Coleman's Mustard?

Janni

Does anyone know where to get marmite from? Would be eternally grateful if someone could lead me to the prize!

Again.... Villa on sujk 33 have it as they do cocktail sauce etc etc - however i hate to promote this store as they make no other effort and must be making a fortune with the prices charged. ....... Still its the best for imports i found so far (incl Marmite).

Marmite I can find in most towns ...... what I miss is a nice mug of hot Bovril at night, or before going out in the evening.

Definitely not available as the ubiquitous Marmite. Any suggestions (esp. around Pattaya)?

Best Supermarket at Dolphin roundabout North Pattaya sells Bovril as well as Marmite from New Zealand and Vegemite from Aus.

Hope this helps

Best Supermarket at Dolphin roundabout North Pattaya sells Bovril as well as Marmite from New Zealand and Vegemite from Aus.

Hope this helps

I'll be queuing up there tomorrow morning - 7.00 a.m. !

I live in S. Patty, so seldom do supermarket shopping in Pattaya Nua.

(But I enjoy some of the bars in that area, and one or two Thai restaurants)

Tutsiwarrior

Thanks for the info. I have use the local flavorings and they are good. Especially the siracha sauce, but if I had a choice I would rather have cocktail sauce. The kind made from ketchup and horseradish (not mayo). I think for now I will continue to bring my own with me.

Jim

Just as an FYI, if you are in Samui, Sanpetch Market in Nathon is great for lots of different western foods, and Colibris in Chaweng has alot of meats and sausages (Yum, real ham not that awful CP stuff). Phuket, I imagine, is chockablock with western foods, hit the Tesco Lotus there once and was overwhelmed by the selection, but then, I live at the back of beyond, so any selection is an overwhelming selection for me :o

Calling all Brits, have you seen Bisto gravy anywhere in Bangkok? A friend of mine brings his back from the UK, its good but seems alot of hassle if it can be found in Thailand.

Hi tutsi,

I second sbk's query regarding Bisto gravy granuels...I don't like much about the UK but I do like gravy on the mash when that is the only thing on my plate in these wild hinterlands

If you want i'll tell you how to make "fond brune" which is a basis for all your brown sauces like gravy . You have an oven so you can make 2 liters easy at one time.

Let me know.

zen

hi guys,

I'll put it here in about 30 minutes.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=7806&st=15&hl=

This is not really ready to use gravy, it is a Beef/veal stock (brown coulour) which is used as a basis for other sauces. It's really the foundations of french cuisine, they also call them Fonds which means basis or foundation.

Mainly you got 3 different type: Fond Brun (brown stock) Fond Blanc ( white clear stock) and Fumet de poisson (fish stock).

There are some other stronger ones extrapolated from these to make tomato sauces ect...

If you use these to deglaze your pan after cooking the meat you'll add a lot of flavour and you've got instant gravy

You'll need at least a large cooking pot , a large pan or preferably an oven with a baking tray. and a Gas cooker , electric is not strong enough.

Cooking time at least 6 hours!! you don't need to stirr it for that long :o but you need to be around to check on it.

Zen

Sure tutsi, but i can't take it out as the the recipe changes of course.

I have no trouble finding all the ingredients i need for european cooking. Most supermarkets in thailand like tesco and carrefour carry most basic items like tomato paste, butter and cream ect. Of course i don't know where you live now..

I'll put it on how it has to be made, if you can't find something you can probably replace it with something else, just ask me.

For tomato paste just use a lot more fresch tomato's and it will be the same.

butter can be changed in to oil, cream like you said into yoghurt or milk.

one moment still , i was half way and lost my typing because my browser locked up.... :o

Zen

If you can get tomatoes you can make tomato paste. Might be worth making a batch and freezing it for future use. Same thing with Zen's stocks. Lots of cooks make them up, store them in useable sized containers in their freezers.

Remember that Google is your friend. Try using "Tomato Paste Recipe" as the search (without the quotes) and you will find a number of recipes for making your own tomato sauce and paste.

Jeepz

you can get it everywhere but it is under a different name. Go to the section where international sauces and mayonnaise is and look for the yellow box that looks like Colemans and it is the same thing. For anything else that you need go to the Villa Market and they have all the stuff you can't find anywhere else. There is one near the Asok sky train station and one on Soi Sang Luan about 8 blocks down from Central Chitlom.