Best part of the cow to make my own hamburger and to buy

WilliamCave

I found a supplier of imported beef products .

There hamburger from Australia is 350 baht a kilo

I was wanting to buy the meat and grind it my self so I can get a better burger

My question would be what is the best cut from. Cow to turn in to hamburger ?

And has anyone bought meat from the this company before www.superiorqualityfood.com

Another question is does anyone know of other places in bkk that sell imported meats ?

Thanks in advance

What you put in is what you get out. A perfect marbled wagyu scotch fillet would produce lovely tender mince with just the right amount of tasty fat.....but most people would consider it blasphemy to mince wagyu.

Basically, any cheap cut that has an amount of fat is fine for a burger patty. Too lean and it will be dry, too fatty and, well you can guess.

A real cheap, tough cut would need very fine mincing.

If you are importing from Oz, the you will be assured that it was raised, slaughtered, hung and butchered properly so even a cheap cut will produce a good patty...as long ass you have that fat content.

I used to be a meat inspector, certifying (amongst other things) beef for the American burger market. Fact: No prime beef was ever exported for burgers. It was all the old dairy cows and old bulls.

My advice is use local beef for mincing. As long as the fat content is there, you won't know the difference. Rump is a tastier cut than say shin or bolar. Cheek and diaphragm are tough (and super cheap) but tasty, perfect for burgers if you obtain some extra fat. Rump fat is tasty.

• Like 2

To ad to this topic I am now looking for a good meat grinder I looked on the Internet and from what I read a mirture of chuck and short lion .

Any feed back thanks

As I said, no need for expensive imported high quality cuts....chuck is cheap and tough. Loin has the fat. Chuck to bulk it up (for economy).

Buy local, save some money and contribute to the economy.

What you put in is what you get out. A perfect marbled wagyu scotch fillet would produce lovely tender mince with just the right amount of tasty fat.....but most people would consider it blasphemy to mince wagyu.

Basically, any cheap cut that has an amount of fat is fine for a burger patty. Too lean and it will be dry, too fatty and, well you can guess.

A real cheap, tough cut would need very fine mincing.

If you are importing from Oz, the you will be assured that it was raised, slaughtered, hung and butchered properly so even a cheap cut will produce a good patty...as long ass you have that fat content.

I used to be a meat inspector, certifying (amongst other things) beef for the American burger market. Fact: No prime beef was ever exported for burgers. It was all the old dairy cows and old bulls.

My advice is use local beef for mincing. As long as the fat content is there, you won't know the difference. Rump is a tastier cut than say shin or bolar. Cheek and diaphragm are tough (and super cheap) but tasty, perfect for burgers if you obtain some extra fat. Rump fat is tasty.

I just talked to the supplier and was told they also sell Oz beef products that is the direction I am going .

I don't mind paying for a good cut to make my own hamburger

Thanks

The very reason for making hamburger commercially is to use meat that wouldn't otherwise be very palatable. An aged dairy cow which isn't even of a breed to make good tender beef can be completely made into decent hamburger, as an example. also scraps that are inevitable from butchering are used for that.

If you want gourmet hamburger you use gourmet meat such as the best steaks. Next down the line you would use roast type meat from a prime beef animal. Shoulder and rump roast come to mind.

I grew up on a very large wheat and cattle ranch in the Western US. For our own table, and for the hired helps' bunkhouse food, we chose prime animals and finished them (fed them specially and kept them penned up so they wouldn't exercise and get tough muscles while burning off fat) and we used mostly shoulder or rump for hamburger because a hamburger tastes very good once in a while.

If you've grown up with it, you know that store hamburger is made from the healthy and sound animals that simply won't make good beef because they are the wrong breed or perhaps are a bit old from being used for breeding. This is why hamburger is normally fairly cheap and abundant.

I have used the trim from tenderloins to make burgers and have also seen the entire cow used. With the whole cow the burger lasted a long time under refrigeration because there was little time for bacteria growth from slaughter to packaging. I use a food chopper, see photo below, to grind the meat. Thai beef is stinky to me. I use a number of methods to cover up the odor and taste.

For the food chopper freeze chunks the beef a bit before mincing and it works as well as a grinder with the advantage you can stop when at the desired size.

post-187908-0-00095900-1415075708_thumb.

• Like 1

The very reason for making hamburger commercially is to use meat that wouldn't otherwise be very palatable. An aged dairy cow which isn't even of a breed to make good tender beef can be completely made into decent hamburger, as an example. also scraps that are inevitable from butchering are used for that.

If you want gourmet hamburger you use gourmet meat such as the best steaks. Next down the line you would use roast type meat from a prime beef animal. Shoulder and rump roast come to mind.

I grew up on a very large wheat and cattle ranch in the Western US. For our own table, and for the hired helps' bunkhouse food, we chose prime animals and finished them (fed them specially and kept them penned up so they wouldn't exercise and get tough muscles while burning off fat) and we used mostly shoulder or rump for hamburger because a hamburger tastes very good once in a while.

If you've grown up with it, you know that store hamburger is made from the healthy and sound animals that simply won't make good beef because they are the wrong breed or perhaps are a bit old from being used for breeding. This is why hamburger is normally fairly cheap and abundant.

The United States has overtaken Japan as Australia's single largest beef export market.

With the US cattle herd at a 60 year low, hamburger chains are seeking alternatives, and Australia has filled the gap.

Called '90 cl beef', or manufacturing beef, the high volume low price beef is in hot demand, and Australian exports of it to the US have increased by 34 per cent on last year.

Australia's cattle numbers are heading towards their lowest in 20 years.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-15/nrn-beef-update/5597472

the size of the total U.S. cattle herd has shrunk to its lowest point in more than 60 years.

Rather than serve conventionally raised steak, we recently began sourcing some steak from ranches in Southern Australia, which is among the very best places in the world for raising beef cattle entirely on grass.

http://beefmagazine.com/blog/chipotle-s-beef-american-beef-frustrates-us-ranchers

Lean ground beef $5.82 per pound in USA Sept 2014 http://www.bls.gov/ro3/apmw.htm

Neversure is right most commercial hamburger meat comes from 20-30 year old dairy cattle which are past their sell by date.

Gourmet burgers are a different entity.

Ah I see another meeting of the "society for the preservation of old wives tales."

Sorry boys, there are not even close to being enough dairy cattle in the world to meet the needs of the burger industry let alone all the other uses of ground beef. It's not that the old dairy cattle are not used but there is not nearly enough to satisfy the demand.

Domestic cows can live to 20 years, however those raised for dairy rarely live that long, as the average cow is removed from the dairy herd around age four and marketed for beef.[9][11] In 2009, approximately 19% of the US beef supply came from cull dairy cows:

9 million cows (are) on U.S. dairy farms (today)—about 13 million fewer than there were in 1950

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_cattle

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

hand crank meat grinder available in from of most Makro stores.

Or Ma and Pa hardware stores but usually not on display so you have to ask. Difficult if you don't speak Thai and pantomiming a meat grinder would be a real treat!

I use the Thai boneless sirloin that they sell at the walking market in my village. I trim all of the gristle out and grind it but I add about 20% fat. I sometimes have to use pork fat as the cattle are very lean and do not have a lot of fat. Another cut is the "hump" of the Brahma. It is usually well marbled because it doesn't get any exercise. The hump is a;also very good slowly braised.

Beef chuck is used for many of the better burgers in the States, but many other parts of the cow are good for burgers as well. What most burger connoisseurs do agree on, is that good burger meat contains around 20% fat to insure a good juicy and flavorful burger.

We have a small guesthouse and cafe. I buy Thai 'A' fillet, which is very lean, and grind it up for my steak burgers. We pay about 400 THB per kilo for 'A' fillet. I add +/- 20% suet (fat) from the market to the fillet and then grind it twice. Based on sampling over the last 5+ years, I suspect we serve some of the best burgers in the Kingdom. I can put a nice 1/3 lb burger with home baked bun on the table with all the trimmings plus an American size order of fries for 180 to 220 THB.

I use the same beef for cheesesteak sandwiches. I do no t serve any steaks with this fillet as I don't feel like the Thai beef is of adequate quality. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I always thought "ham"burgers are made from ham (pork). Beefburgers are made from beef

ham·burg·er
ˈhamˌbərɡər/
noun
noun: hamburger; plural noun: hamburgers
  1. a round patty of ground beef, fried or grilled and typically served on a bun or roll and garnished with various condiments.
    • North American
      ground beef.

I always thought "ham"burgers are made from ham (pork). Beefburgers are made from beef

From google:

The common belief is that the American hamburger borrowed its name from a dish called "Hamburg Style Beef" or "Hamburg Steak" which arrived in the United States from the German city of Hamburg in the 19th century. The dish was nothing more than chopped meat eaten raw.

Try cow's brain. Awesome...

In the United Kingdom, the country worst affected, more than 180,000 cattle have been infected and 4.4 million slaughtered during the eradication program.[2] The disease may be most easily transmitted to human beings by eating food contaminated with the brain, spinal cord or digestive tract of infected carcasses.

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy

Déjà vu, I think the Forum already did this topic...

Started by umbanda, 2014-08-14 18:33 -- 70 replies
meatboy #8
Posted 2014-08-15 06:53:51
"the difference is,a hamburger is pork,and a beefburger is beef. easy to make your own,nice big burger buns at makro."

AyG #10

Posted 2014-08-15 08:17:47
"Not really. Hamburger is from "Hamburg steak", Hamburg being a city in Germany, and a Hamburg steak being chopped beef shaped into a patty. The "ham" doesn't refer to the meat. The term originated in the early 20th century. Subsequently the term "beefburger" was invented to make the meat more explicit."
... etc ...etc

For a good burger use half Pork and half Beef with bread crumbs, egg and Tabasco sauce tongue.png

We use the cheapest that the local fresh market has

No need for quality beef as you are going to grill it

We're u getting your bread crumbs

Villa, Foodland etc I have even seen them in some branches of Big C. Pattaya & Phuket I think. Maybe Chonburi.