Thai editorial: Time to sober up, Koh Pha-ngan

webfact

The country is incapable of zoning anything. Look at Bangkok or any city. You never know if a Karaoke shop will start next door. Tourism is no different, and shows the issue even better.

Name one place that has been zoned properly, developed with an intent to maintain cleanliness, natural beauty, space, and aesthetics such as noise and visual images, whether architecture design or billboards, etc.

Name one.

I can't.

Last time I was on Koh Pang Gnan was 1991. We stayed in a hut on the beach. I dont think there were more than one or 2 guest houses and maybe a restaurant. I dont recall electricity. I do recall a guy who lived there in some place who had a pet bear. A black bear. It was very hot and on a leash, slept most of the day.

The country is incapable of zoning anything. Look at Bangkok or any city. You never know if a Karaoke shop will start next door. Tourism is no different, and shows the issue even better.

Name one place that has been zoned properly, developed with an intent to maintain cleanliness, natural beauty, space, and aesthetics such as noise and visual images, whether architecture design or billboards, etc.

Name one.

I can't.

Last time I was on Koh Pang Gnan was 1991. We stayed in a hut on the beach. I dont think there were more than one or 2 guest houses and maybe a restaurant. I dont recall electricity. I do recall a guy who lived there in some place who had a pet bear. A black bear. It was very hot and on a leash, slept most of the day.

I have trouble imaging a hot bear, but hey ho, each to their own, maybe the drugs were more powerful back then but for the life of me I can't remember.............................coffee1.gif

Edited by fab4

Name one.

I can't.

I have trouble imaging a hot bear, but hey ho, each to their own, maybe the drugs were more powerful back then but for the life of me I can't remember.............................coffee1.gif

never seen a bear or even a Labrador Retriever in Thailand, pacing and drooling, panting from the heat? they look HOT.

I recall the guy rescued the bear from one of those restaurants that sell the bile. Not sure how powerful a glass of bile is.. never tried it. Maybe you have?

If anyone wants peace and quiet on Koh Phangan, head up to Mae Haad / Koh Ma, on the NW corner, very quiet after 10 pm even during FMP time... actually very quiet all day, even when there is lots of people! thumbsup.gif

Several nice resorts there in all price ranges~! and arely do you see drunken fools there too... in fact in ten years of staying on that beach, I cannot remember running into that....

As for not so many people at this time of year, it's rainy season, so that would be a good reason... whistling.gif

Sorry pal... that's not correct. They have their share of parties... no where was exempt.

I beg to disagree but I am correct... I travel and stay there often...even now I live here, even around FTM times, and never seen a rowdy party in Mae Haad, .... it's generally filled during the day with beach goers and lunch at Island View Cabana , which is probably one of the busiest lunch and afternoon places to go on any of the islands, with good food too, but by evening it's generally very quiet...

Fair play. Mae Haad is perhaps the ONLY beach without a party... There are plenty of parties and bars that make plenty of noise all up the west coast however. Pirate moon at Sritanu, and of course the entire haad yao plays house and techno all day for public consumption. (Think your view of the cabana is a tad OTT too, but to each his own, right...)

Those rowdy backpackers eh? Let's save Koh Pha-ngan for the older, more responsible, quality expats

ThailandFarang26.jpg

Perhaps one of the early backpackers, young 3 decades ago, whom never left the party island... laugh.png

mmmmmm.... He may only be in his thirties now.rolleyes.gif

Those rowdy backpackers eh? Let's save Koh Pha-ngan for the older, more responsible, quality expats

ThailandFarang26.jpg

Perhaps one of the early backpackers, young 3 decades ago, whom never left the party island... laugh.png

mmmmmm.... He may only be in his thirties now.rolleyes.gif

So that's where he is! His students will love to know how their teacher spends his sick days laugh.png