Germany struggles to adapt to immigrant influx

webfact

Germany struggles to adapt to immigrant influx
By Jenny Hill

"Everyone's moving to Germany."

So says Govan, a thin, bearded French jazz musician from Lyon whom I meet in a German language class for people recently arrived in Berlin.

"In one month," he says, "I met lot of people from everywhere."

The faces around the table are young, the accents mainly European. They tell a story about how the demography of this country is changing fast.

Germany is now the world's second most popular destination - after the US - for immigrants. And they are arriving in the hundreds of thousands.

Net migration to Germany has not been this high for 20 years, and even the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) describes it as a boom. In 2012, 400,000 so-called "permanent migrants" arrived here.

They are people who have the right to stay for more than a year. That represents an increase of 38% on the year before.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29686248

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-03

As a German, living in Berlin I can ensure every potential sceptic, that many, especially young folks, flock to Berlin cause of it's very unique nature without a second, no match in the entire world!

At a rate of 40-50 K.p.A. "newcomers" it is not really overwhelming number of people, cause Berlin, it's population, hasn't grown over the passed 40 or so wall years, but shrunk! People, Industries, Employers left this city like rats a sinking ship!

Now things are re-adjusting and that is just fine!

Many creative young people are drawn to this city from all over the globe and live happily next to each other, in some clubs one can hear almost every language spoken on this planet, here in Berlin are by now people from 197 different nations registered!

Taking the economic underperformance of some other EU-countries into account it is understandable what is happening right now, UK faces the same flood of migrating workers manly from eastern EU memberstates!

While som of the expats, commenting here, enjoy their stay in the Kingdom of Thailand, please be generous and let others enjoy their lives in their country of choice too!

Who knows what this will bring in the future, maybe some very positive new development, a new EU population without thick brick walls in their heads and hearts!

Yes but are all these expats in Thailand claiming money off the government, NO, free health hospital and prescriptions NO, If they was then we would all flock to Thailand, that's a big burden on most countries

• Like 1

As a German, living in Berlin I can ensure every potential sceptic, that many, especially young folks, flock to Berlin cause of it's very unique nature without a second, no match in the entire world!

At a rate of 40-50 K.p.A. "newcomers" it is not really overwhelming number of people, cause Berlin, it's population, hasn't grown over the passed 40 or so wall years, but shrunk! People, Industries, Employers left this city like rats a sinking ship!

Many creative young people are drawn to this city from all over the globe and live happily next to each other, in some clubs one can hear almost every language spoken on this planet, here in Berlin are by now people from 197 different nations registered!

Taking the economic underperformance of some other EU-countries into account it is understandable what is happening right now, UK faces the same flood of migrating workers manly from eastern EU memberstates!

While som of the expats, commenting here, enjoy their stay in the Kingdom of Thailand, please be generous and let others enjoy their lives in their country of choice too!

Who knows what this will bring in the future, maybe some very positive new development, a new EU population without thick brick walls in their heads and hearts!

Hmmm. Germany. Hipster heaven capital of the world. Who would have thought it.

Edited by zydeco

Yet, judging by your TV call name you prefer to enjoy the cultural diversity in Koh Samui? Correct me if I am wrong, please.

BTW, may I ask you "as a German, living in Berlin" - On which side of the now extinct WALL of Berlin are you living? Geography does count, ... sometimes.

The reason I'm asking this is as follows:

The Germans living in former West Berlin tend to complain about uncontrolled migrations.

The Germans living in former East Berlin tend to welcome migrant 'brothers'.

There must be some difference? Could you explain this phenomenon?

Some TV members might think I am stupid. Some others might think I am being sarcastic. I prefer to think I have a rare case of humor - black!

Edited by ABCer

Music to my ears.

You can thank Merkel for that, and here lies your German Empire.

Once Britain and possibly France leave the EU, all the migration will focus on Germany and they will be arriving in their millions and drive down your salaries and drive up your rents.

Good luck with your empire.

On the other hand with only Germany being able to bail out all the other countries in the EU, good luck to the rest of Europe making it on their own (especially France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Greece) as Germany will need all of its resources to sustain its population growth from immigration. The German empire lives and Europe collapses, UK goes into economic stagnation. Maybe being narrow-minded and selfish is not the best course for the EU countries.

Which dystopia is this? If anything the German economy will eventually stagnate and be overtaken by a dynamic UK economy. And all those countries you slate did fine before the concept of the EU stuffed it up and got into their affairs.

It's kind of ironic that this is happening to Germany, with Merkel championing free migration while the UK baulks at wasters coming in to steal their welfare. Suck it up, dar ling. I can tell you a great swathe of the German populace do not like it and also want out. Bloody politicians, it's all about themselves, why don't they listen to their people!

• Like 1

It's not an immigrant influx, it is a Tsunami. Leeches from all over the world flooding in to tap into the generous social services system, whilst the German working class is bled dry. It's the immigrants' luck that the Germans have been brainwashed into submission, giving them the racism whip whenever they would oppose to accepting immigrants. The time will come when the anger level is stirred up high enough to ignite civil war. By then it will be too late...

..... If anything the German economy will eventually stagnate and be overtaken by a dynamic UK economy. And all those countries you slate did fine before the concept of the EU stuffed it up and got into their affairs .....

Just recently, UK has received a DEMAND for an additional contribution to the EU (ugh!!) to the tune of GBP 1.7 BILLION because its economy has grown to such a large extent. Next in the list of those told to pay-up is Netherlands with a demand for about 1/3 that of UK, followed by Italy & Greece. Yes, that's right, even poor ol' Greece is being told to pay an extra contribution.

The same exercise will give Germany a REBATE of GBP 614 million, implying that its economy isn't performing too well. France is set for a GBP 790 million rebate, the biggest rebate of all. Most other countries will also receive a rebate.

The well-publicised Greek bailout of recent years was, apparently, funded largely by Germany. So the Greeks are penalised by the repayment of their debt to Germany and THEN have to contribute to an German rebate.

You couldn't make up this EU garbage, could you!!! Plenty of advantages in it for the former Eastern bloc countries, plus France & Germany, but next-to-nothing for places like UK.

Seems the old adage "He who pays the piper calls the tune" doesn't apply in the strange world of the EU.

..... If anything the German economy will eventually stagnate and be overtaken by a dynamic UK economy. And all those countries you slate did fine before the concept of the EU stuffed it up and got into their affairs .....

Just recently, UK has received a DEMAND for an additional contribution to the EU (ugh!!) to the tune of GBP 1.7 BILLION because its economy has grown to such a large extent. Next in the list of those told to pay-up is Netherlands with a demand for about 1/3 that of UK, followed by Italy & Greece. Yes, that's right, even poor ol' Greece is being told to pay an extra contribution.

The same exercise will give Germany a REBATE of GBP 614 million, implying that its economy isn't performing too well. France is set for a GBP 790 million rebate, the biggest rebate of all. Most other countries will also receive a rebate.

The well-publicised Greek bailout of recent years was, apparently, funded largely by Germany. So the Greeks are penalised by the repayment of their debt to Germany and THEN have to contribute to an German rebate.

You couldn't make up this EU garbage, could you!!! Plenty of advantages in it for the former Eastern bloc countries, plus France & Germany, but next-to-nothing for places like UK.

Seems the old adage "He who pays the piper calls the tune" doesn't apply in the strange world of the EU.

Indeed ..... but only if you look for logic in politics w00t.gif

The Germans are smart and make great beer. They invest in renewable energy while in Australia we have an ultra right winged conservative idiot called "Abbott and Co" who believe in nothing but burning coal and building more and more and more roads keeping the likes of Shell and Exxon happy as a pig in shit and that is where we will be if there is not intelligent change away from fossil fuels.