3-spice(s)

Kanga Japan

Not sure.

There is สามรส (SAM ROT, three tastes) which refers to sour, sweet, and salty. Traditionally, the sour is tamarind pulp, the sweet, palm sugar, and the salty, fish sauce. Often combined in a sauce for deep fried fish.

Any idea if the garlic is fresh or deep fried? And is the coriander leaf or seeds?

Searching for the possible literal translations of "3 spices" hasn't throw up anything relevant.

• Like 1

Dear AyG,

Thank you for that information.

SAM ROT

I already had SAM ROT on my list, however I had it shown as 'sweet, sour and spicy'. After receiving your reply, I was a little unsure, so I checked up on the internet. Many sites list it as 'sweet, sour and spicy', however one quite reliable source showed it as 'sweet, sour and salty' (same as you had). Should I change it to 'sweet, sour and salty', do you think?

THREE SPICES

I came across this term on a Japanese recipe (by a Japanese lady who very well-known in the Thai food industry here). She did live in Thailand for a while and is involved in vast array of Thai food related businesses, however I do not actually know how reliable her information is. I looked it up on the internet and there was a Thai restaurant chain called Three Spice Thai Kitchen and also some Thai-related recipes mentioning that term.

The Japanese recipe indicates fresh garlic, whole peppercorns and coriander roots - to be pounded lightly. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best regards

One of the most popular dishes in a seafood restaurant is, ปลาสามรส

I have never had it taste the same in the many restaurants I have visited, especially in tourist areas.

Too many places these days just use a pack of Aroi Dee ready mixed spices and pour in on top.

I NEVER order Mattsaman curry in a restaurant, there is no way on Gawds earth its possible to make a Mattsaman from scratch and serve it for eating 30 minutes later.

Another term you may wish to look for is aharn boran, where has the garlic and ginger gone these days?

What my MIL cooks as a Mattsaman curry is almost impossible to find these days.

Same with ต้มยำกุ้ง every where I go know, its just bloody bland, I remember going to different regions and each would have its own version.

Take a look at the range of powders and ready mixed packets available these days in any place like Tesco, Big C or Tops etc etc.

The art of cooking is a lost art these days (IMHO) to many people dont have the time to prepare the food, they either buy it from a street shop to take home, or just buy a pack of ready made spices.

Sorry for the rant, but depending on where you are, Thai food aint what it used to be.

I NEVER order Mattsaman curry in a restaurant, there is no way on Gawds earth its possible to make a Mattsaman from scratch and serve it for eating 30 minutes later.

I was eating at a friend's house one night and we almost didn't get to eat all. Why? Because he was religiously following a recipe for (Malaysian) Beef Rendang.

He had started cooking when he got to the last line in the recipe. It said 'now leave the dish to stand for 3 days'.

I guess all that bacteria must work great for bringing out the true texture and flavour! Yumma Yumma!

Finally got it: สามสหาย - SAM SAHAY. A paste of garlic, black pepper and coriander root. Not a particularly common term.

SAHAY means เพื่อนร่วมสุขร่วมทุกข์ - loosely translated, friends who stick together through happiness and suffering.

• Like 1

Dear AyG,

Thank you for spending so much time, searching for that. I appreciate it and thank you also for the explanation.

That reminds me of a dish we made during one of my Thai cooking classes (15 years ago now). It was a recipe for small pork/chicken mince patties with lots of garlic. My teacher called it SAP SONG SAHAY (SAP, she explained, meant hit, chop, etc.).

I don't think we're to the bottom of this yet.

Reading today's Bangkok Post there's a restaurant review that reads "minced pork and shrimp seasoned with sam klor [a Thai culinary term for white pepper, coriander root and garlic]". My first guess is that "sam klor" is สามคลอ (SAM KHLO), KHLO meaning "to accompany". Before I try to dig further, does anyone know recognise this term and know the correct Thai spelling?

My first guess was wrong. It's สามเกลอ (SAM KLO), KLO meaning "comrade", "pal", "close friend". Very similar in meaning to สามสหาย (SAM SAHAY).

I need to correct my ingredients for SAM SAHAY. The source where I first encountered the term described it as containing black peppercorns. However, virtually all other sources just say PHRIK THAI, which I take to mean white peppercorns.

So, both terms for a paste of coriander root, garlic and white peppercorns.

SAM KLO is the more popular term based upon Google hits.

• Like 1

My first guess is that "sam klor" is สามคลอ (SAM KHLO), KHLO meaning "to accompany". Before I try to dig further, does anyone know recognise this term and know the correct Thai spelling?

My wife seems to think that terms like สามหย่าง (sam yang), สามสิ่ง (sam sing), or สามอัน (sam aan) would normally be used in conversation. Effectively it just means "three things". สามเกลอ (sam gluuhr) would mean three friends or three acquaintances and may be the spelling AyG is looking for.

• Like 1