Where the hell are all these dead ants coming from?

darkian

Every morning I find dead red ants in my apartment, usually in the same locations. They seem drawn to my internet router, and go inside it (I took it apart and found about 100 carcasses in there - maybe they're attracted at night by the blinking lights?). I've just returned from a week away and there are at least 1000 dead ants, in two main swarms.

Occasionally I see them alive, but almost always it's just a sea of dead ones. What the hell is going on? I've tried blocking small holes I've noticed where the wallpaper meets the ceiling, also sprayed repellant around.

Would it be worthwhile getting a company in to bugspray? Or is this a matter for the building management? They seem uninterested in the food in the kitchen, but I don't keep much food here and none of it is sugary.

The ants aren't causing me any real bother other than having to clear them up, but ultimately it's not so good to have them around.

Any advice appreciated!

Edited by darkian

I think they are attracted by the electromagnetic fields.

I've had ants nesting in and ruining a TV/Monitor and a portable hard drive so don't be surprised if your router goes bad.

Try to get hold of some boric acid mix it into some bait sweet, savoury or oily depending on what the ants are foraging for,they will eat the bait and take it back to the nest killing the whole colony , it takes a while to work but uses no harmfull ( to humans ) chemicals.

post-2109-0-36203800-1414231485_thumb.jp
post-2109-0-05832800-1414231469_thumb.jp
Edited by johng

Maybe someone has inadvertently imported some Crazy Ants from the US.

"As the ants have advanced into new habitats, they've had the annoying habit of swarming inside electronics..."

http://www.livescience.com/37720-crazy-ants-invade-electronics.html

That's very interesting, because I have also found them surrounding the back of the fridge. I also wonder if they go into the AC and get blown out onto the floor. However I don't understand why there are so many dead ones outside of the appliances, unless they're able to escape and die afterwards. I have seen some climbing out of the router, not making it very far and then dying.

Thanks for the boric acid mix idea John, maybe I'll try that.

• 4 years later...

I keep finding dead red ants inside and outside my closet. I cleaned up the area and moved the closet out into the hallway and later I found more dead red ants inside and outside the closet. I sealed the edges and opening with adhesive cocking glue and I still have the same problem. Spraying does not help either and neither does poison ant food.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:12 PM, TRJ82 said:

I keep finding dead red ants inside and outside my closet. I cleaned up the area and moved the closet out into the hallway and later I found more dead red ants inside and outside the closet. I sealed the edges and opening with adhesive cocking glue and I still have the same problem. Spraying does not help either and neither does poison ant food.

Burn it