

Drone hobbyists taking off in China (China Daily)

Updated: 2014-06-29 08:38

As the technology develops, more photo enthusiasts and businesspeople are using unmanned aerial vehicles to take pictures.

001aa018f83f15199f9e47.jpg

Aerial photographer Jin Xing uses a civilian drone to snap pictures from the sky via remote control. "Flying has been a perennial dream of humanity," Jin says. Provided to China Daily

Jin Xing isn't your average shutterbug. His camera of choice operates via remote control and is capable of capturing images 1,000 meters above ground.

Jin is part of a new class of aerial photographers in China who are using civilian drones to snap pictures from the sky. Once seen as just high-tech toys, unmanned aerial vehicles are now part of a budding industry that is as futuristic to Chinese people as Google Glass.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2014-06/29/content_17622330.htm

Commercial Drone Market Set To Take Off in China

http://dronelife.com/2014/08/13/commercial-drone-market-set-take-china/

China's Drone Swarms Rise to Challenge US Powerw photo

China is building one of the world's largest drone fleets aimed at expanding its military reach in the Pacific and swarming U.S. Navy carriers in the unlikely event of a war, according to a new report.

The Chinese military — known as the People's Liberation Army (PLA) — envisions its drone swarms scouting out battlefields, guiding missile strikes and overwhelming opponents through sheer numbers. China's military-industrial complex has created a wide array of homegrown drones to accomplish those goals over the past decade, according to the report released by the Project 2049 Institute on March 11.

"The PLA now fields one of the world's most expansive UAV [unmanned aerial vehicle] fleets," said Ian Easton and L.C. Russell Hsiao, researchers at the Project 2049 Institute and authors of the new report.

U.S. military forces still operate the largest drone fleet, with at least 679 drones in 2012, according to data from the International Institute for Strategic Studies reported by the Guardian. But the new Project 2049 Institute report estimates that China had 280 military drones as of mid-2011 — a number that has likely grown since then.

http://news.yahoo.com/chinas-drone-swarms-rise-challenge-us-power-173949154.html

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

I got the impression that the article was alluding to how it was all done with cheap components rather than having multi-million dollar budgets and 20 tonne vehicles.

Imitation and innovation are a close couple though.

Since there are allegedly camera drones made like mosquitoes, the accuracy would have to be good, and the speed/altitude less important.

If I could buy a 'bug zapper' like this for taking out mosquitoes then I'd be very interested to learn more (so long as it doesn't blind you while it's targeting - I've had my fair share of mishaps with very low power HeNe lasers and not wearing protective goggles).

Edited by Shiver

The CCP Boyz are using drones to attack rebellious Muslim Uyghurs in Xin Jiang but to date there have not been any reports of Uyghur militants using drones against the CCP People's Armed Police that occupy the special autonomous administrative region that is not a province of the PRC.

Still, I suspect the CCP Boyz in Beijing know something that neither they nor anyone else is saying about terrorists, drones, China.

How about loaning some to the French? Their nuke plants around the country have been buzzed recently by who knows who.... Although French minimize the risk, could be recon on defenses ahead of some ground assault by nut cases angry over no veil rule, or?